Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #1

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Shop Light Advice

You all have such good ideas, I thought I'd ask here.

Too many years of dealing with crummy florescent lights in the garage over Tom's work bench. Many issues and we're ready for some new and efficient lighting. We need bright light to focus on the work bench, low cost to operate and must be OK with cold temps. as there is no heat in the garage.

Any good ideas? What you have and perhaps where you purchased?

THANKS !

2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
T5 florescent fixtures.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post

Too many years of dealing with crummy florescent lights in the garage over Tom's work bench. Many issues and we're ready for some new and efficient lighting. We need bright light to focus on the work bench, low cost to operate and must be OK with cold temps. as there is no heat in the garage.

Any good ideas? What you have and perhaps where you purchased?
By the sounds of your post, Tom had T12 fixtures and maybe even no reflector behind it. Just bare bulbs.

While T12 is still available, don't know for how much longer. T8 and T5 are the newer more efficient fixtures with T5 being more than T8.

I just went through this earlier this year what to do with shop lighting. And what lighting density to use per square foot. I wanted to be able to see good for night work, but not be blinded or be struggling to see. And be able to afford the lighting on the budget I had to work with.

What I ideally wanted was 4 foot bulbs in an 8 foot fixture with a reflective shield.( total of 4 bulbs/fixture) The 4 foot need was how to get the bulbs home down the road. Much easier getting 4 ft home then 8 foot and not breaking them.

After much searching, and cost figuring to do the entire barn, I ended up with 6 bulb, 4 foot T8's and spaced them differently to get my desired lighting density. These are hi bay fixtures with a shield that will direct the light downwards. They also make the shield versions to reflect some light partly up too if you want the cieling lit up. I have them at 10.5 feet up and 15.5 feet up. I was concerned they might be too bright at the 10.5 feet, but they came out very well. The hi bay came out very good too.

Here is a pic

Bought them at Menards, $79.96 each. Plus cost of the bulbs to go in them. I bought the bulbs by the case to get them cheaper. Home Depot has them too. They are even on sale now for $11 off regular price.
http://www.menards.com/main/lighting...092-c-7494.htm

Here is Cooper's site with data on them. They are rated to start at -20F
F-Bay HBE Series

They also make them in T5's. In my case T5's where 2.5 times more expensive, saves more energy however I needed 19 fixtures. I put them on switch banks so if I need all of them on, I can or only use 1/5th of them as needed.

If you are only looking for 1 fixture above a work bench, then spring for the T5's. Just make sure you get a good reflector regardless of 2 bulbs 4 or 6. In the work shop I also installed the plastic sleeves over the bulbs for burst protection. A board flying out of the radial arm saw or a 2 x 4 x 10 swigging around can make a mess of an unprotected fluorescent fixture. The sleeve at least helps contain the mess.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:51 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I have high bay metal halide lamps in the barn they are 400 watt lamps lots of light but they have to be high to do any good. A lot of the grocery stores are now using T5 lamps with chrome plated reflectors more often than not in the produce area (makes the veges look good) you would know right away if you saw them they are a lot brighter than the old T12 or T8 florescent fixtures. The T is 1/8 th” so a T12 would be a bulb that is 12/8” or 1 ½” around so a T5 is a tiny bulb as compared to the old T12’s at 5/8” it really does not make sense that they would be so much brighter but there are several reasons that they are.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #5

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Really good responses, thanks so much. Need to sit Tom down to read through this. As always, appreciate the good advice.

(He's retiring soon so I need the garage to be really up-to-date so he will spend lots of time out there).

Just kidding Hun.
2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
(He's retiring soon so I need the garage to be really up-to-date so he will spend lots of time out there).
That's a good thing! I'm on the same plan....

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote