Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-25-2008, 09:49 AM   #1

SUN #517
luvrque
SMOKE/CO ALARM sounds w/LCDTV on.....

Has anybody had this problem, if so what did you do to solve it ?
I have a QUE and installed a 17"LCDtv on the wall where the factory installs them,which is app 2'from the smoke/co alarm.
When I turn the tv on in app 5 to 15 mins.the alarm sounds. I called the co. First Alert with no real help......

Thanks in advance for any help.................Joe

2007 Que RE
2011 Tahoe LTZ.
https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...orums/Qsig.jpg
luvrque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
That's really wierd. We installed a flat screen there also, and never had an issue.

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #3

SUN #382
Mooney
The only thing I can think of is that your smoke alarm may also sense heat? Some of the LCDs pump out a lot of heat, and in close proximity to a heat/ smoke/ CO detector it may set it off. Our apartment's detector goes off if the shower gets too steamy and you open the bath door.

It is a BRK brand (whatever that stands for, I don't know- but they may use the same source for their sensors...)
'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney
Our apartment's detector goes off if the shower gets too steamy and you open the bath door.
Greg, I do agree heat might have something to do with this, but in your case of the shower, they may be something different.

We added a 2nd smoke detector to our T2499. Put one in the bed room. The center bath cuts the trailer in half and I wanted one in the Kitchen that also detected carbon monoxide. So I moved the Sunline provide one, Firex brand, from the kitchen to the bed room. And we installed a Kidde combo talking one that does both smoke and Carbon Monoxide in the kitchen.

Point in all this, the Firex that comes with the camper from Sunline, at least in 2004, would go off as soon as we get out for the shower. Steam went over the bath door into the bedroom. It was not heat that did it though. Reading in the Firex manual it states not to install the alarm in a damp or very humid areas such as bath rooms with showers where humidity can rise to above 93% relative humidity. This seems to allow moisture to condense inside and set off false alarms. It drove us nuts as that one is hard to get off the mount and wave in the wind to shut it up.

Later we replaced the Firex with another Kidde Combo unit that has a quick rotation base so you can untwist it off quick if needed. However the Kidde Model KN-COSM-B does not get affected by the steam the same way. And it has a silence button.

Different detectors use different sensing technology I guess. However the toaster in the kitchen sets it off the smoke alarm all the time, but with the quick turn Kidde base, we can take it down before toast and then put it back up quick again. Or else we wake the camp ground….

Also just reading in the Firex manual it says false alarm can come above 100F. So if there is a hot wave of heat like you said, it “might” do something like that.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #5

SUN #256
Bobo
Basically there are two types of sensors for smoke detectors. The type that usually go off for steam is a light detecting sensor that reads the level of light using an electric eye. The airborne particles in the air block the light source ie; smoke, steam, dust, the eye reads the reduction of light and sounds the alarm. I had that type once in an apartment I lived in. Humidity in the summertime would set it off. Once a spider crawled into the alarm and set it off. Never saw a spider move so fast in my life.

Without getting into the workings of the second type of sensor, it detects smoke particles in the air by reading the air 'quality'. It is more sensitive and can be set off by smoke you can not even see, ie; when you use the oven broiler.

A third style is a heat detector. Not a good choice in a small enclosed space like a TT. The smoke will get you first before the heat will.

Your best bet is the combo style like John has. As for the TV setting it off, try moving the detector to the other side of the room.

Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:48 AM   #6

SUN #225
Mark
Could it be that you were watching a cooking television program?

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #7

SUN #517
luvrque
Alarm problem solved....

The first time I called First Alert they said it has to be at least 10 ft. from the TV= Not possible in the Que.
So after not finding anybody on this site with the same problemI figured the Alarm was defective. I called First Alert again they said it was the IR from the remote setting it off. They told me how to disconect the IR feature in the alarm, I did so and still the alarm goes off with the TV remote on. So I called again (third time) and they said they would send me a new Alarm#SCO5RV same as I had. (It had a 5yr. warranty)
I got the new Alarm and the TV works fine with it ! Problem Solved

2007 Que RE
2011 Tahoe LTZ.
https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...orums/Qsig.jpg
luvrque is offline   Reply With Quote