Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #1

SUN #115
emam
Warning for Dog Owners

If you have a dog... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.

Written by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville, Ohio

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give I V fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine! Over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220... He continued to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.

Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too.

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.

Confirmation from Snopes about the above...
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp
__________________________________________________ ______

This was sent to me just a few days after we sat around the campfire tossing our two dogs a few grapes for treats. I had never heard this before, and I now know better.

Luckily for us, neither of our dogs were affected by the few grapes we fed them, but this could have turned out to be their last campfire if we would have kept going.

Just something good to pass along

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Pat,
I posted that same exact message 1/30 in RV.Net Pets

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #3

SUN #115
emam
DId you? I looked through there and didnt see it before I posted it there also.

I know how RV owners are with their dogs. I thought I'd post it as many places as I could think of. There is nothing worse than a owner killing their dog doing something they didnt even know would hurt them

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 02-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #4

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Pat,

Thank-you very much for taking the time to post this.

It's good information to know and remember.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #5

SUN #385
Hematite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHutch
Pat,

Thank-you very much for taking the time to post this.

It's good information to know and remember.

Hutch
+1, Thanks!

Rick

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:57 AM   #6

SUN #225
Mark
I always check these kind of things when I read them (thye usually come via e-mils), and many turn out to be e-mail spam.

This one is unfortunately 100% true, to read a bit more of an explanation, here is a simple link:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:19 AM   #7

SUN #128
Tweety
Dried onion flakes are a problem too, not just onions. I gave Pepper a little meatloaf that I THOUGHT I had picked out all the bits of onion. It was maybe 2 Tbsp. of meatloaf. Luckily he vomited it right up.
A friend of mine's dog died the night he ate chocolate cake. The vet didn't tell her it was the cake.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:29 AM   #8

SUN #97
Woodstock
Time for me to chime in as my fur kids are closer to me than most humans. Since we are all campers and proud Sunline owners that take care of our campers be aware that a couple of moth balls ingested by your best pal can turn into an nightmare for all. Same with fabric softener sheets. I think most of us use these things on a regular basis in caring for our campers. Regarding food stuffs....years ago I made a decision to never feed my animals anything other than high quality dog foods and snacks. That way there is no doubt.

Pat...love your brendal dog...is that a Staffordshire or a Staff/Boxer mix? Looks a lot like my Boxer boy Chester.

David
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #9

SUN #300
DF5.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for posting that. I've heard of a couple of those things but not all of them.

1999 T-2970 Solaris SE
2007 Ford Expedition

DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the info. We also have given our girls grapes and raisins as treats. Not any more.
2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #11

SUN #115
emam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock
Pat...love your brendal dog...is that a Staffordshire or a Staff/Boxer mix? Looks a lot like my Boxer boy Chester.

David
I know it's mostly Staffordshire, but we dont know what it's mixed with? We rescued it from a rescue agency in Detroit that tries to find homes for them before they can be put to sleep by the humane society.

Detroit is one of those areas where if they find anything that looks like a pitbull, they just put them down.

He's probably one of the best Pit's I've had of the many in my lifetime. The most mild mannered and well behaved.

Thanks for the compliments

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com