Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-06-2007, 08:59 PM   #1

SUN #385
Hematite
Water filters

I went to a local Camping World to buy a water filter for my 2499. All I can say is that there was a bewildering array of water filters! I'm wondering if anyone has a filter that they particularly like. I would rather get a filter for the entire unit rather than individual plumbed-in ones. Probably would prefer an external unit for simplicity and ease of maintenance. Thanks, in advance, for your replies!
Rick

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:21 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
See if this helps.

Most all our camping is done off the fresh tank, so I filter all on the way in to the tank.

See this post to show more on how I did this on my T2499
T2499 Water Upgrades

The Blue filters are Camco CX90 0.9 micron activated carbon filters with KDF in then to prevent bio growth during non use. I also sun dry them when not camping. And I can clean the outside of them. And I can see the pipe scale and other things that I'm filtering from public campground potable supplies.

This like I hope takes you to the Camco site http://www.camco.net/Menu.cfm?SupCat...CategoryId=212

Hope this helps

John

PS Activated Carbon filters do strip out some of the chlorine. I check the water each trip and some times I have to add if it has stripped out to much below 1.0PPM chlorine. These filters will take 3.5ppm chlorine water that are in parks in the spring down to 1.0PPM. And 1.0PPm incoming water to almost nothing.

PS 2. Glad to talk water more if needed. Going camping tomorrow for a week so I won't be back for a while.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:36 AM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Rick

John has a great set up. I’m always amazed at what John thinks of and the quality of modifications he adds to his trailer.

I thought I would share what we use, so you can see another variation of water filter.

We have an external water filter system that I use when connected to water hook-ups. It’s portable so I can also use it to fill the fresh water tank, but I typically don’t because I usually fill the fresh water tank at home. Sine we have city water at home, filling the fresh water tank at home assures that I’m fill it with water that has a high content of chlorine.

Here's a picture of our water filter:

I use a 2-stage filter. First filter (i..e, on input side) has a sediment filter and the 2nd filter (i.e., on output to the camper side) has a carbon taste & order filter.

I like the multi stage because I feel it provides a little better filtering than the single filter that claims to do it all. I can filter out sediment first than try to improve the taste and order.

I hang them off the expanding wheel chock because it’s convent to the trailer’s city water input. I find this system easy to setup, maintain, and store. When storing I drain all the water out of the filter and using one of the small hoses, connect it between the input and output of the water filter.

When I set up a spray a water-bleach mixture in all the hoses, water filter, and campground water faucet to kill any bacteria that may be there.

I’m very happy with our setup – but I’m a little biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hematite
I went to a local Camping World to buy a water filter for my 2499.
But with the 2499, I believe the city water input is toward the back of the trailer. Pat (aka emam) has a 2499 and uses a similar water filter as us and he hangs his off the rear bumper. See his Redneck Water Filter Hanger post for pictures of his setup.

We typically get sites that have water hook-ups. We very rarely us are fresh water tank, maybe one or twice a year or while on the road traveling.

Hope this gives you some ideas and ignites a spark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB
Going camping tomorrow for a week so I won't be back for a while.
John - have a great week of camping - I'm envious, only week-end trips for us this year.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #4

SUN #385
Hematite
Hey PT Hutch and JohnB thanks for the info on water filters. OK, now I'm going to show my ignorance about my 2499. I looked at the side of the unit with the water hookups and there are 3? One is behind a plastic door, another is higher up and forward of the door and one is in the back by the bumper. I'm already overwhelmed! Why are there 3 points for water hose hookup?

I have read that you have to sanitize the water holding tank. Do I use one of these hookups to do that? You experienced guys know how dumb I am about travel trailers at this point!

Old 09-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hematite,

The fill behind the plastic door is to fill your on board fresh water tank. The hose won't connect to this on purpose so you won't pressurize the tank. JohnB's is visible below his storage locker door with a small hose going into it. This is so he can filter the water going into his fresh tank:

You would use this fill to sanitize your tank, assuming you are planning on pouring down bleach or something. If you don't drain the tank by running it through the lines, you can drain it with the fresh water tank drain. The fresh water tank should be right by where your fill is behind that little door. There should be a little spout just below that door that you turn the little lever to drain the tank. Make sure you close this valve when you're done!

The second port should have a standard water hose fitting on it covered by a little rubber dust cover. This is where your incoming city (fresh) water is hooked up to to give you full water pressure inside the coach without the need of the water pump. I'm guessing this port is the one by the bumper.

The third and final port must be a black tank flusher connection. If you don't have that, then I don't know off the top of my head what it could be. It looks like Hutch has this flusher port right in front of his fresh water hook up, between that and the slide:

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:02 AM   #6

SUN #385
Hematite
Jon,

Thanks for the explaination of those 3 hookups. Yes, this unit does have the black tank rinse option, so that explains the forward hookup. It doesn't have a sticker like the one on Hutch's unit (probably should). Actually this hookup is forward and below the tank door, not above as I said before.

Rick

Old 09-08-2007, 06:06 AM   #7

SUN #196
tinybluetj
We met a guy while camping once who did a lot of campping South of the border. They had been through several filters, and found that the best one for Mexico was one they bought at a boat supply co. It has a sand and is used for boas when they pull into the slip. He said it made Mexican water taste like bottled! I think we may get one like that, but I do like how Jon has attached his to the coach, so you don't have to set it up each time!
Old 09-08-2007, 07:14 AM   #8

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
I use a setup similar to Hutch's, but with one difference.

A long time ago, someone suggested to me that any protection you place on your water system should also include the hose between the campground spigot and the trailer. The reasoning was that the hose lays out there in the sun day after day full of water that is going to eventually flow into your trailer. The heat of the sun would intensify the bad effects fo whatever nasties are in the water like sulfur, etc. Eventually, the hose could take on the flavor and such of all that unfiltered water.

The solution is to locate the filter at the spigot end, using a very short piece of hose between the spigot and filter, and then your regular hose between the filter and the trailer. Depending on the configuration of the spigot, I may not even use hose between the spigot and filter, but instead use one of the 45 degree or 90 degree adapters.

I also place a 90 degree adaptor at the trailer end to eliminate kinking.

The same reasoning is applied to the pressure regulator. Better to regulate the pressure at the spigot and protect the hoses and filter. Think about all that variable campground water pressure in your hose laying out in the hot sun, softening and possibly weakening the hose.

Some campgrounds have been found to have water pressure exceeding 90 PSI. Any water distribution systems like a campground can have pressure surges as well.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #9

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dual level water filtering

Most campground water seems as good as tap water however when traveling afar we use a twice filtered system. The input supply to the water tank and to the street side system passes through a traditional Hydro Life External filter preceded by a pressure reducer.

In addition to this filter the kitchen sink's drinking spigot has a Trav-L-Pure Filter, used exclusively for drinking and food preparation. This is a low flow rate filter designed to remove material as small as viruses. This is the only filter "certified to EPA Guide Standard for Microbiological Purifiers against bacteria, cysts, and viruses".

Norm Milliard
2004 Honda CRV
Sunline 15.5 SB
Old 09-11-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
I use a system very similar to the one Hutch has. However I only have the one filter that claims to remove sediment and odor. After looking at the set-up Hutch has I may redo mine. The whole house filters (mine is a whirlpool) are an easy way to filter the water coming into your unit. At my favorite campground I kept getting small rust flakes stuck to the screen on my city water input. That is when I decided to get the filter.
2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #11

SUN #385
Hematite
With th excessive tongue weight of the 2499 with a full fresh water tank, I would like to avoid use of the tank completely and only use sites with water hookups. I think the 2 back to back filters that Hutch is using are the Hydro Life units. I decided to use the same setup, one with the filter and the other with the carbon block. The flow should be adequate for a shower and I'll very likely drink bottled water and also use this for cooking. Nice part about bottled water is I can store it in the refrig or an ice chest and have ice cold water. I don't want the complexity and expense of an added drinking water spout and filter. Just trying to keep it as simple as possible.

I'm also going to go with Steve Collins ideas of the pressure regulator and filters at the water supply in the campground!

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Rick

Old 09-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #12

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins
Better to regulate the pressure at the spigot and protect the hoses and filter. Think about all that variable campground water pressure in your hose laying out in the hot sun, softening and possibly weakening the hose.
I agree, I had a hose blow when we had a pop-up becuase we weren't using a pressure regulator.

Now I always put the pressure regulator on the spigot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hematite
I have read that you have to sanitize the water holding tank. Do I use one of these hookups to do that?
I sanitize my fresh water tank each spring. I don't use my filters for santizing the fresh water tank. The procedure I use to santize the trailer's water system (including Fresh Water Holding tank) is detailed in this post

Hope this helps.
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #13

SUN #115
emam
Becareful if you ever try to clean your fresh water tank with bleach. I read a post in an RVNet column where someone had said to put a cap of bleach per 40 gallons.

We had filled the tank in a campground and hadnt noticed the sulfur smell till it sat for a day or two. Once we emptied it out, I put one cap of bleach in the fresh tank and it took 3 tanks being drawn through the lines before we lost the bleach smell

So be warned if you think this will clean your lines. It'll more then likely clean your whole body too.

I wish I could get a set up like JohnB, but so far we've had no problems with our one filter system. If the source is bad, we have a Class A filter that filters everything, but if it's just a basic taste, then we just swap out a Carbon filter for taste and sediment.

These filters are also found at any hardware store and fairly cheap compared to the more expensive ones at the camping centers

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote