Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #1

SUN #9829
kloiey is an unknown quantity at this point
Should I buy it?

Hi, thanks for accepting me in your group. We are VERY interested in a 1994 sunline 18 foot T1740. It is in pristine condition. New tires, awning, black water tank, an installed solar panel, never a leak nor mice. They've really take such good care of this camper. It's so clean and nice inside. Way nicer than some of the newer used campers I've looked at. They never cook inside nor do they use the water. They just keep the antifreeze inside the pipes (we live in Quebec).

They want $6000 Canadian which seems like a lot to me given that it's almost 24 years old. What do you guys think as owners of sunline? Is it worth it? A good brand? I don't want to lowball this nice older lady but I don't want to overpay either. Help! TIA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3520.jpg (45.3 KB, 13 views)

Old 09-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #2

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
With the exchange rate, $6000 Canadian would be about $4835 USD, which some here at SOC would say is a little steep for a 1994 Sunline. Maybe $3500-4000 USD, which would be $4350-4950 CD.

That being said, you don't find Sunlines of that age in great condition much anymore but be sure that it has no leaks/water damage. Get a moisture meter, press on all the walls, smell for mold-mildew, look everywhere you can... if you pay top dollar you don't want to have to shell out more b/c of water damage. (From the pix, it looks nice.)

When we were looking for our Sunline, one of the SOC members told us "Bottom line is what it's worth to you!" We paid a little more than what we wanted for our 2363 but it's in great shape so it's been worth every penny!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi kloiey,

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club! We hope your quest to find the perfect Sunline for you is a good one.

I echo what Wannabe's has stated.

I'll add, the Sunline brand is a good one. They are better then most and still better then many new campers built today!! That said, what the prior owner has done for it and how they kept it can be the difference between a great buy and one that will require a fair amount of work to correct.

If there are new tires, a new awning and a working solar panel, those items are of higher value can allow extra cost that is not normally reflected in the used camper prices. They themselves can be over $1,000 US. The solar is a bonus and new tires and an awning are common maintenance items.

It sounds like the prior owners have kept good care of the unit. But, they may or may not know the in depth way a water infection can happen. Just because they have not "seen" leaks in the camper does not mean one is not present in the walls, ceiling or floor. Hidden water damage will be your biggest concern as it can take a fair amount of labor to correct.

I "think" your 94 camper has a rubber roof. I cannot recall the change over date on the size of campers when they did the total conversion from metal to rubber. SunlineFan told us earlier this year, but I can't find his response right now.

You can tell a lot about leaks and care for a camper from the roof. The prior owner may have done everything right for the roof, or not as they may not have known what to do. This is an area to check out. Here are a few posts which can help explain and show what your looking for.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...per-17613.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...1-a-11508.html This post also has a link to a 2004 T-1950 which had no care done on the roof.

The moisture meter is a valuable tool when looking at a used camper and recommend you get one if your looking at a used camper. It can see things the prior owner may have never known. You can inspect the camper for a water infection that is trapped in a wall, ceiling, floor etc. By inspecting the inside, you can see into the walls, floors and ceiling for trapped moisture.

On the outside, you need to get a step ladder and from the outside perimeter only, (do not climb on the roof) look at the roof and all the sealants. If the roof is metal, it still has roof sealants that can breakdown. If the roof is a rubber roof, the sealants are the number 1 weak spot that leaks start in if the prior owner never knew about the routine roof inspections which needed to be done. If they never washed the roof very much, this is a concern as the dirt/mold and then lack of sealant maintenance will create leaks.

All this does not mean do not buy this camper if you find a leak area, but it will mean, do you have the ability to repair it yourself? If you have wood tools and the place/time to do the work yourself, all things in a Sunline are repairable. The materials are not that expensive, however hiring out the labor to do so, is. In most cases, hiring out rot repair for a large repair quickly becomes cost prohibitive at standard shop rates of $100 to $125/hr.

If you really like this camper, and the moisture meter turns up an infected area, get some pictures of the area with the problem and about how large the area is. Post them and we can help explain some of what you will be up against. Again the owner may have no knowledge they even have a water infection, but showing them the area may help you lower the price if you really want this camper and can do the repair yourself.

Hope this helps and good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:12 PM   #4

SUN #9829
kloiey is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for your helpful comments! We bought the trailer for $5000 including all the extras (hitch, bike rack, BBQ and tons of other stuff). We got a moisture meter and all the walls, floor and ceiling were clear of moisture except two one inch areas both with screws on the exterior wall. We are going to recaulk everything and reseal the joints. They really did take such amazing care. The woman we bought it from was visibly upset to see it go but said that it makes her happy that we've given her trailer a second lease on life with our young family. ❤️ We are super excited to start camping in our new sunline!

Thank you again to both responses that provided advice.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:02 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
YEH!!!! Glad it worked out for you.

Happy camping. We are here is you need help

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #6

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats on the new-to-you Sunline and welcome!!

I believe yours has an aluminum roof, 22' and shorter trailers until 1996 I believe had aluminum still. My '94 2251 had that. It uses a little different sealant for the roof seams compared to a rubber roof, but that's still readily available. Mobile Home roof sealant/paint is basically the same thing you'd use on an RV aluminum roof (just not rubber).

Let us know if you have any questions once you get to know it!

You should also look into having the bearings repacked on it if you don't know the history of that service. Just like tires, it's cheap insurance to have them in tip top shape to avoid a failure on the road, which can damage more of the trailer and parts that aren't easily replaced.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1994, t1740