Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #1

SUN #3115
RobertL is an unknown quantity at this point
Winter Camping

We just purchased a 2005 T-1950. We're very happy with it and are wondering what our limits might be using it in the winter. Specifically if we were traveling for a day or two in sub freezing temps would the furnace keep the interior pipes from freezing? If so can the furnace be on when you're travelling? Would the holding tanks need anti-freeze? If anyone has experience with this and would like to share we would greatly appreciate. Robert & Kelly

Old 11-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
We've camped down to a low of 24 degrees at night and our experience has been that if you're traveling the motion of the trailer keeps the pipes from freezing. When you're sitting the heat being on inside keeps them from freezing. You'll want to turn the hot water heater on. We've never traveled with the heat on, and have never put anti-freeze in the holding tanks.

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
It usually takes day and night time temps below freezing before you start running into problems. Mine is in a garage and we have had temps in the teens over night but in the 50's during the day I still have not drained any thing because I am going to use it next week for a trip to VT. I'm not sure I would recommend that plan but my inside camper temps have not dropped below freezing yet. As Tweety said run the water tank heat that in it's self will keep stuff inside the cabinets reasonably warm. By the time you are parked and running the heat there will be no issue if it's warm enough for you the plumbing will be fine.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #4

SUN #3115
Thanks for the input. The trailer is in an indoor heated space now. If I took it out in the dead of winter (January) for a trip south, I would turn on the hot water heater and I guess if it was terribly cold I could stop every once in a while and run the water briefly and maybe even turn the furnace on for a bit. I'm guessing you wouldn't run the furnace very long without the truck running.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Robert

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club! Glad you found us.

There are a few posts we have of folks who have upgraded some items on the standard Sunline to help in cold weather camping.

Here are some for further reading.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...-in-10814.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...eted-9882.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...tion-9937.html

There are a few more but I can't find them just yet. I'll hunt some more as there is one on what a guy did to his that was amazing. I have not seen him post in a few years but his post is still here.

A heads up on the condensation, you have to deal with it or the camper will turn into a sweat box. Once you are in the camper and the heat is on and it is really cold out, that is when the problem shows up. Windows and walls will get soaked. There are 2 ways out of this. A dehumidifier or to vent the camper. We do the vent trick. I open a roof vent a good 1" opening which is more then 1" of lift. Especially at night. The moisture from us sleeping is unbelievable. When you cook, crack the window open. When you shower, open the vent in the bath room a good inch. You can close those back up once done, just leave the one roof vent open. We pick the one farthest from the bed room so it does not freeze us out. The moisture is dying to get out so let it go....

Yes you will loose some heat that way too however venting is the easiest way to do this.

We also do the plastic shrink wrap on the window. We just finished this up for this winters camping. If you are doing a quantity of winter camping this really helps. Keeps the heat in better and really cuts down on the window sweat. There is a post of mine on here if your interested I'll dig it up.

You mentioned holding tanks, tell us what day time temps and what night time temps are in your area? If the ground is not frozen and the day time temps get up in the 40's or higher you can get away with more. If the ground is frozen solid and the days and night do not get above freezing then you will need tank heaters, enclosed tanks or the anti freeze trick at least for the black and gray. The fresh tank, is yours inside the camper or under it? That one you need to deal with if it is out side. The tank heaters are an option for this one.

Need more info on the temps in your are on things to watch out for. Even the outside shower can be a problem pending how cold it is.

You mentioned to make sure the truck is running if you want to run the furnace, well not really. It will not hurt but is not a major issue not to run the truck, especially at the price of gas now a days. The furnace will run off the camper battery, just make sure it is fully charged before the trip. Now the furnace will drain down the battery as the fan sucks more 12volts then anything in the camper. Running the furnace to heat the camper up may take 15 minutes. That is OK on a good battery. Doing it for 8 to 12 hours trying to get the camper to stay at 70F in 10 deg F weather with the wind blowing may be a problem depending on the battery size. When hooked to shore line power, we use the furnace as a back up and use a small ceramic heater and or an oil filled one. On your little camper, 1 ceramic heater will do.

Hope this helps and good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #6

SUN #128
Tweety
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi Robert

We also do the plastic shrink wrap on the window. We just finished this up for this winters camping. If you are doing a quantity of winter camping this really helps. Keeps the heat in better and really cuts down on the window sweat. There is a post of mine on here if your interested I'll dig it up.

John
I would love some info on the shrink wrap and can't find the discussion on it. We'll be spending a week in Virginia soon, and doing the windows is on my TTD list. Where do you put the tape, and does it come off easily without damaging the surface you stick it to? Is this a WalMart or Lowes item?
Thanks!
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Old 11-08-2011, 06:08 AM   #7

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
IWe'll be spending a week in Virginia soon, and doing the windows is on my TTD list.
How soon? High today of 78. We normally run high 60s over mid 40s this time of year. I'd leave a few windows operable, galley and bath for sure.
(This here ain't upstate NooYork. ) I've spent more Thanksgivings in shirtsleeves than a coat.
Where're y'all going?

Teach
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #8

SUN #128
Tweety
If we were going to Richmond or Charlottesville that would be GREAT!!! I wouldn't bother with window film at all. We'll be at Claytor Lake - our son lives in Christiansburg and is hosting Thanksgiving. We're expecting lows around 30 at night...brrr. Hopefully it won't be rainy like 2 years ago.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #9

SUN #3115
The fresh water tank is inside the camper. I think all the fresh water is inside except the outdoor shower. Would there be a by-pass for the outdoor shower so it could be drained without draining the whole system. I like the idea of the portable heater.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #10

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
I would love some info on the shrink wrap and can't find the discussion on it. We'll be spending a week in Virginia soon, and doing the windows is on my TTD list. Where do you put the tape, and does it come off easily without damaging the surface you stick it to? Is this a WalMart or Lowes item?
Thanks!
Hi Tweety,

Here is the skring wrap post. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ping-8760.html

I have another one but cannot find it. I have not mastered our search feature yet...

Here is one more pic since I cannot find the post it is in

In the morning there is still some sweat thru the metal frame. Seesm to be on the bottom mostly. I use an old dry wash cloth to soak it up. It is good then for the rest of the day until the next morning.

I have used this since 2007 each year. I have not attempeted to get off 100% of the tape residue. It also depends on how long you leave it on for. In our case it can be into June or July until we take it off. It helps with AC being on as well. Our weather patterns lately are so all over the place your freezing or roasting. So open window weather may not hit so early in the spring.

I have heard to use Rubbing Alcohol to get the residue off. I have not tried that yet, just learned it a few weeks ago reading.

I have about 5 to 15% of reside left after I clean up when taking it off. It is not sticky, more hard and faint yellow. Other then me knowing it is there, one would not find it.

One heads up, make sure you clean any dust etc off the mounting surface, make sure it is dry and do not apply to cold metal. Meaning have it up in the 60’s before putting it on. If the metal is cold the adhesives can be an issue.

I also have semi perfected how to put this on and do not even use the hair dryer to shrink it. Less stress on the film.

I do all the windows, even the doors but I leave the 1 window by the sink/stove undone. That way the stove top burning I crack the window a little.

Good luck

John

Old 11-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #11

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertL View Post
The fresh water tank is inside the camper. I think all the fresh water is inside except the outdoor shower. Would there be a by-pass for the outdoor shower so it could be drained without draining the whole system. I like the idea of the portable heater.
Hi Robert

I'll type more later but here are some more posts on winter camping. Found them when looking for Tweety's shrink wrap

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ping-8126.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ment-8302.html

And here is some insulating ideas. I can't find the post that goes with them but these are the pics Winter Camping upgrades pictures by JBarca - Photobucket

How cold at night and the day is it in your area when you will be camping?