Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #1

SUN #207
Shelly
sunline barbeque grill

After picking up our sunline we realized that the gas is plumbed out to underneath the position of where a grill can be attached to the trailer side. How do those of you with the grill like it? Would you recommend getting one? We're assuming the grill is a generic RV grill that we could purchase at any large RV store, is that correct or do we need hardware specific to sunline?

Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:12 AM   #2

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Shelly - you will surely get a lot of pro vs con comments on this topic.....we happen to love ur BBQ, which we got the with camper, I think any one will work as long as you have the correct connector - if I'm not mistaken I think it is a quick release connector.

Anyway - we have a T1950 and we have to make sure that we close the window to the bedroom area before we cook.....DH does make some smoke cooking!

We have not had an issue with heat on the side of the TT, grease on the walls of the TT or awning, we happen to LIKE our BBQ.

Let see who else chimes in!

Enjoy you COACH and the upcoming camping season!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:39 AM   #3

SUN #128
Tweety
We have the RVQ, which came with our previous camper, so we don't have the rail on the side of the QUE. DH bent the frame that used to fit in the rail so that it now sits on the ground. We like it much better that way. It's a little bit away from the side of the camper so that any smoke or smells tend to stay outside better. We LOVE the RVQ and use it on every trip. You can buy the RVQ at RV dealers. I see alot of people with a free standing gas grill. Those look nice too because they'll sit anywhere on your campsite, but they are toting an extra freestanding gas bottle too.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:10 AM   #4

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Shelly,

Note, that you can’t use just any grill with your trailer’s rear LP hook-up. It needs to be a low pressure grill, like the RVQ.

As Pappy & Nana said, it’s really personal choice / opinion. A lot of people love them.

Our Sunline came with the outside grill but we don’t use it for the following reasons,
> I’m not comfortable having the grill that close to the trailer and under the awning.
> Takes up a lot of room to store
> It cooks slower (being a low-pressure grill) than our other portable.

We use a portable grill with a 5 lb propane tank.

What I would like to get is one of those 2 burner range tops that attach to the side of the camper, like a lot of the pop-ups have. This would allow us to heat water, cook, etc. outside, which I think we would use more.

But that’s just my opinion.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:05 AM   #5

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
BBQ

I too would like one of those 2 burner stoves mounted to the side of the trailer rather than a BBQ but cannot find one. We would use that more often than a BBQ. Anyone know where they're sold?
Paul
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #6

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Paul,

I was told by my dealer that Starcraft has a 3-burner carry out range that is low presure that would work with our trailers.

Our Coleman pop-up had an outside range that was a perfect size, but that was a high-pressure one, so that brand wouldn't work.

I haven't found any place other than a dealership to purchase one of the Starcraft carry-out units. Still, looking if I find any place I will share the information. I want to see one before considering purchasing it.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Shelly

Hutch nailed it about the gas pressure if you want to use the tap on the side of the camper. The stove or BBQ needs to runs on 11” water column WC low pressure propane gas if you want to use that tap.

Most of the gas grills you see in the store that run off of the little green gas bottles are actually high pressure stoves. Like 7 or 10 psi.

However, to help you and Hutch out, see this web site: Vitco stoves

Vitco makes the RVQ and the RVQ II. And you can buy direct on line if you want.

You need a shut off and a LP gas rated quick disconnect. They actually make a gas quick disconnect with the shut off all in one. I can’t put my fingers on one this minute but here are the just the quick disconnect only part. Marshal Brass or this one Mr Heater at Ace hardware

However both of them do not have the little shut off on the side of the female quick disconnect part. That little shut off let’s you for sure shut off the gas. Don’t use compressed air rated quick couplings. They are not gas rated. I do not know for sure that the shutoff is law, but it is a good idea.

Now for Hutch:

Vitco also has 2 and 3 burner stoves with the fold down cover that are porcelain stoves. Victo makes stove tops for a number of camper builders. The stoves are rated at 6,500 btu’s which sounds like low pressure gas. Would have to call them to know for sure.

I went thru this a few years ago too. I had a Coleman PU that had a 2 burner outside stove that ran on high pressure. This was unique to Coleman and was a nice stove. Up front by the gas bottles, they had a tank to high pressure regulator, a tee in it then the low pressure regulator for inside propane use. Inside stove, furnace, and HW heater used the low pressure as required by law. They taped into the high pressure tee to pipe to the outside high pressure stove.

I traded the stove with the PU when we got the TT. Wish I never did. Thought I would just buy a new one. Well I went to Coleman and asked. $365. I said NO. They really love there neat little stove.

On the Vitco I sent you to you will have to make up a box to house the cook top like the Starcraft and others do.

For me I ended up using a 10,000 btu high pressure all stainless outdoor stove run on my 5# gas bottle. It was cheaper to buy the bottle then to install all the right rated gas fittings and regulators off the main tanks. And it’s portable. The dual change over regulators made it complex to do like Coleman did.

If you want to boil water, even my 10,000 btu one will take ½ hour for about 1 ½ gallons for washing dishes outside. For cooking, well the 6,500 btu one will burn up your frying pan just as well as the 10,000 one. But boiling a gallon or more of water with the 6,500 one, well be prepared for a long wait. A coffee pot, well it will work. Most likely your master burner inside your camper is 6,500 btu rated so you know how good it is or not.

I’m in the process now of making a mounting rail and top for my outside stove to attach to the rail on the camper just to hold it level. You can buy the mating rail at a RV dealer. If wanted I’ll take pic’s when done. May do this weekend if weather cooperates.

Hope this helps

John

PS If you really want a outdoor cooking machine see
Camp Chefl They do also have 11" =WC units and high pressure and they have 25,000 to 30,000 btu burners. You can have a clam bake to a sweet corn fest. We have these in our Boy Scout troop for big gatherings. No problem boiling water or turning them down to cook pancakes. Only problem in the TT is the weight.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:06 AM   #8

SUN #230
sewfancy
We bought the RVQII and have only used it a couple of times, but so far my husband likes it. We bought the griddle and it is great for cooking breakfast outside. The carrying case is also nice and keeps everything neat. We also purchased the rolling stand that goes with it but haven't even taken it out of the box yet. My husband has been setting the grill on the picnic table until we get the stand put together. We also bought the adapter that allows you to use a regular propane tank but we haven't hooked it up yet.

Patricia
Old 04-27-2007, 06:07 AM   #9

SUN #21
donreitz
We enjoy the RVQ-type unit that came with our 2499. We use it for basic grilling: hamburgers and vegetables and maybe small steaks. The unit isn't very powerful so we've never run into problems with it heating up the side of the trailer or posing a danger to the awning. If you're into serious grilling, I'd get a standalone unit from Weber or Coleman, but if you're needs are basic stick with the RVQ. It's convenient and it works.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:18 AM   #10

SUN #105
mbart5fan
We use this table
http://backwoodscampingsupplies.com/pro903033.html
along with a 2 burner coleman stove and a Baby Q grill attached to a20# tank with a distribution tree,
http://backwoodscampingsupplies.com/pro904629.html
2 hoses and a lantern on top of the tree. By disconnecting the hoses we can move the lantern where needed in the evening. We've been using this arrangement for years and it works great for us.

Mike
Old 04-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #11

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
BBQ/Stove

An absolute wealth if information, I love this forum. I think a good compromise for me would be the RVQ II with the griddle. Thank you all for the info.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote