Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-15-2008, 06:40 AM   #1

SUN #501
grannytosix
Roof questions

Hi, I have a solaris 1995 and it is my first year camping in it. So far with all the help from this group my experience is working out great. Now it is time to check the top of the trailer to see if there are any potential problems lurking up there. I have not had any leaks so far but last weekend I noticed that at the back near the bathroom vent the roof seems to be raised in a hump...water problems???
Can I crawl across the roof without falling through? What should I be looking for? Suggestions for repairs??? Better left for an expert than a grandma???
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sharon

Old 07-16-2008, 06:11 AM   #2

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Somewhere I read (it may have been here) that it is advised to lay down a piece of plywood that spans a couple of roof joists and sit on it and not directly on the rubber roof. I've used this method myself. 36" square would be more than adequate.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:55 AM   #3

SUN #520
kathyh
We recommend putting a drop cloth or old blanket between the plywood and rubber roof.

KathyH

2007 Sunline T2499 4" lift w/03
2011 Chevy Avalanche
1988 Sunline 1850 Satellite
Rob and Kathy H
kathyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:31 AM   #4

SUN #128
Tweety
Sharon, You say the probable leak is by the roof vent in your bathroom. While you're up on the roof check the sealer around the roof vent. If it hasn't been kept up with it can crack and let rain water in.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #5

SUN #501
grannytosix
Roof problems

Thanks for the info!
If the roof has leaked (but I have not seen any water damage inside) is it okay to seal around the bathroom vent right away. I am assuming the hump I saw near the vent is wet material expanding. Will the wet inside dry out on its own even if it has been sealed or am I sealing in the wetness? What am I looking for as a sealer, just the same stuff you use around your house windows?
Going to have to buy a ladder to get up there and I don't like heights! Good idea about the plywood...would 1/4 in plywood be good enough as I can't see myself getting the wood and me up the ladder in one piece.
Wondering if it would be worth it to call the trailer people in, did see a company that comes to the campsite???
Sharon
Old 07-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #6

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have a rubber roof, use Dicor Lap Sealant for Rubber Roofs - self leveling. Available at any RV dealer.

There are a couple of discussion threads about maintaining rubber roofs and repairing leaks. It's worth a search to read them over carefully.

You're better off with a piece of 3/8" plywood laid down over an old blanket or something to prevent any edges or splinters from digging into the rubber membrane. 1/4" is too thin and can be too easily broken through.

You could stand on the upper part of the ladder and have someone hand the piece of plywood to you so you don't have to climb the ladder holding the wood.

It is possible that there could be a small "hump" in just the membrane where it is not glued solidly to the backer. There may not be a leak at all there, just a little bubble of air under the membrane. If the bubble is small (couple of inches) and doesn't leak or grow over time, best to leave it alone, but keep an eye on it from time to time. If it grows, get someone who knows how to repair rubber RV roofs to take a look at it.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #7

SUN #630
westernmassachusetts
hump in the membrane

i also have a hump in the membrane in the same spot. (back corner near the bathroom vent) but since there are no leaks, i am not worried about it. if i should be worried (i just bought this 1998 saturn last month), please let me know. thanks.
tony
p.s.
this a great site with a lot of knowledge!