Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-19-2021, 01:50 PM   #1

SUN #10475
Dwntwn is an unknown quantity at this point
Roof Air

I have a 2006 Sunline T299SR Solaris and the roof air conditioner is kicking in and out,what would cause that to happen?

Old 07-19-2021, 03:57 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi,

When you say kicking in and out, do you mean only the compressor or the entire fan and compressor kicks on and off constantly?

Trying to better understand as it sort of means two different causes pending if it is compressor only or the entire AC unit goes on and off.

Is the unit on Hi or Lo?

Are you still on the original Dometic thermostat or have you upgraded to a digital thermostat, and if so what brand and model?

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:17 PM   #3

SUN #10475
Hello John,the unit with the fan on auto will click on and off,both fan and compressor,with the the on the set to on it will stay on,the thermostat is newer and has a heat strip as well. I turned it all way down to 40 degrees and it would come on but then turn on and off.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #4

SUN #89
H’mm.

First off, need to confirm you still have the original 2006 roof unit and the analog control box up in the ceiling above the white grate. If this is a yes, then

The problem points to the analog control box is getting an AC run signal from the T stat. Or the wire from the T sat up to the analog control box is skinned and wiggling on and off. A mouse chew event?

I would first start at the T sat. It may have an issue or a loose connection.

What brand and model is the new T sat?

To test if it is the T stat is the issue, you can jump the ac run signal at the T stat terminal block. It should run non stop. Not knowing what you have, I can’t confirmed which 2 wires to jump. Got any pics of the t sat terminal strip?

Old 07-19-2021, 05:14 PM   #5

SUN #10475
The trailer is at my property up north so I’m back home now 250 miles away, I’ll make sure I get more details next time I get back up there, thanks for your help, I’ll let you know later when I take some pictures..
Old 07-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #6

SUN #89
This may help,

Here is the original Dometic T stat that would of come in your Sunline

A zoom in so you can see the original wire colors

And here is the original wiring diagram.

Remove your new thermostat from the wall plate so it exposes the terminals. Look at the original wire colors on the cable on the wall on the terminal strip.

If you jumper the yellow (cool) wire to the green (GND) wire coming out of the wall, and the 12 volts DC and the 120 VAC are supplied to the camper, the AC unit should start running and not stop until you unhook the jumper. Just jump from your terminals on the new T stat, no need to remove the wires. The fan may be in high or low mode, I can't recall which is the default. I think it is low mode with no contact made on Hi fan terminal (blue) but it should still run to confirm the issue is with the T stat, or elsewhere.

On this older Dometic system the controls are in the sink configuration. Meaning, the controls are looking for a ground potential and not a source, positive potential to trigger the on signal. This means, you jump the control wires to the GND terminal to make them change state.

The newer home T stats upgrades used in the campers, if that is what you are using, use Rc and Rh which on your camper most likely would be jumped together and the green GND wire attached. The yellow cool wire then goes on the cool terminal.

Hope this helps

John

Old 07-19-2021, 05:52 PM   #7

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwntwn View Post
The trailer is at my property up north so I’m back home now 250 miles away, I’ll make sure I get more details next time I get back up there, thanks for your help, I’ll let you know later when I take some pictures..

OK, my last post should help on how to jump start the AC to run all the time. If it does run all the time, then the T stat has some issue.

If the AC is still going on an off with the jumped condition, next is the wire bundle in the wall between the T stat and up in the ceiling going to the analog control box.

That bundle up in the ceiling will look like this. That multi conductor cable from the T stat to the control box is wire nutted to a pigtail of wires coming out of the control box. You can jump the yellow wire there too to test if the cable is goofed in the wall.

AS FYI, the 2 conductor brown cable going to the blue striped wires on the control box are an interlock with the furnace. They should not be part of this problem.

If that the jump direct at the control box still has the on off running, then the problem with the cable ruled out, at least for the moment. Then the AC control board could be going bad. It looks like this inside the control box

Take good pics of what you have and a picture on the label of the control box if that comes to be the issue. This sticker, yours may be a little different number due to the heat strip.

The control board is still available or was in 2019 when I bought one for friends camper I helped him with. We would need your part numbers on the control box to make sure we get the right one.

Hope this helps and let is know how you make out

John

Old 08-07-2021, 05:45 PM   #8

SUN #10475
Roof air

Thanks for the info John,I jumped the cool with the ground and the air came on,like you said it stayed running till I took the jump wire off,does this mean I need a new thermostat,I looked them up but I couldn’t find one with the heat strip written under the furnace..
Old 08-08-2021, 10:22 AM   #9

SUN #10475
Roof air

Here’s a few pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 970FEFA2-686A-4276-B3B2-3E4284B786BC.jpg (60.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 5B5F3EF1-456F-4897-8393-708BEEF502F6.jpg (133.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-08-2021, 07:50 PM   #10

SUN #89
Quote:
Thanks for the info John,I jumped the cool with the ground and the air came on,like you said it stayed running till I took the jump wire off,does this mean I need a new thermostat,I looked them up but I couldn’t find one with the heat strip written under the furnace..
The good news, the AC unit works.

I see there is Honeywell Tstat above the Dometic one. And I do not know how that is tied into the old Dometic one. The issue could be in the Honeywell one, the way the Honeywell is tied in or the Dometic one is bad.

Did you tie in the Honeywell tstat or a prior owner?

Does the furnace work and the heat strip work, just the AC unit had issues?

We have to isolate the problem between the Honeywell and the Domectic to back into which one is giving you the issue.

If you can unhook the Honey well one and only use the Dometic tstat and every thing works then the honey well is having issues. Or the way the two are interconnected

It appears the older Heat strip T stat with the words heat Strip is now obsolete which was; Dometic Analog Thermostat, Cool/Furnace/Heat Strip, PN 3106995.057. They do still sell one with the wording Heat Pump which may work in place of the older heat strip one, but we have to do some digging to tell how it works. It may be a drop in and work or not.

Those older Dometic T stats like you have never really regulated the temperature with much precision. They could be several degrees swing in temp. Some as bad as +/- 4 to 5 deg. I, like many others upgraded to a digital Hunter T stat that needs 2, double A batteries but only cost about $25 to $30 and regulates to within +/- 1 deg F. This is an option for you, but the heat strip issue you would need to create a work around.

If you can take the plate off the Dometic and show the terminal strip and how the Honeywell is tied in, we may be able to help better.

Not sure which way you want to go. This is the heat pump version of the older Dometic, but we have to sort out that the heat pump contact will work worth the heat strip https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-31069.../dp/B00T36VLBO

Hope this helps

John

Old 08-08-2021, 08:04 PM   #11

SUN #10475
Thanks again for your help John,the furnace and heat strip work so it’s probably the T stat, I found this one on Amazon,do you think it would work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D433CE59-4E95-4886-9C79-9F6C313125BB.jpg (34.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-09-2021, 08:01 PM   #12

SUN #89
Quote:
Thanks again for your help John,the furnace and heat strip work so it’s probably the T stat, I found this one on Amazon,do you think it would work?

Hi,

I may not have explained this well enough above sorry, I try again. Since there is the Honeywell T stat being used at the same time as the Dometic T stat trying to control the AC unit, (this is not normal on how to do this) your issue with the AC unit may be a problem with the Honeywell T stat, the way the Honeywell T stat is wired into the system, OR the Dometic T stat.

Just because the heat strip and the furnace works, but the AC unit on cool does not, this does not mean the Dometic T stat has a problem. Actually, since the furnace and heat strip work, and there is an "assumption" they regulate temperature to setpoint and then shut off, (please confirm this) this points more to some type of issue associated with the Honeywell and its relationship to the Dometic and not the Dometic.

Point being, there are 2 issues just buying a new Dometic heat pump option T stat thinking it may solve our issue.

1. Until more troubleshooting is done with the Honeywell T stat to remove it from the system, and to make sure the original wiring is still intact on the Dometic for cooling, buying the new Dometic T stat may not solve your issues. You might get lucky and it does, the little we know about your setup, suggests it may not correct the problem as we do not yet know the problem.

2. There is a level of risk the Dometic analog T stat with the heat pump feature may not work with the heat strip. I would call the risk low, as the analog control box up in the ceiling has all the brains dealing with either a heat strip or a heat pump. The T stat just tells the analog control box to activate the Dometic heating system that it has. To my knowledge, you either have a heat strip or a heat pump, not both. I have never seen or worked on the heat pump option from Dometic. I have on worked on home based heat pumps so I know the basics of what Dometic is doing with theirs. From what I know, the analog control box either turns on the heat strip element OR tells the compressor controls to run in heat mode and switches a reversing valve in the compressor system if you have the heat pump system. The words on the actual T stat, are different to match what you have, but the T stat internals are the same for both.

I am not 100% sure the heat pump T stat will work on a heat strip, but I would say I am, 90% sure. We do have two RV techs here on the forum, they may have run into this before and can confirm or clear up the issue on why the heat pump T stat will not work on a heat strip system if they see this post. They are both great guys willing to help, if they have run into this. I would like to know why it would not work for the future as we do have other members with this heat strip option. To my knowledge, Sunline never installed a heat pump option, it costs more for that feature and on their campers, it did not fit. A big high end 5'er or motor home, yes it can make sense.

Any chance of some pics and the info I asked for in the post above how the Honeywell T stat was wired in? We may be able to see the problem.

Hope this helps.

John

Old 08-10-2021, 05:35 PM   #13

SUN #10475
John,I never use the heat strip but I’m not at my property now ..
Old 08-10-2021, 06:53 PM   #14

SUN #89
OK, When ever you get back to this, let us know.

As an idea, if you never use the heat strip, there are options for a different T stat to replace what you have. You just wire nut off the T stat wire signal. And you can use the standard analog Dometic T stat or a Hunter aftermarket one and replace the entire Honeywell setup totally with +/- 1 deg F regulation control for heat and cooling.