Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #1

SUN #1549
wesleyfurr is an unknown quantity at this point
94 T-2251 Scissor Jacks?

My parents have a 94 T-2251. Dad is interested in putting the crank-down scissor type jacks on it, and has mentioned he'd like a set for Christmas. My concern is if there is enough ground clearance to prevent them from dragging on something. Does anyone here have a similar unit with those type jacks?

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wesley

PS - this might just be my first post here. We have an 89 T-2000 we bought in the spring of 2007. My parents bought theirs a couple of years ago after I found one on Craigslist for them.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:22 AM   #2

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Run a string from the rear corner of the trailer to the bottom of the rear tire. Anything hanging below that can possibly drag. Same for the front.

My T-1700 has scissor jacks on the rear and I can see where they could drag, though I haven't had it happen yet. I just try to be cautious about inclines and take the steep ones at an angle.

I just ordered a set of BAL scissors jacks for the front that close up to less than 4". Most I found were 4" or slightly more.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:04 AM   #3

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
I installed two on the rear of our 92 T-2470 and with the addition of two heavy duty swivel casters back there, never had a problem. I never did put any at the front.

Our 2007 T-2499 has 4 factory installed scissor jacks and sits a little higher, but one time, coming out of a driveway with an arched crest, the L/S front jack became twisted up and I had to replace it. In that case, the ground under that jack rose above a straight line from the wheel to the front lower corner of the trailer.

Maybe the fronts could be mounted in such a way that they could be swivelled up after retracting?

Just a thought.
Rich
vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:12 AM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the exact same trailer and mounted four on it with no problems. The trailer wasn't lifted either. I did put rollers on the back skid bars, similar to Rich, and never had any issues with the jacks hitting.

FYI, scissor jacks are usually sold in pairs, not individually. So two boxes will do the whole trailer, you won't need four boxes.

I just bought replacements for my '97 from Liftco. They are made here in the US and seem to be a quality jack, at a good price. I don't think they usually sell retail, they mostly sell to dealers and manufacturers, but they had no issues selling to me when I called them.

Jacks - Liftco - RV Beds, Flush Floor Systems, RV Folding Beds, Glide Outs, Manual Roller Slideouts, RV Beds, Stabilizing Systems, and more!
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #5

SUN #1549
wesleyfurr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
Run a string from the rear corner of the trailer to the bottom of the rear tire. Anything hanging below that can possibly drag. Same for the front.

My T-1700 has scissor jacks on the rear and I can see where they could drag, though I haven't had it happen yet. I just try to be cautious about inclines and take the steep ones at an angle.

I just ordered a set of BAL scissors jacks for the front that close up to less than 4". Most I found were 4" or slightly more.
Thank you very much! Stating the obvious (use a string!) was quite helpful. I snuck next door to check it out while they were away and looks like it will be fine. I found it does actually have skids at the back, and I think they were something like 5.5", so the BAL jacks should work. Thanks for that lead also, got a pair of them from Amazon.com. They'll be under the Christmas tree for him!

I also posted to the RVRepair group on Yahoo Groups and got a few thoughts there too. One I'll share here in case it would be useful to anyone...a removable jack mount...pretty pricey though!

Saveajack - 2pk (Jack Mounting Bracket) - Curry Enterprises SAJ-U - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World

Thanks again to all!

Wesley
Old 12-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #6

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
That looks like too much work for short camping trips IMO.