Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Owners Meet & Greet
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

View Poll Results: Stay at Buttonwood or Move to a Different Campground?
Stay at Buttonwood 2 13.33%
Move to Bald Eagle State Park 4 26.67%
Move to Ives Run Campground 8 53.33%
Other (please specify campground in a reply) 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #1

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Do we Stay @ Buttonwood or Move to a Different Cmpgrnd in 2019?

Some members that have attended the Buttonwood M&G have commented on how the cost of sites at Buttonwood has increased and if anyone would be interested in moving to a different campground that is more reasonable in site cost.

Just an FYI in 2007 our 1st M&G at Buttonwood a Standard RV Site w/ WES daily rate was $33. Now for that same site the daily rate is $55, Pull-thru sites are $60 / night.
Premium sites require a 3 day minimum stay with a daily rate of - $65 back-in; $68 pull-thru.

Since moving the location of the M&G is a community decision, I thought I would create a post and poll so both current; past and future Buttonwood attendees have an option to share their thoughts and opinions.

Please post a reply to this post and share your thoughts and options on staying at Buttonwood or moving to a different campground.

Some other campgrounds that have been mentioned as a potential new location for this early June M&G are:
  • Bald Eagle State Park (Howard, PA)
    Cost $42.50 for 50A Full Hook-up; $38.50 for 30A Full Hook-up; $29.50 for Electric
  • Ives Run (in Tioga, PA)
    Cost: $40 full Hook-up; Water & Electric $36 (50% discount with Senior Pass)

If you have other campgrounds that are potential options to move the M&G to, please post them.

I plan to have a discussion at this years Buttonwood M&G during or immediately after Saturday's Pot-Luck dinner to talk about the 2019 gathering - where to have it, who will be hosting it, etc.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions.

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:53 AM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
We're ready for a move. The cost of Buttonwood has become prohibitive, and we've cut back to 3 nights this year because of that. Also, they do less for us each year. ie. No more discount or free kayak shuttle. The 50% senior discount at Ives Run is attractive, and that would be fine with us as well. I voted for Bald Eagle because it's closer for people coming from the south, and they have a boating concession that rents everything from paddle boards to kayaks to pontoon boats.

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Subscribing. While I like Buttonwood and like the river, I agree that it's time for a change. Like Pam said, when I was there last, it didn't feel like the group was appreciated for the loyalty at all. Even though I don't come every year, the pull over Mount Nittany from the north does make a long trip even longer. Both campgrounds seem like great alternatives.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

SUN #67
264SRinPA
I think state parks are a bad idea for a meet & greet. Reservations are first come first served (no holding sites), so there is little chance of everyone being together and you don't know how many people are coming.
There aren't many full hook up sites, and they are hard to get if you don't reserve 11 months ahead (A lot of people don't like to camp with out hook ups). Also it's too risky to take a site unseen not knowing if it's big enough to fit in (many sites can only accommodate popup size trailers). We've seen a lot of Pa state parks and would never risk reserving a site unseen.
State parks are fine for small groups, but not a large group. The M&G normally has too many people to have a pot luck dinner or sit around a camp fire at someones site.
We aren't voting at this time as we need to think about this some more.
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #5

SUN #98
Quote:
Originally Posted by 264SRinPA View Post
I think state parks are a bad idea for a meet & greet. Reservations are first come first served (no holding sites), so there is little chance of everyone being together and you don't know how many people are coming.
There aren't many full hook up sites, and they are hard to get if you don't reserve 11 months ahead (A lot of people don't like to camp with out hook ups). Also it's too risky to take a site unseen not knowing if it's big enough to fit in (many sites can only accommodate popup size trailers). We've seen a lot of Pa state parks and would never risk reserving a site unseen.
State parks are fine for small groups, but not a large group. The M&G normally has too many people to have a pot luck dinner or sit around a camp fire at someones site.
We aren't voting at this time as we need to think about this some more.
All valid points Mike, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:25 PM   #6

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Matthew & I will not be camping at the Meet-n-Greet at Buttonwood this year, altho’ we will most likely be at the covered dish (& pay the visitors’ fee for that). Our primary reason for not going this year is that, being “non-retired,” our vacation time is limited & we want to do some roadtrips with our 2363. That being said, we also believe that Buttonwood is getting too expensive for what is being offered & that the management has little interest in having the SOC camp there as a group.

Mike, you make some valid points, such as the lack of FHUs at State Parks & the varying sizes of sites. I think it has to be taken into consideration tho’ that Buttonwood is no longer holding sites for our group and last summer encouraged us to reserve a year ahead to guarantee our sites. That’s no different than the SPs &, in fact, the cancellation policy for SPs is a lot “friendlier” than Buttonwood’s. As you pointed out, having the covered dish at someone’s campsite in a SP wouldn’t work for a group our size, however, all of the SPs where we’ve camped have sizable pavilions (large enough to accommodate the SOC) which can be reserved ahead of time, some with fireplaces & electric.

No doubt, holding the M-n-G at a SP would mean an adjustment for us as a group, especially for those doing the organizing. Do any of the other M-n-G’s meet at a SP; if so, how has that worked?

We’re voting Ive’s Run but have no problem going wherever the Club decides.

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:06 AM   #7

SUN #128
Tweety
All valid points. While we haven't been to Bald Eagle at least one section of their campground is new with paved sites that accommodate large units. There are site pictures when you sign on to reserve. Ives Run sites are huge. Ives does have a pavilion. Both of these have some full hook up sites, with Ives having mostly FHU. The Adirondack M&G is at a state park, and they rent a site for the pot luck.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #8

SUN #557
2 Wheelers
We are not attending this years M&G at Buttonwood. While we have our own reasons for not returning to Buttonwood we would be interested if there is a change of venue. We will miss everyone this year.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #9

SUN #9247
enormiss is an unknown quantity at this point
We camp at, or just visit, a lot of PA state parks. Never been to Bald Eagle, and it looks nice, so I had my BIL check it out for me. His only gripes were somewhat open tree canopy for the sites (I always joke he is alergic to the sun) and due to the weather some sites were under water. Don't think I've ever had a bad experience at a SP, so we keep going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabes View Post
all of the SPs where we’ve camped have sizable pavilions (large enough to accommodate the SOC) which can be reserved ahead of time, some with fireplaces & electric.
Little North of Bald Eagle SP is Ole Bull SP, not sure if your looking for more options but they have reservable pavilions. I know one has a fireplace and electric.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:27 AM   #10

SUN #2612
RockDodger is an unknown quantity at this point
Campground rates are becoming more ridiculous each year. Campground owners blame it on things such as property taxes, utility rates, and the biggest beast of all, insurance. Sure, it's cheaper than a motel room, but is it really? If you pay $50 a night, how much of a bargain is it if you just spent three times the amount of fuel pulling your RV to get there . And it really doesn't matter what part of the country you're in either. RV recreation is a huge business now, and like any popular business, the more people want it the more their gonna pay for it. I know some campground owners want to cash in on the bigger profits because they have employees to pay. Most of them are kids, but they are still on the payroll, and that affects the rate you pay. Like it or not the old saying "If you wanna play, you gotta pay" still applies.

Terry & Marsha/Northeast Illinois
1987 T-2153, 2016 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4
RockDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #11

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Haven't been on the site for a while, so we have little to add that has not been said! We will not be at Buttonwood this year as it is very expensive and we also feel we (SOC) are not appreciated there. Ive's Run sounds great ! We love it there.
2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #12

SUN #10092
Tommy is an unknown quantity at this point
New member thoughts

As a newer member that hasn’t attended an M&G, I did vote for a change.
I was a wagon master for another group for a number of years and we went to Buttonwood for a few years. While the campground is nice, I feel they are now overpriced.
We are still undecided if we are going to attend this year.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #13

SUN #8801
Terry Bumgar is an unknown quantity at this point
I have camped at Ole Bull In Potter county many times and it is the best SP campground in central Pa. The Camping area is flat and all the sites are very accessible. Kettle creek runs through the middle of the park with great trout fishing. This one would get my vote.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #14

SUN #98
I thought I would start a Pros & Cons on staying at Buttonwood & moving to another location.

Please feel free to contribute more Pros & Cons, I'm sure there's many others I haven't thought of.

Staying at Buttonwood Pros & Cons:
Pros:
1. All full hook-up sites
2. River trip
3. Free use of M&G Tent & campfire area.
4. Centrally located
Cons:
1. Cost
2. 3 night minimum on premium sites

Moving to a PA State Park Pros & Cons:
Pros:
1. Cost of sites
Cons:
1. Limited full hook-up sites
2. Sites may be difficult for larger rigs (depending on SP)
3. Pets restricted to Pet Loops only
4. Would need to rent an extra site as a M&G area.
5. Would need EZ-Ups for M&G site
6. Cost to rent a Pavilion (as option to M&G site)

Moving to Ives Run Pros & Cons:
Pros:
1. Cost of sites
2. Large number of Full Hook-up Sites
3. No Pet restrictions (i.e., no dedicated pet loop)
4. Majority of sites can handle larger rigs
Cons:
1. No area for evening camp fires.
2. Cost to rent a Pavilion on week-ends
No cost to reserve a Pavilion on week-days
3. Not centrally located (longer distance for attendees from MD, VA, etc.)
Old 04-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #15

SUN #215
Poor Man Campin'
Our 5 cents

After some discussion, Buttonwood is the most expensive place we camp all year. We actually have a preference for State Parks most of the time and splurge on Buttonwood just because that where everyone meets. That being said, knowing that our dedication doesn't seem to be appreciated anymore, and I don't really care for these 'theme' weekends that they are marketing, we're ready to move.

Interestingly enough, when we leave Buttonwood this trip, we have 4 nights reserved at Bald Eagle State Park to camp with some family.

I know there are concerns about reserving sites at State Parks. We're all but in the same situation with Buttonwood right now. We would have to be prompt about reserving pet sites as a number of us have some furry friends we travel with. We could lose a few attendees or, that potentially could separate us (spread us out) as a group, but how many have dropped out due to the cost of Buttonwood?

Even if we have to chip in 5 or 10 bucks apiece for someone to rent a pavilion for the weekend, we still would be way under the cost of Buttonwood.

Not ruling out Ive's Run or any other commercial campground like a KOA, but we feel that Buttonwood is pricing us out of attendance.
Poor Man Campin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:36 AM   #16

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Barbara and I are not against moving from Buttonwood mainly because of the expense. We almost always prefer state parks (PA having some of the best) because of the larger sites, more natural surroundings, paved roads, lower costs etc, and if a state park could be found that accommodates our group we'd be all for it. We've not camped at Bald Eagle or Ives run, so we have nothing to add about them except that Ives run is so close to the NY border and there already are two M&G's in NY state (Western NY and Adirondack).

One other item is that some have mentioned the inability to reserve a site. We have found this in VA (Shenendoah River SP is one we like, but must settle for what's left by the time we arrive on a Friday evening), but we have always been able to reserve a specific site at PA state park campgrounds. This is what we need in order to have a good chance of keeping the group from being too spread out.

That's our thoughts so far and if we think of a CG that might work, we will certainly post again.
Rich
vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #17

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
My 2 cents: I have never attended but always wanted to but thought the cost at Buttonwood was too high. State parks are nice but I just don't think they are usually suited to gatherings of this type

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #18

SUN #308
hiller64
Being retired Barbara and I have the advantage of traveling just about any where for these events. I really enjoyed the time we spent at Ives Run and so voted for Ives Run. but would really hate to lose campers due to driving distance.

Rich
Formerly a 2006 Sunline 2499 towed by a 2001 Toyota Tundra
hiller64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:46 AM   #19

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
We came up with three state park suggestions, one is Codorus in Hanover PA, then Gifford Pinchot between York and Carlisle PA and Promised Land between Scranton and Milford PA.
Last weekend, we camped and kayaked at Gifford Pinchot, there's a nice lake there (all three have lakes which means no kayak or canoe transport needed) and we met some Airstream campers who had gathered for an annual get together. One woman told me they get a Costco portable canopy and rent one site to set it up for the group to gather. Some parks may have reservable pavilions, but we haven't checked into that.

Rich
vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:50 AM   #20

SUN #646
clarkldc
We like Ives Run. Big campground, lots of good sites, and things to do in the area. Prices very reasonable, especially with the senior pass. We've never been to Bald Eagle SP so can't comment on it. 6 month reservation window at Ives Run favors those who don't plan so far in advance.

2007 Sunline Solaris T-2499
Tropical magic / cherry cabinetry
2006 Ford F250 Lariat FX4 4x4 6.0L PSD CC LB
clarkldc is offline   Reply With Quote