Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #1

SUN #1196
doken3 is an unknown quantity at this point
using 7" android tablet with gps

Does anyone have any experience with these for cross country use? Would like to have one unit so we could use the gps while traveling and use wifi at the campgrounds or elsewhere to check emails and communicate via the internet. Not interested in having a data plan to do it. Just a Trac Phone. My limited research tells me that maybe the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 might be the one? I am intersted in the 7' because a 10' is too large for my P.U. dash, visibility.

Thx DK.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
We travel with an iPad2 wifi only and a Garmin 1350LMT. Both were bought in 2011 and, for us, were the best solution. Since no one else has responded, I'll share my obviously biased opinion FWIW. It sounds like you haven't spent any money yet, so hope some of this is useful.

I would not get a 7" tablet to use as a GPS--it compromises both functions. Our 4.3" 1350LMT was an upgrade from a 3.5" 255. The larger screen is a useful improvement, mostly because you get a QWERTY keyboard instead of ABC. For me the 4.3" is as big as I want to go even on a truck dash. Information on a GPS should be visible at a glance. IMO, the larger the screen the more you have to focus on the info in the corners and that extra eye movement is a distraction. It's been awhile since the auto industry figured out that nobody actually had to read an indicator gauge. They just have to be positioned so normal temp, press, and batt is at TDC and you can tell at a glance if anything is wrong without having to focus and concentrate on what the numerical value of any gauge is. The further a GPS moves from this model the more distracting it becomes, not to mention the blind spot it creates.

I'm a bit paranoid--theft and heat--so don't leave the GPS or iPad in the truck. Depending on what you're doing, a 7" tablet could be on the big side to carry around compared to a GPS that's only wallet sized. I'm not familiar with the Galaxy wifi, but on the iPad only the wifi+3G has a GPS receiver. I have lots of iPad specific info, but these are also questions you should ask before investing in a Galaxy (open the page and type GPS into the page search function to get past all the other stuff in these long pages):

iPad 2 FAQ

iPad: Questions

iPad: Questions

I don't want to hijack this thread. See this new topic where I comment more on the tablet alone as an RV accessory.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #3

SUN #1196
doken3 is an unknown quantity at this point
7" tablet

Henry,
Thx for all that info. I'm still doing research and not sure which way we will go yet. On a two month trip this summer we would need to check email and pay bills so need wifi and an easy keyboard. Ths galaxy has a seperate bluetooth keyboard available to make it easier to use and includes gps. I don't want a data plan, we already have Trac phones. I agree that the size could be an issue on the dash so we'll look at that issue before a purchase. I've placed my grandaughters 10" netbook on my dash and it is too big. In April of this year Galaxy is coming out with a new version of the tab, 7.7, so we'll see. This is a droid system and I believe the apps are more widespread and sometimes free rather then being tied to itunes.
Still reshearching and will let you know.

Don K.
2008 Chev Silverado 1500 ex cab
2006 T-1950