Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-02-2008, 05:49 AM   #1

SUN #225
Mark
Slingbox-TV from home while on the road (via the internet)

I wanted to pass on a tip for those of you who are on the road a lot, and use an Internet connection (cellular or via a campground).

If you have ever wanted to be able to watch your home television---say for local news/events, you may want to investigate Slingbox:

http://www.slingmedia.com/

As I have mentioned a few times, I am currently living in Europe on a six month project that I "volunteered" to do for my company. After a bit of setup issues, I was able to setup the Slingbox at home, connected to my home network and router and a TV device of my choosing.

I open my laptop (on the road, or even in a another room), and I start up their software. It allows me full control of the device I have connected to tit (in my case, a VCR/Tuner/DVD player), through an infrared connection to this box, I can "work" the remote to change channels or start a DVD.

The Slingbox could also be used in a relative's house, if you are full timing, so you could watch your favorite sports team, or "share" a Satellite channel.

I suggest you look at the web site, and of you have any questions, please post them, as I don't want to drone on about it if no one is interested.

(EMAM, this might be of special interest to you, the Mrs., and those Maker's Mark-loving dogs.)

To me, its very comforting to see my local news, and familiar commercials, and makes me feel "more connected" to home, even though I am 5000 miles away.

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #2

SUN #115
emam
Hey Mark, we had looked into this before we left, but I couldnt find anyone who had actually used it to get a first hand review.

One question I had was - Is the TV that the box is set up on dead to anyone in the house? What I mean is if we were to set this up on a television in my parents house, would they be able to still use that television, or is it strictly under our control?

Another Question is - Could I link the laptop to a larger screen...i.e. Like one of our televisions in the Sunline so we wouldnt have to watch the smaller laptop screen?

Also, can you watch anything that is on the host TV? For example my parents have a Dish Network, could we flip through the channels from the dish, or just the basic channels?

And lastly, how does it work with a slow signal? Sometimes we're out in the middle of nowhere, and our signal strength even with the Wilson Amp is still very slow. Would this effect the program we would be watching? Sort of like trying to watch a video on You Tube where it will buffer for quite sometime before you're able to watch the entire thing? This would be frustrating for me if that was the case.

Thanks for the update, and it would be something I would be really interested in if it worked properly with our somwhat spotty signal.

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #3

SUN #225
Mark
One question I had was - Is the TV that the box is set up on dead to anyone in the house? What I mean is if we were to set this up on a television in my parents house, would they be able to still use that television, or is it strictly under our control?

The answer is you both have control....so if you learn to share....or like the same programs....
If there is a less used tuner in their house it would be a better setup.

Another Question is - Could I link the laptop to a larger screen...i.e. Like one of our televisions in the Sunline so we wouldn't have to watch the smaller laptop screen?

This is more a factor of your laptop. I was lucky enough to get a LCD TV for Christmas and I used a cable from laptop to display my digital pictures on the TV, and it was awesome. Like most things in life all you need is the right cable

Also, can you watch anything that is on the host TV? For example my parents have a Dish Network, could we flip through the channels from the dish, or just the basic channels?

Sling Media makes a range of boxes to suit your needs, but think of it this way: There will be a video out from the satellite tuner box (in this case) so all signals can be seen.

You set your Sling software to the make and model of the hardware it is connected to and with IR blasters, you can go anything they can with the remote.

And lastly, how does it work with a slow signal? Sometimes we're out in the middle of nowhere, and our signal strength even with the Wilson Amp is still very slow.

They have pretty great software which continuously adjusts the video signal quality based on the quality and line speed.

There is no buffer as it is streaming to you, remember you are watching it live, not "downloading" a file. I can't tell you about the speed effect for you as you have to be test.

They have some nice Forums on the Internet, where you might get more experts: http://www.slingcommunity.com/forums.

If there is a way for you download the viewer software, it should be possible for me to give you the "key" to my setup, and you could test the connection watching "my" TV?

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:45 AM   #4

SUN #115
emam
Thanks for all the info Mark. I think this is something Cindy and I might try. I'm going to do some more research like you suggested, and I'll let you know as I'm sure we'll have many questions

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote