Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #1

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Tire Upgrade...class E ?

I read about how Pat Bonish (EMAM) upgraded his tires to 225/75/15 class E from the stock sized 205/75/15 class C. I'm a fan of his Blogs (Cindy's too) and his equipment usage seems to be almost a benchmark for suitability since he full timed in their 2499 and got into a lot of marginal quality out of the way places. I always thought the larger size tire here would necessitate a larger rim size...but apparently not for his situation. What's the general thought on this upgrade when it's time to buy another set to replace the stockers?

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #2

SUN #385
Hematite
The stock Sunline rims are NOT rated for the pressure level of Class E tires so the carrying capacity is not increased by putting a higher Class tire on it. You do get a heavier built tire, though, that may be more durable. Heavier built usually also means: produces more heat and offers more resistance when rolling.
A wider rim for a wider tire lets the tire wear and handle better. A rim too narrow concentrates the weight carrying on the center of the tread. Myself, I'm staying with the standard size and range which are totally adequate for anything I'm going to do. More important than the size and Class, which are completely adequate, is the quality of the tire.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote