Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Weather, Speed = Wreck

Now, I'm not posting this to bash the man, I think he has done that enuff already to himself. I just think it is a good reminder about weather related conditions.

Also, gives you an idea what can happen, especially since we've been really discussing hitches, tow vehicles, sway control and emergency brake cables in the towing section.

Kitty

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/21059524.cfm

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #2

SUN #254
Galaxiedriver
It never ceases to amaze me how many people can't drive to suit conditions. Just three weeks ago, after several days of predicted icy and slick conditions, this little town of Columbia had over 100 accidents during the morning going to work traffic. IMHO that is 100 incidents of being dumb. Either learn how to drive on slick roads, or stay off them.

This guy says, "it was raining but the roads were clear, mostly." It was below freezing and raining." Duh!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy. If its wet, slow the heck down. If it's icy, snowy, or about to be, get that RV off the road. You can't stop a towed trailer on icy slick roads. You just cant. It will wreck and ruin your whole day. You risk damaging a $30,000 TV, a $30,000 RV and oh yeah, peoples lives.

If your gut says you shouldn't be doing this, don't.

www.62ford.com/registry

Galaxiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #3

SUN #307
purplesuebug
Amen Galaxiedriver, Amen. The last ice storm (3 wks ago) put my neighbor into my front yard. You couldn't even stand on the roads, let alone drive on them. "Oh.............I thought I could make it" was all he could mutter. That is the main reason I take off from work on snowy days. I stay out of the way of these idiots!!! But who cares as long as insurance companies continue paying and raising OUR rates!!! Thanks for posting Kitty.............makes for interesting conversation. Marshall
purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #4

SUN #503
sdsferraro
Send a message via Yahoo to sdsferraro
Glad to see there are not so smart people everywhere. My wife was born and raised where we live on the Eastern Shore of MD, so she doesn't understand snow. I think everyone around here hears the words snow or ice and picks out what they are going to run into.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #5

SUN #382
Mooney
...but as someone over there said, at least he accepts blame. In conditions like that (rainy at freezing temps) you should know dang well enough to slow down. That and at 2/32nds tread, he shouldn't be carrying that kind of weight on rainy roads, let alone icy....and they say that even going slower wouldn't have helped? I've got untold numbers of miles at higher weights than that (up to 80K lbs) in New England conditions- with no at-faults since being young and stupid in '94(???)

It always amazes me how people don't get the simple mathematics of speed. You'll only save a couple minutes by going fast- but people (esp. MA$$holes) just don't seem to learn. I'll be putting along at 40 or so in snow and ice, and see the knuckleheads all piled into each other down the road a piece. Yeah, the same ones that were mad at me for driving slow.

Well, at least they keep my brothers both working!

At least nobody was hurt or killed...that's a good thing.
'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #6

SUN #492
GhettoMedic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney
since being young and stupid in '94(???)

Are you implying that you are no longer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney
Well, at least they keep my brothers both working!
AMEN! Like my t-shirt says "Your stupidity + Motor vehicles = My job security
https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...9/mycamper.jpg
GhettoMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #7

SUN #287
nickster60
I was driving just south of Tampa I was driving about 75 in the Ford with no trailer and this guy passed me at at least 90 mph. Pulling a very large 5th wheel maybe 32 ft and talking on his cell phone. That tailpipe on that Dodge looked like a coal furnace it really makes you wonder where peoples heads are at. I think I know where his was, kind of hard to see the road with your head stuck there. Even when the weather is good some people just arent thinking.
nickster60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #8

SUN #308
hiller64
Lets give this guy a bit of a break.

While this guy deserves some critisim for going way too fast for conditions I think he assumed what many people, particularly folks from up North assume, and that is that all those salt trucks sitting along side of the road have actually salted and sanded the road. Not so. I drive a lot in North Carolina and Virgina and I can assure you they have not dropped an ounce of salt or sand and will not until some one from headquaters steps out side, slips and falls on his backside, then decides it freezing. It seems to me that if you can get salt out early in the freezing process you can prevent a lot trouble.

One March afternoon I sat parked on I 95 south bound at the intersection of I-40 and I 95 in North Carolina and watched a very large wrecker winch tractor trailers across what must have been a very icy I-40 west bound overpass. The only thing mising from the picture were any salt or sand trucks.

I know this isn't excactly Buffalo down here but I think both Virgina and North Carolina could get out in front of these events more than they do.

Hiller64

Formerly a 2006 Sunline 2499 towed by a 2001 Toyota Tundra
hiller64 is offline   Reply With Quote