Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #1

SUN #5585
Grayson is an unknown quantity at this point
Sunline T-2453 Dead Battery Issue/Question

I purchased a pre-owned 2453. (Background Info) The prior owner had not used a brake controller on her vehicle but the 8 point connector from trailer to her tow vehicle did provide electricity for brake lights, turn signal etc. I had a brake controller and 8 point receiver added to my truck bumper. Today, I actually got around to connecting all the parts. With the engine running and the electrical connections mad the trailer had no interior lights, brake lights or turn signals. I did not see a "glow" on the brake controller.
I am not knowledgeable of electrical technology. But, I am fairly sure that the RV battery is dead. So my question is: If the RV battery is dead/discharged, will that prevent the rest of the system from working? What if the RV is in fact attached to the tow vehicle with the engine operating? Also, is the a place to look for disconnects, switches etc.? About two months ago, I did have a battery charger on the battery and the interior lights did work. I was not checking brakes etc. as the RV was not "hooked up" to the tow vehicle. Any thoughts or experience will be appreciated.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Pretty much every thing depends on the TV to work. It provides power to every thing camper including charging the camper battery. The camper battery is not needed for the parking, signal light, brakes or stop lights. Once you are parked the camper battery provides power for all your stuff inside the camper. I would start by checking your grounding connections if none of that stuff works. Have a friend with a 7 pin connector on their TV?

Old 10-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #3

SUN #5585
Grayson is an unknown quantity at this point
Maina,
Thanks for the input. I have resolved my dilemma. I did two things, but not sure if one or both solved the issue. Step one, I re-hooked my battery charger to the RV exterior battery and let it run for an hour or so. I next re-connected the RV cable to the TV bumper receiver. Gave it a good push to ensure snug fit. Hooray. I now have my signal lamp on the brake controller working and interior and exterior RV lights are working. I guess it is the learning curve of being a new RV owner. Again thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
Best Regards,
Grayson