Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-10-2006, 02:13 PM   #1

SUN #44
SanDimasJoe
Road Clearance

Has anyone "flipped" their axles? If so, have you experienced any towing differences? My driveway slopes up from the street and I scrape on the skid bars going in and out of the drive. I've also experienced scraping going in and out of gas stations. Has anyone experienced the same?

Thanks

SanDimasJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:15 PM   #2

SUN #115
emam
We had a Lift kit installed at the factory. They basically just put blocks on the axles like you would in a truck and lifted it 4". So far we've never scraped on any entrances or exits. I even had to turn around on some two track that was pretty rutted up and we had enough ground clearance not to bottom out.

It pulls just fine and the lift makes all the difference

See if your local dealer can do the lift for you or just see if you can fabricate one yourself.

Good luck

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:17 PM   #3

SUN #175
2000T2980
Dragging The Tail

My T2980 had this problem when I first bought it. A hard turn in a Campground damaged one of the skid bars. I also dragged in some stations.

Here is how I resolved my issue. I cut both sets of skid bars off flush with the frame, I then purchased 2 heavy duty Casters that had greese fittings from Lowes. I placed them right in between where the skid bars were attached. The bottom of the caster wheels are higher than the low point on the skid bars by about 2 inches, but they are low enought to protect all water and sewage lines. Since I have done this I only have rubbed one caster on the ground. Its at a weird intersection that is a left turn up hill ramp and the trailer is still on flat ground, I go there once a year. Did this in 2000 when I bought the trailer, Not a problem to date from it rubbing or any issues with the caster or the modification.
Hensley Hitch
Jordan 2020 Brake Controller.
2000T2980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:07 AM   #4

SUN #147
chriseck
A friend a mine who operates a mobile welding biz came to my house where we flipped the axles on our pre sunline, 2001 26ft keystone trailer for the same reasons you all mentioned.This worked well.The entry step needed to have one more step added due to the increased height.Also when we sold the keystone to purchase the sunline I noticed cupping on the edges of several of the Duro tires on the trailer about 5000 miles useage.I always wondered how centered and true we realigned the axle replacement using measurements only and not a jig setup.It did tow fine and gave me peace of mind about not bottoming out anymore.