Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #1

SUN #78
tedontario
Removing vent screen

Howdy folks ;

We were not on here this weekend, we were out camping and enjoying our 2499. While we were camping we noticed a quantity of plant material laying on the screen above the sliding table at the back. We have Max Vent covers over our vents so I am not sure how this ended up in the vent. What I am wondering is how do I remove the screen to clean it. I know I need to remove the crank handle that is used to open the vent but not sure after that. Does the screen just pull off. I do not want to break it, so I have come to the pro's who will tell me the facts.

Part Two Is it possible to remove a screen or filter in the bottom of the freash water tank We have the pump working slow and the water is murky. When I open the drain the water runs out very slow. We did flush it with bleach when preping it for the summer.

Thank you very much for all the help
Ted

Old 06-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #2

SUN #307
purplesuebug
In regards to the screen issue, can you reach it (without getting on the roof) with a shop-vac hose. I usually climb a ladder and suck the stuff out with my shop vac. Just be very careful not to puncture the screen or scratch the roof. Yeah, I attach an extra hose to reach.M&S

purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Removing vent screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedontario
Howdy folks ;

We were not on here this weekend, we were out camping and enjoying our 2499. While we were camping we noticed a quantity of plant material laying on the screen above the sliding table at the back. We have Max Vent covers over our vents so I am not sure how this ended up in the vent. What I am wondering is how do I remove the screen to clean it. I know I need to remove the crank handle that is used to open the vent but not sure after that. Does the screen just pull off. I do not want to break it, so I have come to the pro's who will tell me the facts.

Part Two Is it possible to remove a screen or filter in the bottom of the freash water tank We have the pump working slow and the water is murky. When I open the drain the water runs out very slow. We did flush it with bleach when preping it for the summer.

Thank you very much for all the help
Ted
Ted,

Look carefully at the vent screen from directly underneath it. You will see two holes at each end of the screen. Those holes go into little posts that hold the screen at a precise distance away from the opening. Deep inside those holes are phillips head screws - maybe an inch and a half or more.

After you remove the crank, loosen those two screws and the screen should fall into your hand.

On the water tank, I doubt you'd be able to get into it to install a screen filter. The best you could do is put some kind of filter in the line between the tank and pump.

As for cleaning it out, I guess you open your tank drain all the way and flush it repeatedly until all the "stuff" is out. It might help to tilt the tank so that all the "stuff" runs downhill towards the drain. Maybe by loosening the straps that hold it in, and slipping a couple of wooden blocks under the opposite side from the drain would do the trick.

You might also have to disconnect the pump from the tank and pressure flush those lines as well to get everything cleaned out.

Might help to figure out what the stuff is and where it came from, or the problem will likely re-appear.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Ted,

One more thing about removing the screen. You need to remove the four square head screws holding the vent surround and the surround itself before you can access the two phillip screws holding the screen. BTW, the screen may be a little tight to pull out, and this is due to it being tucked up there against the extra rubber roof material. Just give it a little tug and it should slide down. Also, make sure you keep all the screws in order with what they came from. The screw from the crank handle should be a fine thread phillips, the two holding the screen should be a coarse thread phillips, and the four holding the surround should be #2 square (and painted white).

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Ted

The guys have you fixed up with the words of what to do, I just happen to have these 2 pics from another post.

This surround comes off with the 4 screws like Jon was talking about.

Then you go up after the other scews with a long thin screw driver. You can see the side of the screen here.

I too get leaves up there driving down the road thru the Max air cover with the vent open. How they get in there?? It's one of those 8th mysteryes of RV'ing... I only know how to get them out

To your water issue. Crawl down and look up at your tank. Looks like this.

I have changed my suction port but if the tank is not white like this, you will need to flush the tank well. But before we get to that we need more info

Describe merky to us? Cloudy white or dirty brown?

You sanitized in the spring, but how long has water been in the TT since?

Is the merky on the hot water side or cold or both?

When was the last time your drained the entire system?

Does the water smell bad?

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:12 PM   #6

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesuebug
In regards to the screen issue, can you reach it (without getting on the roof) with a shop-vac hose. I usually climb a ladder and suck the stuff out with my shop vac. Just be very careful not to puncture the screen or scratch the roof. Yeah, I attach an extra hose to reach.M&S
Marshall

How does the shop vac suck thru the Max air cover? What type of thin attachment are you using? I have allways gone in from the inside fro teh screen trash. But some day will have to either lift the Max air cover or suck the dust off the inside up there.

Mine is not built up yet, but I have seen some that are on there for years and years and it is pretty dirty up there.

John

Old 06-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #7

SUN #307
purplesuebug
OOPs John,
I'm being a newbie again...........I don't have anything but the stock vents and I just had to look up "Max Air vents". But now I can say I want one, especially for the bathroom!!!!!
purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #8

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesuebug
OOPs John,
I'm being a newbie again...........I don't have anything but the stock vents and I just had to look up "Max Air vents". But now I can say I want one, especially for the bathroom!!!!!
OH....OK. No problem

I thought you had some type of new something.

Yes the Max air covers are great. We have a powered one in the bath and 1 non powered in kitchen and bed room.

Happy camping

John