Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #1

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Water damage-how common?

My wife and I are looking at Sunlines to buy and so far, of the 3 we've looked at in the last few days, every one has had water damage to some extent. Soft walls in the corners, soft roof etc. The years we looked at have been one 2000 and two 2004's and I'm beginning to wonder if water damage is more common than not. We'd like to buy another Sunline but considering that 2007 was the last model year, all have to be 8 years or older and that's enough time for some serious damage to occur if not well cared for. Is it something to avoid altogether or is there a fair amount of hope that a dry Sunline in the model we like, in a reasonable distance from our home can be found?
Either we look at another brand of newer vintage, or get one that isn't too far gone. WE looked at a 2553 tonight that was dry and solid up front and most of the way back except the rear corners. The wardrobes conceal everything from inside, so no exposed walls are soft, but underneath the right rear corner, it's soft as well as on the roof corners. Worst is the R/S. We can probably get it well under book value, but there is work to be done if we buy it. Work I'm very capable of doing, but time is always a factor.
Any thoughts?

vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:42 AM   #2

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to say it's not just Sunlines. It's the rubber roof era. Everyone thinks their maintenance free. I looked at quite a few before we found ours. Didn't know about Sunlines then but found allot with leaks. Our Sunny was the first of any that wasn't. Wat I found useful was a moisture meter. It can tell you of moisture intrusion before there is damage. They do make pin type and non intrusive meters.
My neighbor has a Jayco. He's never been on the roof to inspect, still owes $15000 on it, bought it used a few years ago. Went to put slide out and was surprised to see wall going out but floor and bed staying so you see it's not just Sunline.

Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:19 AM   #3

SUN #37
Thanks Jim,
You're right, it's not just Sunlines, I am concerned however, that the longer a trailer sits out in the rain, the more chance it has to become water damaged and there are no 3 or 4 year old Sunlines anymore, so what are the chances of finding a Sunline without water damage? I can see myself passing up one after another because it has a soft spot here or there when at a reasonable price and some time spent replacing the rotted wood, a nice trailer could've been had.
Am I better off holding out for a perfectly dry one? Maybe. I'm not sure.
Thanks,
Rich
Old 07-07-2015, 06:00 AM   #4

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh there there. Mine was owned by a people that raised horses and used it one week a year for fair week then back in the barn. You never know what tomorrows add will bring
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Rich,

The water intrusion issue in not unique to Sunline. Some brands are worse because of the way they were built.

Your quest to find a dry used towable RV is a good one and I feel dry ones do exist, just as you have found it may be hard since you are an educated buyer after dealing with the rebuild of your current camper. I am sure many camper owners may not even know they are water infected, yet, when they are selling it. So you the buyer have to know what and were to look and this makes the weeding out process hard.

The other brands have the same and even worse issues. If the owner does not know or understand the pit falls of roof caulking, cargo door seams, running lights, corner joints etc they just do not know how to maintain them or even now they are suppose to maintain them. It does not matter what the brand.

The good news is the Sunline was made better from the start. It has a better chance to survive, but yet it too needs the constant maintenance help to keep the water out.

This may be a place where a good reputable RV dealer will sell a dry unit as they know too where the wet locations start. Hopefully they weed out the known wet ones. Pricing may be higher then private party, but again if the unit is worth the value to you, then cost is a relative matter as it does not burn your time fixing it.

Keep up our quest and be ready to move when the opportunity presents itself. We will keep rooting for ya.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #6

SUN #5443
krazedave is an unknown quantity at this point
Ditto with Jim. I found a 264sr 4 years ago. The guy bought in 06 without the wife and took it home. She said no way to camping. He put it in the barn and never used it. Put it on a dealers lot and I found it. So they are out there you just have to keep looking.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #7

SUN #37
Good advice all, I'll keep looking.
Thanks,
Rich
Old 07-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #8

SUN #7582
CharHapeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Not very. Our '88 has zero!