Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #1

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wacky Salesperson

We are helping some friends of ours in a search for thier first camper.

We started Friday evening, looking at a private sale Coachman, very nice trailer except for when my foot almost went through the floor in the bathroom. Advertised as "No leaks, no Smells," etc. and the half the floor was rotten in the bathroom and there was a sizable area of rot along the floor and wall in the front queen bedroom also.

We then proceeded on Saturday to Leo's RV in Millersville, MD. Great conditions to be looking at trailers, 102 actual temp, 110 heat index!! The sales person who walked out to us was a total idiot. Our friends are limited in their tow vehicle is rated at 6600lbs, and they need to be able to sleep six comfortably. We looked as several used trailers and the one perfect one was already sold. Then the fun started, "This trailer weighs 5500lbs, it won't be a problem" of course that was dry weight and the GVW was closer to 8K. "Most people don't carry water, etc." True, but I really would like to be able to. "You'll be using a weight distributing hitch, so tongue weight doesn't matter" I won't comment on that one, other than to say I saddled up to both of the friends and told them "She doesn't know her butt from first base we'll get our salesman" (The gentleman we bought our Sunline from now works at Leo's, since Recreation World went under). And the final straw, mdfiregal and the friend asked to see the inside of a big Holiday Rambler Motorhome (we were standing right beside it at the time) and were told "Are you going to buy it? I'm on commission" and she refused to show it. Wow, I don't now who was more torqued, mdfiregal or the gal that was buying!!! We went in to the office to request "our" salesman and complained to the GM about the original salesperson. The GM hemmed and halled about the weather being hot, yadda, yadda, until our friend pulled out $4K in cash and asked him if he really was interested in selling them a trailer, needless to say we got switched over to Art real quick.

Art quickly determined that the best bet for weight versus sleeping capacity would be a hybrid and showed them several new ones in the weight class and a very slightly used, highly optioned, 2010 ROO 23SS, which they came to a deal on. If everything falls into place, they should be finalizing today. I was very impressed with the construction of the ROO, the cabinetry reminded me of Sunline quality!! It's Unfortunate, but there aren't many Sunline floorplans that would meet their sleeping needs in their weight range.

Oh, and BTW Diane....mdfiregal was very instrumental in convincing two gentleman to buy your 1950!! She was looking at it when they came in to look and she told them about the club and the virtues of Sunline and we understand they did purchase it. The GM thanked her for the help.

It's funny how memories come back to you, but five or six years ago, when we first started looking at RV's we left out of Leo's display at the MD RV Show because this same woman gave us a hard time about our kids checking out the bunks, etc. in the rigs. We were being very careful, shoes off, etc. and the kids were going to be sleeping there, so she was way out of line. When she came off with that "are you buying line.." it came back crystal clear.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #2

SUN #213
Diane is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW! What a time you and your friends had. The extreme heat was no excuse for stupidity. Glad you were able to get to your favorite sales person. We dealt with Bill Foster at Leo's and he was just great. He showed us what units we could tow with the Expedition and answered all our questions and offered to hook up the trailer to our TV to give it a try.

We had an interesting time at the Timonium show as we were also considering the Ever Lite TT's. We were very impressed with the TT's but the cost was $10k over the North Trail without us being able to see $10k worth of difference. After the show, I emailed the sales person witht he Ever Lite's to tell her we were purchasing the North Trail. She left me an extremely rude telephone message about how unhappy she was that we were not buying the Ever Lite, which by the way did not have as nice a floor plan as the North Trail. You can bet we don't refer any business to her!!

Thank mdfiregal for the helping selling the 1950 and hope the new owners sign on to this forum. We are always available to answer any questions about the Sunline.
Former 2011 North Trail & 2014 Open Range
Current 2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote