Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #1

SUN #61
hoffmavl
Slide room

On my T-276 SR SOLARIS when the slide is open why does the bottom come out further then the top when it’s fully open? I noticed on all the other RV manufactures when the slide is open it plum and level? Or is mine out of alignment
Vaughn

Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #2

SUN #62
rich2500
your slide is fine that's just how they are designed,exactly why they are designed like so I'm really not sure

01 F-250 V-10 4x4 Lariat supercab SB auto 4:30 LS
draw-tite 1200# trunnion wd,friction sway control,prodigy
happy camping Rich,Maryellen,Josh and Jake
https://www.campingpa.com/
rich2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Slide room

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmavl
... when the slide is open why does the bottom come out further then the top when it’s fully open?
Hi Vaughn

Good question, wish I had an answer for you, but I'm sure someone here will know the real reason.

I can only guess that maybe it's because of the Sunline slide rooms are a floor level slide (is that what there called?). What I'm guessing is that the bottom comes out a little more to align the floor of the slide room with the floor of the trailer. But as I said it's only a guess.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hoffmavl

Maybe some of this will help

My T310SR is my first slide camper. So I am continually researching and trying to learn everything I can about the slide mechanism and system all the time. Once I figure everything about it out, maybe I will stop wondering so much and leave it alone....

My camper does as you describe. Here are some pictures in the progression of closing and what makes it do this. I do not know all the “why’s” yet, but I’m getting closer.

Here is full open. The bottom is extends almost 2” more then the top if you put a tape measure on the top and bottom area. Inside the sealing lip is perfectly parallel to the inside of the camper. They install the window so it is plumb when the slide is out.

The next pics are stages of the slide retracting

And here you can see the top touching first

And now fully closed.

The slice mechanism is mounted under the TT on an angle so the slide travels on that angle as it opens/closes.
You can see here the slide rails come out of the all most middle of the frame.

The other end on the door side, it almost is at the top of the frame so it is mounted on and angle on purpose.
This pic is NOT a Sunline it is an Aritic Fox we looked at. Allmost had this one if we did not find the T310SR beauty. It is setup about the same. Here can see slide rail at the top of the frame

And here on the same Artic Fox the rail is coming out all most the center of the frame just like our Sunline

And here is there slide fully out.

We have a table and chairs setup. See here

The table goes down hill with the slide floor. I thought the camper had tipped due to the slide being out. But I put a level on the main camper floor and it was dead level. Just the slide goes down hill.

So yes they are built this way. I will make a slide on/off wood adapter to go on the outside wall table foot to level it out as it sort of bugs me being that far out of level. We do not notice it on the couch, but do on the table.

I have not figured out “why” this is done this way “yet” but it is on purpose.

The only thing I can think of is it is to clear the carpet when the unit retracts. I'm sure there are other reasons why but this is one of the benifits. I can tell the mechanical action, lifts first then retracts high up off the carpet when the slide comes in. I feels this lifting action is a good thing. Other lower end brands sort of slide across the carpet and do not lift up. They however are more level when extended like you have seen.

Artic Fox is a high end camper. So both Artic Fox and Sunline employ the same slide concepts.

Hope this helps some. What you have sounds like what I have and it is setup right. Just do not know exactly why.

John

PS. What year is your camper and does it have transit bars to prop the top of the slide rigid when traveling?

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:22 AM   #5

SUN #492
GhettoMedic
Quote:
The only thing I can think of is it is to clear the carpet when the unit retracts.
This is one of my thoughts as well as maybe a weight reason, ie: slight angle supports weight better than a flat one
https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...9/mycamper.jpg
GhettoMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #6

SUN #61
hoffmavl
John,
1st your pic aren't coming through and I have a 06 T-276SR.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #7

SUN #89
Quote:
John,
1st your pic aren't coming through and I have a 06 T-276SR.
Vaughn

H'mm, pic's not showing up. Well I had one pic that was oversize and maybe even monster file size that snuck in there on me. Sorry, I generally watch for that. I went back and toned it down and back to 640 wide/ 50K range. I do not know if this had anything to do with it or not.

Question: Do you see my signature pic's? They are from the same server. If you cannot even see my sig file it could be a preferences setting on your end.

Are you on a high speed modem connection? I know some times on dial up, pic's take a long time to load so you can be sitting on a post wondering where are the pic’s and then 30 to 40 seconds later the pic's show up.

Let me know. So far I have not heard of any one having issues seeing my pic's and trying to rectify as they really help.

John

Old 02-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #8

SUN #382
Mooney
We really paid attention to this today at the New England show- it seems that pretty much EVERY mfg. out there has designed the slides this way.

As my brother stated, I think it's a function of the rails holding the weight better at a slight angle than sticking straight out and bending the frame off vertical.
'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #9

SUN #61
hoffmavl
John,
The pic's came through from my home and work pc, it must be the governments pc’s that has the pic's locked out, see I'm in the Nat. Guard on the side, and this past weekend I was doing my training. I read and understand the theory behind this now make sense. I also noticed you have the setup that I'm going to do, remove my dining table and half of the booth and jack knife sofa, and replace w/ a free standing table and 2 chairs and a new sofa air mattress bed, as soon as the weather gets warmer. Do you see any problem in doing that?

Vaughn
Old 02-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #10

SUN #98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB
The only thing I can think of is it is to clear the carpet when the unit retracts.
This makes a lot of sense.

I just saw in this month's issue of Trailer Life a write-up on a Slide-Out Slicker to protect the carpet/floor from slide-out extending / retracting.
It's made by Lippert and looks like this:

In 2 seasons of using our slide out I haven't noticed any wear or dirt from the slide out. I'm wondering if Sunline did something to help elevate this?
Or I'm wondering if I should invest in a set of these?

Hutch
Old 02-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #11

SUN #61
hoffmavl
My option it’s a waste of money
Old 02-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #12

SUN #105
mbart5fan
Vaughn,

The government PC's block a lot of things. On mine at work I can't view any picture stored on Photobucket, so have to look when I get home if I want to see the photos. Other sites I can't get on are Ebay, Dickssportinggoods and AceHardware . At least I can still read the Sunline Club forum. And the slide on my '07 289SR works the same as yours, and no transit bars like JohnB's.

Mike
Old 02-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #13

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHutch
Quote:
This makes a lot of sense.

I just saw in this month's issue of Trailer Life a write-up on a Slide-Out Slicker to protect the carpet/floor from slide-out extending / retracting.
It's made by Lippert and looks like this:

In 2 seasons of using our slide out I haven't noticed any wear or dirt from the slide out. I'm wondering if Sunline did something to help elevate this?
Or I'm wondering if I should invest in a set of these?

Hutch
Hutch

H'mm. Boy I'm going to have to look again this weekend. But I "pretty sure" mine has many inches of room under the slide when it comes in. At least 1 to 2" out by the carpet end. It is really up there. I do not know how the slicker would work. It would never touch anything???

I'll check and report back complete with pic's. Maybe mine is made different. But in a good way. Heck I'll deal with the transit bars if it saves the carpet.

I fact I'm Leary of stepping on it, it is so high up to sneak around to get to the fridge. I was going to put a 2 x 4 under it so it would not flex. It's that high up.

Is yours that high up when in?

The plot thickens....

John

Old 02-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #14

SUN #89
Quote:
snip...

I also noticed you have the setup that I'm going to do, remove my dining table and half of the booth and jack knife sofa, and replace w/ a free standing table and 2 chairs and a new sofa air mattress bed, as soon as the weather gets warmer. Do you see any problem in doing that?

Vaughn
Vaughn

Do you have a pic of the inside of yours? I do not know of any problem taking the dinette out.

The couch, yes I have seen the new air bed ones. But they are short, or at least the one I saw when we where looking at a new camper. They may have longer ones. My feet would hang off a good foot. I’m a 6 foot long guy.

Here are some pic’s of it. This TT also had table and chairs, which yours may look like this when you get done.... The air bed/sofa was free standing. You could pick it up and move it. Basically the slide was just big open carpeted slide that you stuck a couch and table and chairs in.

Then it folds out stage 1

Then folds down

The lays flat and has an on board air pump even.

Was this what you where referring to?

I’ll have to dig for the brand sofa bed if you need it.

John

Old 02-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #15

SUN #61
hoffmavl
John,

Here is one view

and the other side, I'm only removing the one bench between the sofa and table and replacing w/ a free standing table and 2 chairs and the sofa bed like the one in the picture you posted which is manufactured by Flair Interiors from Indiana.

Available in 74" wide or 65" wide the 74" wide version has a 60" drawer and a queen size mattress. The 65" wide version has a 54" drawer and full size mattress. Both are 80" deep when in the bed position. This gives me just enough room to walk around when I need to.

The list is $800 and shipping to Allentown Pa. is $175

But I look at it this way it’s cheaper to do the upgrade my self then replace the trailer with a new one and be deeper in debt.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #16

SUN #98
Quote:
Is yours that high up when in?
John,

I'll have to check. I know the floor of our slide is raised when retracted, but I've never looked under it to see how much. You’ve got me curious now too. I’ll have to check next time I’m up at the trailer.

FYI - We have on occasion, such as when we’re on the road and stoped for lunch, used the dinette in the slide without opening up the slide. From what I remember it was sturdy and I don't remember feeling any flex or movement in the slide.

Quote:
My option it’s a waste of money
Vaughn

I agree with you. Too much $$, plus there doesn’t seem to be a need for the Slide-Out Slickers on our Sunlines.

Hutch
Old 02-13-2008, 07:58 AM   #17

SUN #98
Vaughn

Are there any additional supports or braces under your jack-knife couch?

I know under ours there are extra wood support (covered in carpet) on the sides and one running the length of the couch, which is like a 2x3 mounted on its side, covered with carpet.

If you have these, will the sofa bed from Flair Interiors have the clearance to fit in over the length-wise brace and in-between the side braces?
Or is it your plan to remove these braces – if you have them?

We were also considering replacing our jack-knife couch with a sofa sleeper. When were considering this, I was looking at the braces underneath our jack-knife trying to figure out what to do with them and the other was to insure I could get the new sofa sleeper in through the door. Before I could answer my questions or come up with a plan, we put the idea of purchasing a sofa-sleeper on hold.

I'm very curious on how you do it, in case we decide to do the same thing in the future. So when you do the mod, please take and post pictures.

Thanks
Hutch
Old 02-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #18

SUN #61
hoffmavl
Hutch,
I'm aware of the braces under the sofa, all that extra stuff will be removed plus the booth, then I'll figure whether to buy the 74"or 65" sofa. Looks like the 74 will fit nicely because the booth is much wider then a chair, plus when the chair is not being used it will be place under the table just like at home. I’ll post the pic when I start this demo

Vaughn
Old 02-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #19

SUN #89
Vaughn

WOW that is one beautiful camper inside you have. Thanks for sharing. It also looks like you have less carpet then I do. I have a lot more past the slide piece of carpet.

And thanks for the bed manufacture. I’ll have to look them up. As we may some day do what you are talking about.

This weekend I will be working in the camper and will take some more pics that may help on the slide lifting up and clearing the rug. Been traveling for work.

Since you are going for table and chairs here is what we do for transport.

John

Old 02-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #20

SUN #89
Vaughn and others.

To help the discussion, I took some pic’s of my slide on the inside this weekend. Never realized what I’m about to post, so this is a learning for me too on my quest to learn all about my slide system operation. I also learned a few things to look out for on slides and inside carpet.

First is, I cannot figure out how the Slide Slicker would do much good given the way mine actually works. And a realization of the bottom surface of the slide needs to be kept somewhat clean before I retract the slide. Under normal conditions this has not been a problem, but given a real high windy and wet day, I might want to check the slide bottom outside before retracting.

OK lets talks pic’s first. Then yak more after.

First is a view looking to the front of the TT to put us in perspective. We are going to look under the rug at the TT front end next.

Now looking at the rug on the floor. It is 4” up from the tile.

And a view to the slide side of the camper.

And looking down to the back under the rug. While you see clearance at the end, way up under it, the slide bottom get’s closer to the carpet. That black plastic covering is the same cover we see outside under the slide.

Now a view looking to the TT rear. Don’t mind the mess. Was doing work inside and stuff got ruffled.

Also see the plastic mat on the floor by the couch end where the counter sticks out. We step on that when the slide is in to not dirty up the carpet when loading the camper. The slide bottom is a little soggy right at that spot. I may put a support under the slide in that araa for when in storage if I can create one to not harm the black plastic under the slide bottom.

Here is under the rug in the middle. It is closer in the middle to the rug then the ends. The floor sags a little.

And here is the TT rear area down at the base.

And the metal plate that guides the slide up when it first comes in. Also that pocket that is formed in the metal allows the slide to drop in place when it is fully extended. The floor then levels out inside at the joint of the slide to the camper.

And here is under the end carpet. On the ends I have a lot of clearance when fully in.

Now lets put the slide out and see what changes. See here the angle of the bathroom wall to the angle of the slide. The slide is pulled in on a large angle to lift it off the carpet.

Now look at that same angle after 1 inch of slide extension. It drops quick to being more parallel to the bath wall and continues this way for most of the slide extension outward travel. The black plastic bottom is now a lot closer to the carpet. May even touch in the middle area. I forgot to look.

Now we are almost all the way out and the top of the slide touches the wall.

And with the top touching, the bottom is still 3 1 /2” still yet to go. That is how big of and angle it was at while traveling out.

Now the last movement closes the bottom and the slide drops down into the metal plate area all at the same time. My slide has traveled a total of 35 1 /2” when it extends.

So what did I learn today:

1. The angle and lifting action is intentional and it gets the bottom of the slide up off the carpet the way mine is built.

2. I now understand the mechanical lift and travel motions inside that match up with what I see outside.

3. I “think” a lot of this angled slide design is to keep most of the slide up off the carpet and not drag it. I cannot see the sldie bottom cutting the carpet like shown in the Slide Slicker advertizing.

4. What ever is on the bottom black plastic surface of the slide when outside, will come inside and all over my carpet. So bend down and look up before retracting. It is easier to wipe off outside….

5. I’m sure glad Sunline did what they did when they made this slide this way. The other brands that come in more straight, it must be a real problem over time as the carpet becomes a slide bearing.

Hope this helps. Thought I would pass along what I learned yesterday.

John