Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-24-2016, 09:36 AM   #1

SUN #7411
wallybrau is an unknown quantity at this point
Accumulator Tank & Silencer Kit

I am replacing by Water pump and considering adding both an accumulator tank and silencing kit ( actually will make my own since it's basically just 2 - 3foot lengths of tubing)

Does anyone have any experience or recommendation on the placement of each.

I think there are two options:

1) Install one of the silence kit tubes in between the pump and accumulator: Water Tank > Silence Kit Tube > Pump > Silence Kit Tube > Accumulator > main water pipe

or

2) Install one of the silence kit tubes after the pump and accumulator: Water Tank > Silence Kit Tube > Pump > Accumulator > Silence Kit Tube > main water pipe

Thank you

John

Old 06-25-2016, 06:35 AM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallybrau View Post
I am replacing by Water pump and considering adding both an accumulator tank and silencing kit ( actually will make my own since it's basically just 2 - 3foot lengths of tubing)

Does anyone have any experience or recommendation on the placement of each.

I think there are two options:

1) Install one of the silence kit tubes in between the pump and accumulator: Water Tank > Silence Kit Tube > Pump > Silence Kit Tube > Accumulator > main water pipe

or

2) Install one of the silence kit tubes after the pump and accumulator: Water Tank > Silence Kit Tube > Pump > Accumulator > Silence Kit Tube > main water pipe

Thank you

John
The value of the accumulator tanks is well known. The tank has to be installed after the pump and before the hot water tank. Most folks look for a good place to put the tank and then decide how and where to connect to the water line.

In looking over the instructions for both purchased and home-brew silencers, the soft tubing has to be connected to both sides of the pump at the pump to isolate the pump from the hard tubing in the rest of the trailer.

Taking those two basic facts, your install should be:

Hard line from tank --->>> first soft tube --->>> pump inlet/pump outlet --->>> second soft tube --->>> hard tube to hot and cold lines. If it was my install, I'd look to place the TEE for the accumulator tank at the far end of the second soft tube if at all possible. That would simplify the install by using the TEE to transition back to the hard tubing as well as feed the accumulator tank.

Both of these are on my to-do list, but not near the top. Once I get back on my feet in September, I may tackle this in the Cougar.

Let us know how it goes, and post pics!

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
A silencer in a low pressure water system is really a waste of time it's only for banging pipes when a valve is closed. An accumulator is big plus in an RV and well worth the effort. I have a 2 gallon one in mine (yes it's hard to find the space) but what a difference it reduced the cycle time by 70% saving both noise and battery power. The small ones help any thing is an improvement but the bigger the better.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #4

SUN #2943
Tod Osier is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
A silencer in a low pressure water system is really a waste of time it's only for banging pipes when a valve is closed. An accumulator is big plus in an RV and well worth the effort. I have a 2 gallon one in mine (yes it's hard to find the space) but what a difference it reduced the cycle time by 70% saving both noise and battery power. The small ones help any thing is an improvement but the bigger the better.
I second the 2 gallon tank. I put a residential plumbing 2 gallon one in mine and am very happy. They hold a lot of water and work great.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tod Osier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #5

SUN #7411
wallybrau is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks all. I ended up installing a looped flexible tube in between the tank and the pump inlet ( mostly because of the location of each). The pump outlet is directly connected to the accumulator and then directly connected into the main water line. After giving it try, I decided I didn't really need to add another looped flexible tube on the pump outlet in between the pump and accumulator. The setup is WAY quieter than the previous 25 year old pump that it replaced ( not sure how much of the noise reduction I can attribute to the new pump versus the flex-tube "silencer". I am pretty happy that the whole project took less than an hour with no real surprises. First trip with the new setup is this weekend...
Old 08-09-2016, 05:55 AM   #6

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry I'm late on this but just noticed it. One important note on tank placement. You need to install it so that it drains to the line it's connected to or water may stay in the line after winterizing. The internal pressure will push the water out of the tank but not beyond the water line if lower than the supply it's connected to.

Another advantage to these tanks: Your electric pump draws max amperage every time it starts. Without the tank, it starts several times while running water. With a tank it starts once, fills the tank and turns off saving the battery with far less starts.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #7

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah a standard 1/2" flex hose does help a lot with the noise. My pump is mounted on a foam pad and along with the accumulator I not really sure when it's on!