Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #1

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow

I bought a stat Hunter Model #: 42995 based on what people here (and many other RV sites) said they had installed. I took the trailer in to the RV Repair Monday and I also mentioned the possibility of installing leveling scissor jacks.

I get a call today from the owner of the repair place telling me that $114.00 a pr for levelers and $168.00 to install. I told him I could get some cheaper on the Internet and bring them in. He then told me he can not install the Hunter because its 24 v not 12v. I told him I had read many times that...

"(Sigh) Ok here it is one more time.

A residential thermostat that uses internal batteries for power will work. These are designed for residential applications which are 24 volts but since the clock, relays and circuitry are powered by the internal batteries, they work on a RV's 12-volt system since the thermostats function will be as a switching device. Voltage doesn't matter in this case.

As mentioned, the Hunter is used mostly because the instructions posted here on the Forum are for the Hunter, the price is right and they are easily available." Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Hunter Thermostats???

He got REAL upset..."Ok I can put it in but it will burn up your electrical. Why do you even bring in to me? I am thinking you should just come and get it" So I told him I would come in and get it.

I am really quite shocked? I just spend also $400 there...I mean I can understand if he doesn't want to guarantee the stat but it appears that he just doesn't like any other opinion or view but his own

So now I have to go pick it up and I guess try to install the stat myself
or maybe I should have taken it here to begin with...

Geezzzz

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Joan, the install instructions that you already have are really pretty easy. The critical thing is that you don't use the trailers electricity to power the thermostat. That wire gets taped off and is not used. The other wires just hook to the terminals per the instructions.

The instructions call for the addition of a small Hi/Low fan switch. I never got around to adding that and have been perfectly happy without it. That is only used on the air conditioning side anyway and does not affect the furnace side.

Your dealer missed that part about not using the TT's voltage at all. His anger is misplaced and inappropriate. All he had to do was read the instructions carefully and follow them to the letter.

I think it is a relatively easy mod that can be done by anyone with a little encouragement.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #3

SUN #1508
quaddriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to quaddriver
I just installed some Honeywell thermostat from walmart based on Steve Collins (you) advice. what is the big deal? Are repair places generally clueless? Most of our Rvs use essentially a binary switch....
Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #4

SUN #1546
Thank you. I even printed out instructions for them....I guess I will try myself as I called Kitsmiller RV and the labor is $59.95 plus they can't get it in until the Wed before Thanksgiving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
Joan, the install instructions that you already have are really pretty easy. The critical thing is that you don't use the trailers electricity to power the thermostat. That wire gets taped off and is not used. The other wires just hook to the terminals per the instructions.

The instructions call for the addition of a small Hi/Low fan switch. I never got around to adding that and have been perfectly happy without it. That is only used on the air conditioning side anyway and does not affect the furnace side.

Your dealer missed that part about not using the TT's voltage at all. His anger is misplaced and inappropriate. All he had to do was read the instructions carefully and follow them to the letter.

I think it is a relatively easy mod that can be done by anyone with a little encouragement.

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #5

SUN #1546
I think the big deal in this case is "my way or the highway"
Some people know it all and therefor are not interested in learning something new

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
I just installed some Honeywell thermostat from walmart based on Steve Collins (you) advice. what is the big deal? Are repair places generally clueless? Most of our Rvs use essentially a binary switch....

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 11-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #6

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I think with a lot of repair places like that, they are just interested in swapping out what's there or making a substitute work, but they don't seem like they are at all interested in modifying. Interesting how it all went down though...
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #7

SUN #264
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
I am flattered! But this little mod has been around for a long, long time. I just finally got around to doing it and am very supportive of those that do it as well.

In my opinion, most RV dealers are not well liked or respected by the RV customers because of incidents like the one Joan just experienced. They've gotten used to gouging customers with over priced repairs and modifications that they would like us all to believe are the only way possible to do these things. They've brought this on themselves and are beginning to pay the price as more and more RVers put their heads together in forums like this and share knowledge and experiences.

The salesman and the New York State Fairgrounds RV show who was trying to tell me that my truck could tow his behemoth 5er and that no one ever carries 1,500# of stuff is a good example. He was not happy when I explained to him in no uncertain terms and in front of a number of folks he almost had bamboozled, why he was wrong and that he was making a very unsafe claim. He was even unhappier when I started to rattle off how much some of the items we all call "stuff" actually weigh.

I think part of the problem is that these dealers just can't accept that some of us actually know what we are talking about. Customers are expected to be meek, obedient sheep who will do exactly what the dealer wants at exactly the price the dealer thinks we should pay.

All this is part of the reason that I try to stay out of dealers repair shops and after market sales areas. I can either do the repairs myself or know someone who can at a reasonable and fair price. I can purchase most of the parts I need at auto parts stores or on the internet for a LOT less money than RV dealers charge.

Even automobile dealers treat their customers better than most RV shops.

I would challenge RV dealers to do better by us, but most of them won't even listen to us.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #8

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
I think with a lot of repair places like that, they are just interested in swapping out what's there or making a substitute work, but they don't seem like they are at all interested in modifying. Interesting how it all went down though...
And on top of that - they probably don't like you buying parts cheaper than what they want to sell them to you for......and then asking them to install them.

If at all possible, we try to most of the work ourselves, rather than deal with ignorant, ill-mannered people!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #9

SUN #264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
And on top of that - they probably don't like you buying parts cheaper than what they want to sell them to you for......and then asking them to install them.

If at all possible, we try to most of the work ourselves, rather than deal with ignorant, ill-mannered people!
Good point, and one I had not considered. I am certain that it rankles them to no end that the $24 Hunter is a much better thermostat than the $57 Duotherm and that all us RV folks are discovering that it is easy to install.

Although, in Joan's case, I am thinking that the guy just could not understand the instructions to the point where not using the trailer's voltage was the right thing to do. It also probably went against all his training because the Duotherm needs the voltage and the RV industry "only" uses the Duotherm (said with a whole bunch of sarcasm.)

But that said, there are places like General who can think outside the box and do all kinds of innovative things so maybe it is not an industry wide ailment.

Maybe I could go into business doing that mod for folks. I'd only charge about $50 to do the whole job, and that would include providing the thermostat. Hmmm.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #10

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
Maybe I could go into business doing that mod for folks. I'd only charge about $50 to do the whole job, and that would include providing the thermostat. Hmmm.
OK I know what you'll be doing at one of the M&G's ....put us on the list
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #11

SUN #264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
OK I know what you'll be doing at one of the M&G's ....put us on the list
What have I gotten myself into?

Remind me in August or early September and we'll offer that to the ADK attendees.

Not sure on Southwoods, but it is on my calendar for 2011.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #12

SUN #264
Joan,

Here is a link to another person who did the Hunter conversion. They specifically didn't bother with the hi/lo switch addition, same as me. Maybe this explains it better and would further encourage you to attempt this yourself.

RV Road Trip Library - Digital Thermostat Installation / Duo-Therm & Suburban

Old 11-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #13

SUN #264
I just took a very close look at the file that I uploaded some time ago that has a pic of the inside of a Duotherm and a chart for connection to a Hunter.

There is an error in this file. The High Fan should read: "Through a SPST to G"

It read W, and that is wrong. I have deleted the file and am uploading a new one with the correct information. I apologize for the error.

Tags
anger problems, hunter, leveling jacks, stat