Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Owners Meet & Greet
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #61

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHutch
Could we use an unoccupied site within the loop for group meals & group camp fires?
I don't know the answer to that one.

I am doubtful about this, but there is certainly no harm in asking. We would probably have to ask at the gate when we get there.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #62

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm thinking NOT for using an unoccupied site.....I think the NYS Parks & Recs authority would have something to say about that!

Kathy

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:55 AM   #63

SUN #93
When Leo and I were up at Grass Point SP, we "re-met" Doug & Lorie, who own a 2363....they will be joining us at site 53!

Also told a local "neighbor" who owns an older Sunline about M&G, they are making plans on attending also......
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 AM   #64

SUN #264
Update on those planning to attend as of August 30, 2007:

37....(PTHutch)...................Mary & Tom
38....(Steve Collins)............Gail & Steve
45....(Poppy & Nana)...........Kathy & Leo
47....(pwb01 & sunlinesheri).Sheri & Paul
52....(mbart5fan)................Judy & Mike
53....(canoe2).....................Lorie & Doug
55....(heaton).....................Harvey

Old 09-08-2007, 07:15 AM   #65

SUN #93
OK - remember when I told you all that I had already called in sick for Saturday....well as it turns out, I will have to be gone that day, no not to work, but to an EMS class, which I need to attend for my continuing education credits....so I'll leave bright and early and return around 5:30 ish! But I'll be around the rest of the weekend!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 09-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #66

SUN #264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana
OK - remember when I told you all that I had already called in sick for Saturday....well as it turns out, I will have to be gone that day, no not to work, but to an EMS class, which I need to attend for my continuing education credits....so I'll leave bright and early and return around 5:30 ish! But I'll be around the rest of the weekend!
Kathy, we'll miss you but we do understand. I was an EMT and AEMT for 20 years, and know only too well the importance of your continuing ed.

(That isn't the annual fireman's school weekend in Old Forge is it?)

We'll save you your spot at dinner and at the campfire.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #67

SUN #93
Steve, no next weekend is Fire School & our 100th Anniversary and we are hosting the Herkimer County Volunteer Firemen's Convention....I'll be flat out next week!

I'm working on year 8 and have achieved AEMT status as well.....
let's see - today we had a
1) MVA /rollover- "I know I was knocked out I just don't know for how long" Seems Mr. Driver was left out in the woods by his friends to sleep it off - after he rolled his truck!
2) Automatic Alarm at Frankie's Italian Restaurant (his new place - no fire but we still had to respond)
3) 82 y/o female, with possible stoke - of course she was sitting on her "thrown"
4) 11 y/o who gets "heart pains" (not chest pain - heart pain) every time his Mother asks him to do something
So we were pretty busy today and "summer is over"!

Anyway I have to go to Utica for classes that day, I'm begging off Friday night....I'd much rather be camping!!!!!

See ya all there!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 09-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #68

SUN #264
Updates: None - the camper list above still holds. Kathy mentioned another couple from the Old Forge area with a Sunline, and yet another couple from there without one. I am not sure how to count folks at this point as I don't know if these two couples want to be in on any group activitives/meals that we might do. Kathy, can you let us know about that?

Mike (mbart5fan) emailed me yesterday and let me know that C Loop is now full for Friday and Saturday nights according to Reserve America.

Sites 40 and 48 are walk-up sites so if there are any last minute attendees, you stand a good chance to get one of these sites if you show up just before noon on Thursday. Any later than that or on Friday, and it's just a roll of the dice. There's no way of knowing outside of calling the campground (315-369-3314) on your planned travel day. That's the best I can offer based on our past camping experiences at Nick's Lake on Columbus Day weekend.

Frankly, I am surprised and please that the loop is full. I looked over Reserve America this morning, and the park is going to be quite full for the weekend. The only events listed on the Old Forge website for this weekend are a foot race up in Big Moose, and the annual craft sale in the village. Gotta be the "leaf peepers"....

Coordination and Communications. Gail and I have a set of the FRS (Motorola Talk About) radios. We have found them to be very handy for siting the trailer and keeping track of grandchildren. Gail makes me carry one when I bike to the store in case she needs something that didn't make to the list. Anyway, if any of you folks have these radios, we use Channel 6 Code 1. If there is a conflict with channels or codes, we can pick another setting. Also, our radios are older models , and do not have the "call" feature.

If you folks prefer, I've got an old CB radio that still works, too.

Our site is right by the entrance into the loop and is visible on entering and exiting the loop. I think I'll bring along an easel and some large paper, and we can post notes and announcements there. That may be helpful, too.

Group meals: Since the loop is full, I guess trying to use an empty site is a non-issue. I see the only possibilities are:

1) Using one of the pavilions in the day use area. I don't know if the is a fee or reservation needed. Pro's are they are big enough for however big the group is. Con's are mostly logistical as they are quite a ways away. We'd have to bring cookers, food, serving stuff, and if anything is forgotten, it's a long drive back to your trailer.

OR:

2) Doing it on someone's site. If the group doesn't grow beyond 18 people, it would only take 3 picnic tables to seat everyone. I know that maybe too much of an imposition for some, and fully understand that. But there is a convenience factor, and nobody is driving anywhere.

If anyone wants to volunteer here, please speak up, and thank you in advance.

We have one of those 10'x10' shelters. If there are one or two more available in the group, we may want to pool resources and create some shelter for the picnic tables for the group meals.

I also have a two propane powered stoves and plenty of multiple hookups for propane tanks.

Group activity: Our first choice is the train trip. There are trains at 10:00, 12:30, and 2:45.

Campfire: Kathy, how much wood do you think we'd need? Anybody want to host it at their site?

One other thought: we probably need to touch base with the park staff and let them know that we're there and will be doing some very low key group activities on our campsites. We'll want to reassure them that we're totally willing to follow all the rules, and not be an annoyance to anyone.

Anybody else got any ideas or concerns?

Old 09-18-2007, 11:47 AM   #69

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
We have a 10’ canopy that we’ll bring along.

We vote for the 10am train ride. Will we need reservations?

If the weather’s nice we’d like to rent some kayaks and do some kayaking in the afternoon. Anyone interested in joining us?
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #70

SUN #264
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHutch
We have a 10’ canopy that we’ll bring along.

We vote for the 10am train ride. Will we need reservations?

If the weather’s nice we’d like to rent some kayaks and do some kayaking in the afternoon. Anyone interested in joining us?
Two canopies may be enough. I have a Fish Creek Lean-Too that extends one end of the canopy by about 5 1/2 feet. If someone has another one, that will be great. I also have two 12'x12' dining canopies and some tarps for the sides if needed. (Remembering that there's no guarantee of 70 and sunny in the Adirondacks in the fall... )

Reservations are not needed for the train ride. There have always been many empty seats in the passenger cars in the past in the fall. And there is at least one cargo car that they open the doors and put fences across the openings. Many people just hang out there to get a better open air view of the scenery.

I like taking the early train, leaving time for something else in the afternoon. We will probably bring our canoe and just poke around Nick's Lake. Some of that depends on Gail's energy level in the afternoon.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #71

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
We'd be interested in the kayaks and we also have a 10x10 canopy we can bring along.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #72

SUN #105
mbart5fan
Hutch,

We don't leave home without our kayaks and would love to paddle with all of you. I agree on the 10:00 AM train, the days are getting shorter so that will leave us time for an afternoon activity as mentioned. We bring a 10x10 EZ Up canopy which is very portable. We also have a FC lean-to (guess where I got that Steve) for this time of year and also bring 2-3 various sized blue tarps which may be handy if the weather isn't cooperative. We use a 20# propane tank with a lantern, Coleman stove and Weber Baby Q grill which can be moved anywhere needed. Any ideas for the community dinner menu yet? Also which day?

We would be willing to use our site for the community meal and evening fire. It's listed as a 40' site and there should be plenty of room for additional tables and canopies. By the way Steve, how's Abbey doing since her injury? Hope every thing's fine with her.

Mike
Old 09-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #73

SUN #264
Mike, Tom, and Paul,

That's just grand. We now have four 10x10 shelters and two Fish Creek Lean Too's, plus numerous tarps. I am thinking we'll be able to deal with whatever Mother Nature tosses our way.

I experimented with placing my Lean Too next to my 10x10 shelter and it creates a great bit of added space where you can put about 4 or 5 folding chairs - plenty of great useable space. (My lean too is 10' long, same as the shelter so it is a near perfect match.)

Mike, thanks for the offer of your site for meals and campfire. The sites in that row are all quite wide and deep and you are surrounded by Sunliners.

Now I guess we can think about meals... Any suggestions, anyone?

Old 09-19-2007, 07:18 AM   #74

SUN #93
OK - the non-Sunline will be participating in activities with us.

The other Sunline (local) owner (Ted & Kathy) are looking forward to being involved also....problem is they need to be there early to get one of the walk-up sites!

How would everyone feel about chipping in a few bucks IF I can secure one of the walk up sites for our "group"?????

As far as wood goes Ted said he would bring some.....I would guess that we will need at least 1 (maybe more) face cord...that should last us all weekend!

Leo and I will be up there early on Friday to set up, but I have to leave on Saturday for classes.

Do we want to plan a pot luck dinner or breakfast in a bag?

Sorry I have not been around much this past week.....we just hosted our 41st annual Fire School weekend, in conjunction with the Fire Departments celebration of our 100th anniversary & the Herkimer County Volunteer Firemen's Convention......was going NON-STOP for more than a week...glad to say it was a huge success and it is finally over!

Leo and I are close enough that if we need something we most likely have it at home and can run home to get it!

We have a 10 x 10 e-z up, we also have a three burner stove and we can bring the turkey fryer set ups as well.......

I will be leaving on Friday or Saturday morning (21st or 22nd) and won't be back until Monday October 1st......so if anyone needs to contact me, please PM me and I'll send you my cell phone #.....

We are looking forward to meeting everyone!!!!!!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 09-19-2007, 07:25 AM   #75

SUN #264
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbart5fan
By the way Steve, how's Abbey doing since her injury? Hope every thing's fine with her.
Abby's good. No residual pain, hair is almost fully grown back, but she'll have a small dimple in her fur where the hair isn't coming back at the scar. Thanks!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #76

SUN #264
Quote:
OK - the non-Sunline will be participating in activities with us.

The other Sunline (local) owner (Ted & Kathy) are looking forward to being involved also....problem is they need to be there early to get one of the walk-up sites!

How would everyone feel about chipping in a few bucks IF I can secure one of the walk up sites for our "group"?????

As far as wood goes Ted said he would bring some.....I would guess that we will need at least 1 (maybe more) face cord...that should last us all weekend!

May I have the first names of the non-Sunline couple and their site number? (I am presuming that they've already got reservations?)

I don't know how much wood we'd all use up in two days/nights of campfire. Depends on the weather. If it's chilly, we'd probably want to have a good sized fire most of the time, probably all Saturday afternoon (for those that stay in camp) and evening. I think we're going to come up on Thursday, but that's not 100% yet - if we do, we'd probably just hook up with whoever else is there early, and do something with whatever wood we've got between us for that night.

In the summer, I get nearly two full weeks of nightly campfires out of a 1/4 face, and that is short (12") pieces. Harder to judge in fall weather, though.

I am in favor of a "bring a dish to pass" for Saturday night's meal.

My wife, Gail, is a cake decorator, and she's going to bring a special cake for us. I have a pretty good idea of what it will look like, but am keeping it a secret for a happy surprise for everyone....

And yes, if you can grab the other walk-in site, that might be easier than using Mike's site - do you think the park staff will have a problem with us doing that?

And, maybe you can find out if they'll be OK with us doing group meals and campfire. Some of the parks have real problems with groups congregating on campsites, and I don't want to create a problem.

Guess we'll have plenty of shelter and cooking appliances! Thanks!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:47 AM   #77

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins
My wife, Gail, is a cake decorator, and she's going to bring a special cake for us. I have a pretty good idea of what it will look like, but am keeping it a secret for a happy surprise for everyone....
Steve,

Make sure to snap a pic (before it's eaten!!!) for all of us who can't come!

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:50 AM   #78

SUN #93
Don & Vanessa (Norton) and most likely son John - I think they were in 45???

As far as wood....it has been mighty cold here lately - our heat has gone on every morning for the past week.....but we have wood in our yard....we can always make a run down and get some if we run out!

I'll run up to Nicks today (if I get a chance) and check things out!!!!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 09-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #79

SUN #93
Update on things to do!

Tuesday thru Saturday
10:00 AM ~Town of Webb Historical Association, Main Street, Old Forge
3:00PM across from the Post Office
“100 Years of Answering the Call"
Exhibit is Free

Friday - Sunday
9:30 AM ~ Take the chairlift ride at McCauley Mountain
4:30 PM Adults ~ $5.00 Seniors & Children 3-12 ~ $4.00
Kids under 3 ~ free

Saturday & Sunday
9AM ~ 5PM Go HORESBACK Riding at Flatrock Mountain Ranch
4 miles south of Old Forge on Route 28
Call 369-2657 for rates

Tickner's (315-369-6286) Canoes prices for equipment delivered to and picked up from Nick's Lake:

Canoe $26.00/day
Kayak - single $20.00/day
Kayak - double $36.00/day

includes paddles & life vests.

If we did the Moose - they will drop you off at North Street and you paddle the Moose to their dock- an approximate 4 hour float trip:

Canoe $35.00
Kayak - single - $25.00
Kayak - double - $40.00

Thendara Golf Course (315-369-3136) is about 1 mile from Nick's Lake..rates:
18 holes with cart $47.00 without cart $35.00
9 holes with cart $26.00 without cart $20.00
call at least 2 days in advance for reservations

Boat tours: - Old Forge Lake Cruises (315-369-6473) boats leave from Old Forge Pond about 1 1/2 miles from Nick's
Saturday & Sunday 11am & 2pm
2 hour sightseeing cruise is $14.00 adults $13.00/seniors and $10.00 children ages 3 - 12. GET CAMPGROUNDFLYER WHEN YOU COME IN - THERE IS A $1.00 DISCOUNT COUPON ON IT.

Adirondack Scenic Railroad, Thendara (about 1 miles from Nick's Lake)
operates Saturday- Sunday. Rates: $14.00/adult, $13.00/Senior 62+, $6.00 Youth (3 - 12)
About a 2 hour train ride - departs 10:00am, 12:30pm, 2:45pm.

The Blue Mountain Museum (Blue Mountain - 50 minute drive) and The Wild Center (about 2 hour drive) are two fantastic museums to visit, if you don't want to paddle or golf.....

Hiking is everywhere, I'll try to pick up some maps before M&G.
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 09-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #80

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Kathy,

We would be willing to pitch in $ to get one of the walk-up sites for group meals, fires, etc. - if the park will let us.

Will the wood that Ted's bringing be in place of fire wood you were thinking about having delivered to the loop and sharing the costs?

Pot luck dinner sounds great.

Also the Bag Omelets - Mary and I have experience from the Eastern M&G and are willing to show everyone how to do them if you don't already know how.

They're easy to do, all you need is a zip lock freezer bag, Pam spray, 2-3 eggs, and your favorite ingredients. We'll need to have a couple of stoves and a few posts of boiling water, but between all of us I'm sore that will be no problem to get together.

Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote