Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #1

SUN #3417
wrigger is an unknown quantity at this point
Traveling North to the New England states

Hello all you Sunline folk. We are planning a trip this September from our home here in Punxsutawney PA and travel up along the New England states. We have nine days to travel and we would like to go to Moosehead Lake, Bar Harbor and Acadia NP. If anyone has been to these places I would like to know where you stayed and if you would recommend it. Not quite sure yet how to lay the trip out as far as staying at different locations but would like to hear from anyone who has been to these locations.
We have a small T-1950 and we love it just right for two and it is in very good condition we take care of it, she is very road worthy. Hope to hear from some fellow campers.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Kevin,

I have never been to Moosehead Lake so all I can say about it is that people that have been love the area.

My wife and I have been going to Bar Harbor and Acadia NP for many years and we love it there. I could go on for pages but I will try stick to the highlights.

We always stay at Bar Harbor Campground, in fact we are going again next week. ( The Bar Harbor Campground ) It is a no frills campground but they have a nice pool and a nice playground for kids. They do not take reservations and do not take credit cards. They DO take personal checks. You should have no problem getting a site in September after the kids have gone back to school. Some sites have water, electric, sewer (no cable) and many sites are water and electric only. They also have a large number of tent sites, some open some in the trees. They do have excellent free WiFi service. You pick a site, set up, go back to the office and pay. If you want to stay longer just go to the office and pay. Always nice folks working there.

The town of Bar Harbor is a bit "touristy" with lots of small shops but most of Mount Desert Island is sparse, wooded and beautiful. The tiny village of Somesville is one of the prettiest I have ever seen. Don't blink driving through or you will miss it. Notably missing from all of Mount Desert Island are chain stores. No McDonalds, Burger King, Dunkin Donuts and etc. For that you have to drive 8 miles or so off the island to the town of Ellsworth.

Acadia NP is a very rustic natural beauty with both dense woods and fantastic ocean views along the rocky coastline. Highlights of the park are the "Loop Road", Cadillac Mountain (all 1500 feet!), Tea and Popovers on the lawn at the Jordan Pond House and the Carriage Roads which is a network of roads throughout the park for people, horses and bicycles but NO motorized vehicles.

It seems to us that a week on Mount Desert Island isn't enough time to see it all so we keep going back. .... and then we go back in early October for the foliage and close the campground on Columbus Day.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:45 AM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
That's a good trip and by Maine standards fairly close together. Moose Head is nice the coast has a lot more to see. A lot of the roads around Moose Head are dirt and pretty rough for a camper. The large towns are easy access place like North East Carry are not. Arcadia is a don't miss personally I would just go right up route one and stop where the sprite tells you to. The Owls head museum is worth a visit as is just about any thing down east. Camden Hills camp ground is very nice it is a state park. There is no lack of places to camp so I would not worry too much about that. 9 days may seem like a lot until you visit the area you could spend months just trying to find all the light houses.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #4

SUN #3417
wrigger is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey thanks Gene and mainah this information will help us out now we won't be going into this totally blind! Your information was much appreciated.
Kevin and Dot