Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Sunline 2010 Road trip. Lot's of pic's

Hi Fellow Sunliners.

I know it is nice to see folks travels in their Sunline and new CG’s so we would like to share our 2010 road trip we just completed.

The trip was a little over 1,600 miles and started here in Central Ohio, up thru northern OH, into western NY, then up to real upstate NY….., down to lower NY, back thru PA, eastern OH, then back home. 18 nights, 19 days and 7 campgrounds, 4 of which where direct leads from SOC members. And I’m ready to go again…. Actually we are sneaking out for 1 night this weekend. Have to work Sunday but the CG is calling… and the weather is way too nice to not go this weekend.

So here we are in pics.

A rest stop along I 70 in Ohio on our day out.

Then to our first CG. This Ohio SP is right on the lake. Very nice place. We had a full hookup site for this 1 night. Needed to get on the road early so I sprang for the little extra.

Next we head to western NY to meet up with a bunch of other fellow Sunliners at Southwoods RV resort for 2 nights at the Western NY M & G. I missed the CG sign pic and a long shot of all the Sunlines. But here is our site. Was between Trailblazer and Restless. This is a very nice CG.

Then we where off to upstate NY for 4 nights. We could not make the timing of the M & G but we where there in spirit this year. Wonder if Canoe2 felt a bigger Sunline in his shadows…. We both had the same site. This is a boondocking setup and we have adapted the camper that no shore power is really not an inconvenience.

Last year we where at the M & G and there was so much to see in there area we missed so we went looking this year. The beach area at Nick’s

The start of some trails where you can back pack.

And Cindy just chill’in with her book at camp. It was cool this year.

We took a day trip up to Blue Mountain lake area. Beautiful.

While there we stopped in to the measure. Really neat place. Figure a day to see it all and take time to read a lot of the stuff they have. A must see if you are in the area.

The entrance building. Just 1 of many, many buildings.

This one caught my eye on the craftsmanship it takes to make a wood canoe.

On the way back we stopped into Eighth Lake DEC Park to look around. An older campground but some very nice areas.

We wanted to stop into Golden Beach DEC park but they where closed and blocked off for the season.

Next it was down to my Mom's in the lower Hudson valley. Here is the home I grew up in. Mom and my step Dad still live there.

We where at Camp Mom for 4 nights. Boondocking again, no issues. Some how I do not remember this field next to the house being this steep. That is until you want to put something level on it…. Our main farm was up behind Mom’s house. Grandma gave her the old corn field to build a house on some 60 years ago. This directly reminded of Camp Kitty in Martinsburg WV…. Gary said everything in WV is built on a hill, well NY has some too…

The pic looks worse then it is, but I’m glad the main entry door is in the back….

Then were off to the Pocono mountains. Leaving the area where Mom is at is the Rip Van Winkle bridge over the Hudson river with the Catskill mountains in the background. They say if you look hard you can see Rip Van Winkle sleeping along the mountain range. This pic is more of just the bridge and maybe Rip’s partial head in the mountain range.

Down I87 to I 84 and into PA

We stayed at Promised Land SP for 2 nights. Very nice park and very empty mid week like most OH SP’s. Thanks for the recommendation Mike and Frank. (264SRinPA)(Frank)

I could not find the park main sign but found the camp office. Again very nice building complete with working wind mill.

At the CG

At out site picnic table looking forward. I must say PA state parks are in competition with NYS DEC campgrounds on who has the heaviest picnic table. My goodness it must weigh 200#.

And in this park these flowering bushes grow wild everywhere. In NY and Ohio they sell them as high end bushes. This small one was planted at the camp site. I think these are Rhododendron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We went for a look at the rest of the park and some of there hiking trails. Big place and lot’s to see. The main lake

A nice spot to rest along a very nice hike thru the woods

One night we went simple and did foil packets.

Sure a good dinner and clean up is easy.

Then we where off to western PA for 2 nights. And this park is beautiful if you are into nature. A very unique place and really up on a mountain. The CG is at 2,000 feet elevation as stated by Garmin. And I’m glad I had all the truck I had towing up this mountain with this camper. This is a shot on the way out, I missed the pics on the way in. Leaving heading west is more gentle then coming in from the east. This pic does not do justice to the hills on the way in. This park was a tip from Tweety. However she did not make it there yet by the time we went. Off camping in other great parts of PA. Too many CG’s not enough time.

And the CG.

This park has a unique bog. The water was down 3 feet due to work on a dam down stream. Must have been the year for dam work as 3 parks we stayed at had the lake drawn down. They have many trails thru and around the area.

Here is down by the main road. This is a new bridge this year

The beach side

Back at camp mini bears as we call them in Scouts where everywhere….. there are a number of oak trees in this CG and , ka thunk….was common on the camper roof from acrons dropping. Here is one of these mini bears out playing.

If you like camping in the trees this park has many. See here looking out the back of the camper.

Next we made it back to eastern OH for 2 nights. We have not been back to this park with this T310SR. Was here several years ago with our smaller camper. A very nice park. Big lake.

The campsite with the lake in the background.

Here is the other side of the lake looking at the camper. Again this lake too was down 3 feet for dam work.

And then back home. Hope you enjoyed the trip.

Thanks

John and Cindy

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #2

SUN #78
tedontario
WOW John and Cindy;

As usual what a nice lay out of photos of a great trip. In my healing I do exercising and stand just on my left foot. Rather than count I recite a story and part of it is that there are so many nice places to camp. You have just shown how true that is. We can see you really enjoy your time on the road. Next year we will be going to Florida but we will have some extra time to just wonder around a bit. Thanks for the show.

Ted

tedontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #3

SUN #128
Tweety
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. Looks like you had a great time
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #4

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Most Impressive John!!

You helped jump start the morning with this really wonderful array of photos and the adventures which went along with them. Many nice campsites, I want to try them all...at least in my wishful thoughts if not for real. The shot of your rig outside your family's home is a bit of a TILT....laughed at the idea of how many steps you would have needed to make that comfy...lucky for the alternate entryway.

Sounds like it was a grand adventure and for as much of a sunline gentleman as you obviously are...I'd say very well deserved!

Now I'm back to checking all these pictures again...

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #5

SUN #1108
KathleenNY is an unknown quantity at this point
John, I loved your pictures....New York along the Hudson Valley is beautiful today. Drove down 9H (near your old homestead) today into Red Hook. Scenery was magnificent. Hope to see you next year in Western NY.
KathleenNY
2002 T-2363
Old 10-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #6

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
I just knew you get back to Nicks Lake! It has been our autumn season-ender for 11 or 12 years now.

Great trip all around, but I am glad you and Cindy visited the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake. It is the perfect day trip from anywhere in the Adirondack Park.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #7

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
John great photos!!!! Hope you enjoyed your trip!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #8

SUN #28
sunnyseagull
very nice John , very nice!!!!

Dan
Old 10-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
John & Cindy,

Hey John, I think the pic of your Sunline parked at your moms was REALLY taken in our driveway.

WOW, what a fantastic trip. Thank you for posting the wonderful photos. I wish we could escape from the working world and get out to some of the beautiful places you get to. You see to have such great places in your area.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #10

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Folks

Sorry so long getting back to you. Been out camping this past weekend, YEH!!!! and then had to work Sunday.

So catching up on some responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedontario View Post
WOW John and Cindy;

As usual what a nice lay out of photos of a great trip. In my healing I do exercising and stand just on my left foot. Rather than count I recite a story and part of it is that there are so many nice places to camp. You have just shown how true that is. We can see you really enjoy your time on the road. Next year we will be going to Florida but we will have some extra time to just wonder around a bit. Thanks for the show.

Ted
Ted, good to hear you are healing up. Yes we have lot’s of more new places to see. I have found PA state parks to be really nice so far. This year we camped at 2 more taking our total up to 3. And all 3 where great!!. Lot’s more yet to see. Next year if you get down this way and have time, let us know. We can maybe catch up with your wife and you in a CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. Looks like you had a great time [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Dad/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
Thanks Tweety. Your tip on Black Moshannon was GREAT!!! Now you have to go see it….LOL I was almost going to switch to Bald Eagle when the park service sent the email about the water level being down 3 feet this year for work on the dam. Well, it did not de-rate our most enjoyable visit and we are really glad we found this park. Will go back again if we are ever in the area.

H’mm I thought you asked about the boondocking setup we use, but didn’t see that question now. While our setup is not yet totally complete we now camp with no shore line power as no real big problem. I did upgrade the converter to a Progressive Dynamics that will kick in instantly to boost mode or I can force it. We have 2 batteries and I thought Mr Tweety put 2 on Tweety as well. This year I kept up’ing the number of converted LED bulbs inside. Been doing it the last 2 years and after 1 more year I will be about fully converted. This helps on good light and low battery use.

At night we turn the furnace on but set it at 63. It may only run once or so. So it is not a drain on the battery. Each day I top off the battery during the genny run times. That is key, stay ahead of it in case you need some reserve. This year in weather is so off the wall we never took the clear shink plastic off the windows except for a few. It helps with the AC and keeping the heat in. So again less furnace run time.

We cheat and use the microwave during genny run times and Cindy dries her hair in AM as well during genny time. I found new total wrap around coffee filters for the perk pot so that now works well too. This trip we went from full hook up to boondocking and then back to shore power and on board tanks. There was no complaints this year at all in the lack of shore line power. Everything worked and the non power sites where most times nicer then some of the power sites that are still great….!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodoleBob View Post
Most Impressive John!!

You helped jump start the morning with this really wonderful array of photos and the adventures which went along with them. Many nice campsites, I want to try them all...at least in my wishful thoughts if not for real. The shot of your rig outside your family's home is a bit of a TILT....laughed at the idea of how many steps you would have needed to make that comfy...lucky for the alternate entryway.

Sounds like it was a grand adventure and for as much of a sunline gentleman as you obviously are...I'd say very well deserved!
Bob
Bob, Gee thanks and glad I perked up you day. That was the intent!!! The steps on the tilt of a hill….. actually the rear door is out main door. Had no problem in the back as it was about on the ground…. In fact our 3 step fold out stairs had a hard time as they where too close to the ground. But a trusty 2 x 4 block I always carry fixed that. Our T310SR is a rear living layout just like your T2499. In fact the T310SR is an all grown up T2499. Same rear living area, same pass thru bath, and front bed room. Just about 5 feet longer… and heavier.

Yes we too have many more campgrounds to see even here on the east coast. Then we will head west, some day….

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenNY View Post
John, I loved your pictures....New York along the Hudson Valley is beautiful today. Drove down 9H (near your old homestead) today into Red Hook. Scenery was magnificent. Hope to see you next year in Western NY.
KathleenNY
2002 T-2363
Hi Kathleen, Thanks glad you liked the pics. It was very nice to meet DH and you at Southwoods. That was a really great start to our trip. A Sunline M & G!!! Down 9H, yes I remember that road well. We use to haul fresh produce about every night to Menands wholesale market during harvest season. In our case, up Rt 66 to Rt 9H to I 90 then up to I 787 and into Menands. And yes that area of NY is very nice this time of year with all the leaves changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
I just knew you would get back to Nicks Lake! It has been our autumn season-ender for 11 or 12 years now.

Great trip all around, but I am glad you and Cindy visited the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake. It is the perfect day trip from anywhere in the Adirondack Park.
Yes Steve, Nicks lake is GREAT!!! Here I lived in NY for 32 years and never knew of that gem. Next year we may head further north in the park. Maybe Fish Creek Pond. Cindy wants to go see Lake Placid and I’m all up for ADK style camping!!! The ADK Museum, wow more then I ever expected….. Never realized back in the day how this was the “happ’ining” vacation spot. Cindy still talks about the big map layout of Blue Mountain Lake where the train would bring guests up the mountain, then the boat ride, then the short train ride and again a boat ride into Blue Mountain Lake…. The ADK’s are for sure unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
John great photos!!!! Hope you enjoyed your trip!
Kathy, yes we really enjoyed the trip. We tried to stop into Golden Beach but they where already closed for the season and the sign was even down…. It looked like they may have been doing some kind of road work at the park. And we did have a special treat Monday night. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyseagull View Post
very nice John , very nice!!!! Dan
Dan, Thanks. It was a great trip. Can’t wait for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty View Post
John & Cindy,

Hey John, I think the pic of your Sunline parked at your moms was REALLY taken in our driveway. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Dad/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

WOW, what a fantastic trip. Thank you for posting the wonderful photos. I wish we could escape from the working world and get out to some of the beautiful places you get to. You see to have such great places in your area.

Kitty
Thanks Kitty. I sure felt like we where at camp Kitty when I attempted to level out the camper at Mom’s house. ...... Last year when we where there I did not get as fussy and was about 4” nose low. Nope, that did not work. Had to turn around in bed to sleep that night. The next morning I redid it to level. But this year I was armed with better blocks. Tell Gary those blocks worked great!!! Hope things settle down and you get out soon.

Thanks everyone

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #11

SUN #128
Tweety
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
H’mm I thought you asked about the boondocking setup we use, but didn’t see that question now.
You're right John, I did ask about boondocking, but then went back and deleted the question because I thought it would make a good stand alone topic. Problem is I got distracted and forgot to start a new discussion
Thanks for the reply! Good to know that the generator will top off the batteries sufficiently. Steve keeps asking me to order those LED bulbs.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #12

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi John,
Thanks for the documentation of your trip! The pics are great and the captions explain what we're looking at. Barbara and I particularly enjoyed the Adirondack pics. We were there in 2009 (stayed near Lake George) and we travelled all over the park. We sure do love that area, but seeing that it hit 28 degrees this past week reminds us of why we headed south instead of north when we left NYC 21 yrs. ago. We do like cold weather camping though (love the sound of that furnace coming on) and will be camping in Shenendoah River SP below Royal Va. in 2 weeks.
Thanks,
Rich

vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote