Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-24-2011, 03:01 AM   #21

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
This is a very interesting discussion, especially because I think in other forums it would have long been locked.

I'm kind of in between the schools here. Part of it could be my age though. I like my lights, every single one of them, but I very much hate the very disrespectful types who were described above.

I grew up in the typical family campgrounds, which I'm thinking aren't the places that most people on here typically go to. In those places, you're really in the minority if you don't have awning lights hung up and on, so it's just something I've become very accustomed to. I really couldn't say if it's still very common these days, but it reminds me of some of my favorite times of my childhood and I want to remember them as best as I can. For what it's worth, I still use the exact same strings of lights... However, they go on in the late afternoon and go off when I go in to bed or shortly before. I rarely ever use the porch light and never leave either on overnight. My lights are fairly simple and just go the length of the awning, plus maybe some ropelighting elsewhere if I feel especially ambitious. I've never worried too much about my lights because in the places I go, I'm not usually in a rustic place. There's plenty of other lights, whether it be street lights, bath house lights, or pedestal lights, so shutting mine off won't make it that much darker, I don't think.

I'm certainly not the type to practically live outside. I've never seen the need for an actual extra refrigerator under the awning and definitely never a TV. I've never had a radio outside even, until getting the outside speakers from the factory on the '07 with the patio party pack.

Granted, I've never figured out, it seems old people are afraid of the dark. They seem like the ones who always leave those awful fifth wheel security lights on along with the porch lights all night long. Boy is that annoying all night long when it floods in between the window coverings.

However, I've had my fare share of kids and adults cutting through the campsite. I certainly understand it if they were to know the people whose site they were passing through, but complete strangers, really? I've chased a few down in my time, and I specifically remember one time. I have a picture somewhere. It was a themed Halloween weekend and I couldn't stand how people were just walking up into the site anywhere. So I roped the whole thing off except for specific entrance and exit paths. Lined it with those candles in a bag too.

We had a situation happen early on that somehow I don't remember. There was a family camped next to us I think in a Nomad TT on the off door side. Things were going good and I don't remember them being especially rowdy but I do remember them having a few kids (this was 1997...). Apparently, during one of the nights, one of their kids, an infant, got sick. Like not good sick. It cried and screamed, and even after turning the A/C on, we still heard it. And they were inside their trailer too. I think it had a massive ear infection in addition to some other serious problems. Apparently it went on for most of the night until they finally left for the hospital or something and then they came back and packed up early the next day. Not totally a rude situation, but certainly inconvenient for those camped close by.

I can't say I've ever had anyone blatantly dump trash in my site though. That sure takes the award. Here I usually walk around the campsite before I leave to A) make sure I have everything, and B) make sure I'm leaving it better than I found it. Must be all that Boy Scout training.

I can't believe that rowdy bunch with the huge spot lights. They must have been getting sun tans while playing?

What happened to the days of enjoying a nice evening around a campfire with some s'mores, great stories, and plenty of laughs? I try to do that as much as possible, even though as of late I admit I get some of the rally/socializing take over and then I crash from exhaustion before I can get a fire in .

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #22

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
My lights are fairly simple and just go the length of the awning, plus maybe some ropelighting elsewhere if I feel especially ambitious.
A string of "party lights" on an awning certainly doesn't fall into the annoying category. We stroll about the campground to look at those, especially on holidays.

Teach

"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to always put up a string of lights on the awning, until I saw an awning get destroyed by wind when I was some place out west. They were not large, bright tacky lights, just the typical small shaped RV string of lights. When I saw the people trying to get all their lights and wind chimes off their awning to get it closed before it got destroyed, that is when I had second thoughts about hanging lights or anything from the awning.

As many of you know I have 2 greyhounds, and I don't want to risk them sneaking out of the rig and going for a LONG, maybe never seen again run, so I have the 3 X-Pens that connect to the Sunline and this makes a nice size yard.

This yard has several benefits, keeps my dogs safe from other dogs that are permitted to run loose, and I have a long set of multi-colored, and a long set of clear "Rope Lights". I just lay the rope lights around the base of my X-pens, they provide just the right amount of light at night, and my X-Pens really do deter folks from cutting thru our site.

I guess over the years I have changed my RV'ing habits and find it to be much more enjoyable when I don't have as much "crap" to set up & take down. I see way TOO many RV's that appear to carry their "whole house" with them, and they appear to really be afraid of the dark.

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #24

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
This is a very interesting discussion, especially because I think in other forums it would have long been locked.
Hi Jon,

That is one really big difference with us here on SOC. No one is "attacking" fellow forum members, using inappropriate words or other forms of great dis-respect to each other.

We have the unique ability to talk about topics openly without resorting to attack tactics. Hey if we can talk about Gas verses Diesel and it not turn into a free for all.... well we must have something under control. LOL

I hope as we continue to grow we can keep these same values that made us what we are today.

To your topic about the Boy Scout training, I know each Troop does this a little different however we where really "into" how to approach entering another groups campsite. A campsite is like your home and you do not go running through someones home as you will. Boy or Adult leader when they came up to another Troops campsite, stopped and announced. "Permission to enter camp?" A Scout in the camp would announce, permission granted come on in. The first year Scouts where taught this and other respect things right from the get go and reminded when we camped with other Troops at summer camp or Camp-o-ree's. I know we are never going to get this at a public campground and do not expect it, but gee whiz... a little respect goes a long ways.

And I guess what really gets me so bent out of shape with the trash is that same Scouting background. Teaching and living by No Trace camping ethics once learned, there really is no other way that is right any longer. It is that engrained in me. On purpose leaving half burnt up trash in a fire ring 100 feet from the dumpster is ERRRRRR....

I too have the mini red white and blue Christmas lights along the awning. They go on when dark and we are outside by the camp fire. It is a mellow glow and when we go in, they go off. If we are not out, they are off. Not opposed to party lights on the camper, but 4,000 watts of halogens is pushing it...

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #25

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I remember those days of people asking permission to enter camp. We didn't officially get a camp entranceway until about half way through my time there; my dad built it actually. Unfortunately, the troop as a whole didn't have respect for one another. For the many years I was quartermaster and ruled the trailer, people still dared to take things out without my knowing to sign it out. Tents especially. I still have my campout records and the early ones only had names for about half the tents used. Then toward the end I finally made them realize it was going my way or the locked-door/off-limits way and they started checking them out from me.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #26

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty View Post
I used to always put up a string of lights on the awning, until I saw an awning get destroyed by wind when I was some place out west. They were not large, bright tacky lights, just the typical small shaped RV string of lights. When I saw the people trying to get all their lights and wind chimes off their awning to get it closed before it got destroyed, that is when I had second thoughts about hanging lights or anything from the awning.
Hmmmm ... that is certainly a point to consider. Anything set up outside should be able to be stowed quickly and unexpectedly (especially during thunderstorm season). Thanks for the reminder.

Teach
Old 12-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #27

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Love that rural justice.
A friend of my dad's was picked up by a PA Game Warden riding an ATV returning to camp from deer hunting on Public Game Lands. This was legal for a handicapped person (he was) if you had the proper paperwork (he didn't). Magistate gave him PBJ (probation before judgement) and $25 court costs. He tried to pay with a $100 bill and between the magistrate and the officer they didn't have change. A long discussion ensued about "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private" and the court refusing to accept it, etc.

End result.......he was found guilty of "contempt of court" charge and additional $75 fine. $100 bill accepted!!!

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #28

SUN #987
awellis3
Mack - tooooo funny!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #29

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Mack - tooooo funny!
X2 LOL!!!! There comes a time when you just need to stay "quiet"....

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #30

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
There comes a time when you just need to stay "quiet"....
JohnB-

There comes a time when you actually should pull out those smaller bills in your pocket and not push your good fortune with getting the PBJ and a $25 fine in the first place.

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #31

SUN #3152
cuffer101 is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW, I didn't realize that a simple question would tie someone's undies in a knot. I like to understand how somethings works. John B, Mackc-85, sunline fan, thanks for answering my question. Next time I have a question, I'll ask one of you three in an email. Chuck

2012 GMC SIERRA 3/4 TON DIESEL
2003 T2499, Selling, Sold. Miss It!
2005 Cardinal 29 WBLX
cuffer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #32

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
There are those that don't do lights it was not meant to be personal, the answers to your issue were good and concise the others were personal opinions I had often wondered about how it was done but it was nothing I would pursue. I personally have a tendency to park at the far end of camp grounds I like privacy and quiet there are others that like to socialize and I respect that.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #33

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Chuck.....please don't think any ones shorts where tied in a knot......that is the friendliness of this forum.....no one was bitching or complaining....just a round robbin discussion pros and cons on how we feel about lights.....

we all learn from each others posts and questions and this is a prime example on how it is done.....please don't take offense as none was intended (I'm sure) by anyone!

Hey I am one of those who camps in state campgrounds without electricity most of the time but I do have and do use solar lights around my TT and guess what I don't have a means to shut them off at night.....so they stay on.....I don't think they are offensive but others may!!!! But that is MY opinion!!!!!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #34

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lol!
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #35

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffer101 View Post
WOW, I didn't realize that a simple question would tie someone's undies in a knot.
Chuck
What did I miss?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #36

SUN #2582
sanstini is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I missed it too Teach. Liked your mall comment tho. I agree that it all comes down to mutual respect. Are there any campgrounds that are setup with sections for rowdys and seperate ones for nature lovers? That probably wouldn't be cost-effective though.
sanstini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #37

SUN #1879
OhhWell is an unknown quantity at this point
Yup, nothing nasty about this discussion. I was reading one similar on another board just yesterday and was wondering something...

What is a "Scare Light"?

We typicaly leave the amber light by the front door on all night as the wife feels safer with it on and kids in the camper. I never thought that thing would bug too many people.

As far as the camp sites with tons of rope lighting and such, I never have a problem with those either. Usually those are set to be astheticaly pleasing. Even the overdone tacky ones don't bug me but then again, we usually stay where there are a few trees between sites.

Now, the halogen construction lights might be a bit much and (slightly off topic but) sound is a huge deal to me when trying to sleep and lights not much. Just another example how people are all quite different.

At least we're not stuck in a tent next to some of those offensive groups right?

Former trailers - '94 T-2770
'02 t-2753
'08 Keystone Sprinter 299BHSS
OhhWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #38

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhhWell View Post
What is a "Scare Light"?
Judging from the context in which the term appears most often, I believe it refers to those very bright lights on some 5th wheels that are meant to illuminate a large area. It is a "task light," one that should be shut off after the task is done. I have also gleaned from other contexts that it can refer to any bright light left on overnight to scare away unwanted critters.

Quote:
We typicaly leave the amber light by the front door on all night as the wife feels safer with it on and kids in the camper. I never thought that thing would bug too many people.
I wouldn't think so. Most standard "porch lights" barely illuminate the area under your awning much less annoy the neighbors.

Quote:
Now, the halogen construction lights might be a bit much.
Now, that's a scare light, for sure!

Teach