Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #1

SUN #246
Janalee
Winter battery care..?

Just realized this is my first winter with a motorhome instead of a tt...and I am not sure what to do about the batteries..if I remove them,I won't be able to move it if necessary,and it is parked in our driveway. It is plugged into my ac and I do go in occasionally. It is winterized. Right now I have the main breaker off....it is next to impossible to remove the batteries (2) considering my age,health,etc....Will leaving the power keep them from freezing..advice please?!! PS..in all our years of traveling south for the winter, the battery in the vehicles left behind never had a problem but I see other rvers talking about it online... Janalee

'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #2

SUN #6969
Bubbabc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janalee View Post
Just realized this is my first winter with a motorhome instead of a tt...and I am not sure what to do about the batteries..if I remove them,I won't be able to move it if necessary,and it is parked in our driveway. It is plugged into my ac and I do go in occasionally. It is winterized. Right now I have the main breaker off....it is next to impossible to remove the batteries (2) considering my age,health,etc....Will leaving the power keep them from freezing..advice please?!! PS..in all our years of traveling south for the winter, the battery in the vehicles left behind never had a problem but I see other rvers talking about it online... Janalee
Good Morning, if you let the life line plugged in you will be good to go. You should start the engine every few weeks and let it idle until it comes up to operating temperatures to keep your seals pliable so you don't get oil leaks. Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #3

SUN #246
Janalee
Thanks Bubbabc...I figured as much based on past experience w the car..however,it's always good to have another opinion. I actually figure on driving it a bit once in awhile, weather permitting, to keep the winter blues away! Lol! I see you are from PA also--I am right outside of Scranton..you?
2002 Solaris T-2363
Old 11-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #4

SUN #6969
Quote:
Thanks Bubbabc...I figured as much based on past experience w the car..however,it's always good to have another opinion. I actually figure on driving it a bit once in awhile, weather permitting, to keep the winter blues away! Lol! I see you are from PA also--I am right outside of Scranton..you?
I live in Chambersburg about fifty miles south of Harrisburg, I've lived here all my life. I've had my Sunline covered since the middle of October and it is killing me. After Christmas it will be a long haul before we can get her ready for our first trip to the Apple Blossom Fest in Winchester, Va. the end of April. Have a Happy Thsnksgiving! Don't forget to turn your scales back ten pounds! Lol
Old 11-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The only problem will be the truck battery because of the isolator the charger will not charge it the coach batteries yes. There is a way around it with a jumper wire but if you run for an hour or so it the alternator will recharge the truck battery or take it for a ride. You may need the main breaker on to activate the charger some do some don't.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #6

SUN #246
Janalee
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbabc View Post
I live in Chambersburg about fifty miles south of Harrisburg, I've lived here all my life. I've had my Sunline covered since the middle of October and it is killing me. After Christmas it will be a long haul before we can get her ready for our first trip to the Apple Blossom Fest in Winchester, Va. the end of April. Have a Happy Thsnksgiving! Don't forget to turn your scales back ten pounds! Lol
We have stayed over in your Wal-Mart several times...probably never again. DH fell out of the camper door Sept.17TH and life has really changed. He had several fractures in the lumbar area and a fractured wrist-neither has healed well. His level of Alzheimer's has increased drastically-he spent a week in hospital and three in a nursing/rehab facility trying to walk again. I don't see any extended trips in our future,but sure hoping for some summer short stays. P.S. Winchester is so pretty at Apple Blossom time..enjoy! Janalee
2002 Solaris T-2363
Old 11-23-2015, 06:19 PM   #7

SUN #6969
Quote:
We have stayed over in your Wal-Mart several times...probably never again. DH fell out of the camper door Sept.17TH and life has really changed. He had several fractures in the lumbar area and a fractured wrist-neither has healed well. His level of Alzheimer's has increased drastically-he spent a week in hospital and three in a nursing/rehab facility trying to walk again. I don't see any extended trips in our future,but sure hoping for some summer short stays. P.S. Winchester is so pretty at Apple Blossom time..enjoy! Janalee
Oh my word! My birthday is September 17! Sorry to hear about your husbands misfortune . Alzheimer's is a terrible disease especially for the caregiver. I am sure you have your hands full. Getting old is no fun for any of us. I am only 63 but some days feel like a very old man. I hope you get lots of camping in next year. Short trips can also be a blast!
Old 11-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #8

SUN #246
Janalee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
The only problem will be the truck battery because of the isolator the charger will not charge it the coach batteries yes. There is a way around it with a jumper wire but if you run for an hour or so it the alternator will recharge the truck battery or take it for a ride. You may need the main breaker on to activate the charger some do some don't.
Mainah...my unit has the use/store disconnect switch and I believe I tested it when I first got it and found the charge goes through. Actually, it may need to be in the USE position for the engine to start....I will have to give that another look.
2002 Solaris T-2363
Old 11-25-2015, 09:57 AM   #9

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
First off Janalee, sorry for your health problems. Maybe you needed to slow down and stay closer to home anyway.

Second, I wonder if you can have the A/C for the house battery and then run a trickle charger, maintainer, from a camper 110V outlet of some kind to the truck battery. Down here I would leave a trickle charger on the truck battery but disconnect the battery cables since freezing in no problem.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #10

SUN #246
Janalee
Jim...you are probably very correct..I do need a slowdown-just didn't accept we have such limitations..
Now for the batteries..I have already placed my trickle charger in the moho and am waiting for a "heat wave" so I can comfortably test my batteries,check the fluids,and determine if I am already providing a charge to the truck battery thru the disconnect feature. Have to locate my volt meter! PS please enjoy that sunset view of the lake for me...boy,do I miss visiting my home state! Happy Thanksgiving to you guys! Thanks for your input...Janalee
2002 Solaris T-2363
Old 11-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #11

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Mainah...my unit has the use/store disconnect switch and I believe I tested it when I first got it and found the charge goes through. Actually, it may need to be in the USE position for the engine to start....I will have to give that another look.
Oh good it does have a battery switch very handi thing for a motor home.