Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #1

SUN #174
Abullg8r
waterlogged

We have a 2002 2980 and have loved it since we bought it two years ago from a dealer. This summer we noticed a soft spot it the floor. Upon removing the flooring we have rotten floor joists too. I have had two places look at it and tell me the roof is rotten ($4800-8200 to repair), down the back wall and under the floor soaking the insulation. This had a wicking effect to ruin the floor. The part that is so surprising is that there is no visible damage other than the floor inside. I was and am surprised that a unit this new would be so sick.

I am writing as an both an encouragement to CAREFULLY inspect your roof as well as fishing for any ideas for assistance. I did try my insurance company, they found it to be a maintenance, or lack therof, issue.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:20 AM   #2

SUN #147
chriseck
Since the damage is severe and insurance has left you out in the cold, you might as well tear into it and trace the water stains from its entry point into the camper.I would try removing [peeling back] a top outside pannel on a exterior wall in the leak area.I would also reseal all the top side cut outs as you know water can travel.Im assuming you have a metal sided unit.If you can get one of the pannels back/out let a hoes run to flood areas of the roof.You can try to stab in new floor joists between the frame rails from under neath if you dont have to remove holding tanks etc .Sounds like you have some decisions to make.Good luck.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #3

SUN #172
luckyva
Unfortunately, for the kind of money you are talking about, it may make more sense to not repair it, take the loss and get a new camper.

I am so sorry for your experience. It really goes to show how vulnerable campers are to the elements. Would a roof inspection, no matter how thorough, have revealed the problem? Maybe, maybe not.

Good luck and keep us posted has to your decisions.
luckyva is offline   Reply With Quote