Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #21

SUN #115
emam
Great topic, and great to hear everyone else's replies.

In two years on the road fulltime, Cindy and I have never had one thing stolen from any place we camped. Granted, we've stayed in a few sketchy areas that we probably shouldnt have, but sometimes when its the middle of the night and you just have to pull over, you have to do what you have to do.

Now one thing we did right from the start was get a Beware of Dog sticker and post it on the door. When we leave, we always pull down the blinds as to not invite anyone to look into the camper, but for the most part, I'd agree with Norm, I feel much safer in ANY campground than we did in our little town in Michigan.

On one occassion did a campground host come around in Arizona and tell us that they were having problems with a group coming around stealing generators, but the police were notified and doing nightly drive-thrus just to be on the safe side. I guess being right on the outskirts of a major city, and theives knowing that ll these campers had $1000 gen-sets sitting by their campers at night was easy pickin'.

Funny part was they ended up catching the crack heads who came back a few months later trying to re-sell the generators to the very same people they stole them from....LOL Idiots!

As for leaving the bins locked, like another camper told me one time when I asked if I could borrow a certian tool he had, "Just go grab it out of my storage bin, they're always unlocked. I figure it'll cost me less to replace anything that's in there than it will to replace the storage bin door if someone really wants to get in."

After that, and thinking that Sunline is out of business, I've always left them unlocked. Besides, Locks only keep out the honest people. A theif will get in no matter what you do to prevent it.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #22

SUN #115
emam
Oops!

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 11-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #23

SUN #44
SanDimasJoe
Security

Just a note of interest here. The storage bins in most trailers can be unlocked with anyones keys. These are generic keys. My brother in law has a Sunnybrook and I unlocked his storage bins with my key and he also was able to unlock mine. Like it was said, "the locks are there to keep the honest people honest". If someone really wants something in my bins, he's going to get at it somehow.

Joe
SanDimasJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #24

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Re: Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDimasJoe
Just a note of interest here. The storage bins in most trailers can be unlocked with anyones keys. These are generic keys. My brother in law has a Sunnybrook and I unlocked his storage bins with my key and he also was able to unlock mine. Like it was said, "the locks are there to keep the honest people honest". If someone really wants something in my bins, he's going to get at it somehow.

Joe
Joe

Yup Key CH751 is popular and fits most brand TT's cargo holes.

If you loose your key, just go ask your neighbor....

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:24 AM   #25

SUN #1632
WandaLust is an unknown quantity at this point
The only thing of any value we would have in our RV is the laptop and the flatscreen TV. I doubt there'd be anything else anyone would want to steal. We don't bring expensive clothing with us, or jewelry. I think my fear is more of someone breaking in at night when we're there. TT door locks are quite flimsy. Is anyone beefing them up? Nothing of value would be in the storage areas so if someone wants to steal a $2 weaner fork or $5 grill from the Dollar Store, they're welcome to it.

I remember some CGs in the past that made me uncomfortable. No one around the bathrooms. Few campers. No one or few people on the trails. This was mainly in the off season on the east coast - early spring and late fall.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #26

SUN #115
emam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda~Lust
I remember some CGs in the past that made me uncomfortable. No one around the bathrooms. Few campers. No one or few people on the trails. This was mainly in the off season on the east coast - early spring and late fall.
Something tells me you've been watching a few too many scary movies

For us, those are the type of campgrounds we like to find. The ones where we might be the only campers, or the type of campgrounds that are so out in the boonies, no other campers could get there. This is why we had out Sunline lifted and tow with a fourwheel drive truck.

Camped out in the desert in Nevada/Arizona border. No one around for hours!

You have to remember that when your object of camping is also to immerce yourself into nature, our Sunline is really only a rolling tent that carries our camera gear. Much like when we both tent camped, we hiked for miles on desserted trails to find some secluded campsite that we could pitch our tent and photograph nature.

Thinking that because you're the only one out there is creepy is the complete opposite for us. Being the only one out there is our reason for camping

Finding a secluded campsite in Arkansas. Another reason for a Liftkit

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 11-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #27

SUN #723
PITBOX
Interesting thread! While camping at at the Dover Downs racetrack this past June for a NASCAR event,several people had their rigs broken into while attending the main race on Sunday,including us. Iwill never go to Dover again because of this.However,we camp at Loudon,New Hampshire every September for a week at a stretch for the fall NASCAR race for 8 years,and have never had a problem. We camped at Lowes Motor Speedway last fall,and man was that some southern hospitality!! I guess it just depends on where and who you camp with
Old 11-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #28

SUN #1632
Quote:
Originally Posted by emam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda~Lust
Something tells me you've been watching a few too many scary movies
===================================

Too much TruTV. I camped in some really deserted areas out west in the 1970s and felt safer there for some reason than in Eastern CGs with only a few people around. My only fear in some of the isolated areas we camped in in AZ, Utah and other states was something happening to our Van. A dead battery or major engine or tranny problem far from a main road. Or getting hopelessly lost in the desert. No cell-phones or GPS units in those days.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:10 AM   #29

SUN #287
nickster60
When we travel I always have a handgun. I have a permit and it is just a habit to take it where I go. In Florida you really never know what you are going to run in to. There are lots of folks from god knows where, especially in the winter. A few years back in the Ocala National Forrest there where some whack jobs from Ohio who came down for the winter. They ended up killing a stranger and 2 of there own family. The father was a loon all of his grandchildren where actual his children with his own daughters. After that I always have a gun in the camper.
We also stop at the Flying J truck stops on longer trips they have nice RV parking area Never had a problem but you never really know.
nickster60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:02 PM   #30

SUN #115
emam
Not to sound crass or rude, but the average group of campers/RVer's you're going to encounter at a NASCAR event, arent the same type of RVer's you're going to encounter at the typical campground.

Not that they might not be the same campers you see at the typcial campground on vacation, but I know Cindy and I have been to many NASCAR events, and the amount of alcohol, crazyness and wild partying going on has yet to be found at any campground we've ever stayed in any other place

As for carrying a gun, I have a permit to carry, and always have a few with us, but it all depends on where we're camped as to what I keep beside the bed at night. If we're in a truck stop and have rigs lined on each side of us, then I lock the gun up in its safe and have a big bottle of Bear Spray that we had to buy while on a different trip Out West.

If it's just the two of us in the boonies, then yeah, I have my Glock beside the pillow just for added security. Everyone can tell you some creepy story about some whack-job killer on the loose, but odds of running into one is pretty slim.

But if that time ever arises, he/she will have to answer to a full magazine from a expert shot.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 11-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #31

SUN #128
Tweety
You guys are giving me the creeps.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:15 AM   #32

SUN #1632
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster60
When we travel I always have a handgun. I have a permit and it is just a habit to take it where I go. In Florida you really never know what you are going to run in to. There are lots of folks from god knows where, especially in the winter. A few years back in the Ocala National Forrest there where some whack jobs from Ohio who came down for the winter. They ended up killing a stranger and 2 of there own family. The father was a loon all of his grandchildren where actual his children with his own daughters. After that I always have a gun in the camper.
We also stop at the Flying J truck stops on longer trips they have nice RV parking area Never had a problem but you never really know.
================================

The Flying Js I saw also looked safe. There were always more than a few campers parked together near the building and vehicles coming and going. Truckers walking around. Good lighting. I wouldn't be afraid there. Remember that Wally World camper who shot, and I think killed someone breaking into his camper about 2 yrs ago? It was all over another Forum I was on at that time. This happened right in a WM parking lot! The thieves probably didn't know people were sleeping inside.

That family you mention sounds like homicidal inbred dysfunctional imbeciles. Ugh!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #33

SUN #132
Makers Mark
No gun...... No dog.....Have attack wife!!!

(can ya tell DW's been too busy to read the forum?)
2015 Rockwood 2608WS (SOB)
SUN # 132
Makers Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #34

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makers Mark

(can ya tell DW's been too busy to read the forum?)

Just wait she'll catch up on the reading!!!!!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #35

SUN #115
emam
We were staying in a Flying J one night and Cindy was going to catch up on the laundry. (Love that they also have laundry for the truckers at the Flying J's)

She had walked in to see what the price was and see if there were any open washers and saw a sticker on the door that said "No Lot Lizards!"

She asked me what a Lot Lizard was and I told her it means that they dont want prostitues roaming around the truck stop to solicit the truckers.

This freaked her out and now meant that I had to do the laundry as she didnt want to be wandering around the truck stop while the laundry was washing and have anyone think she was a Working Girl

I got a good laugh out of this and called her my Little Lot Lizard for the next few days till it got old and I was threatened to be cut off from enjoying the rest of the adventure...LOL

I should mention that this was a Flying J on the outskirts of a big city, so one of the truckers told me when the city streets arent selling, the working girls come out to the truck stops to troll. Never saw it anywhere else the whole trip.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 11-30-2008, 06:43 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
John,
Working girls are common at most truck stops. When you pass a truck on the road take a look at the drivers side window/door area. Many truckers have a little sticker that has a picture of a lizzard with a slash through it. Most of the time the working girls walk through the parking lot knocking on the truckers doors, this is to let them know not to bother knocking on the door. My Dad has been a trucker for a long time, so I've heard some weird stories over the years.

2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote