Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #1

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Recommendations on how to put a cover on a trailer.

In trying to put a cover on an trailer. I don't have a walk on roof so putting cover on is all from the sides. I'm no youngster so hauling a cover up a ladder to and on to the roof is well quite daunting.
Any Ideas??

Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:05 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I used ropes on both sides and throw them over!

Old 02-02-2021, 05:47 PM   #3

SUN #4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
I used ropes on both sides and throw them over!
I tried that but a 28 ft cover don't pull to well. Pull one end up other end slides back down.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:31 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Jim,

I have been thinking on this. I only used a tarp cover once, so I am not the expert on this, but this much I did learn.

I tried to use a rope to pull the tarp up and over the roof. Had one rope on each end. It sort of worked, but what I learned is, the rope rolling over the gutter rail Dicor caulk, started to create a half round groove in the caulk due the rope burn. That was not good and I learned on that rubber roof, that was an issue, need to try something different next time.

Maybe try this. Adding to what SunlineFan stated here https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...tml#post154808

One of my biggest issues is hauling the monster cover up the ladder on a bigger camper. The box or cover roll is so big and bulky the 50 to 60# of cover is not something I really want to haul up a ladder.

I thought you said once on the forum you have one of the 6ft high rolling scaffolds. If you still have one, and your driveway cooperates to allow it to be level enough for the scaffold next to the camper, then:

- On the ground, pre-roll the cover so that is will unroll the way you want it on the roof.
- Set the scaffold platform to about 4 ft high.
- Lift the cover beast up onto the scaffold platform.
- Using a ladder, get on the platform and lift the cover beast up onto the roof.
- Use the platform, reset height as needed, and start to unroll the cover and use SunlineFan's broom lift method to get the cover out.

Sort of like this. I am taking the siding off in the pic but the ladder and platforms are setup like I was describing. I use this same method to take roof AC units off the roof. Way to heavy to lift off onto a ladder only. This Sunline camper is close to the same height as yours, just there is no axle flip lift done to it.

You can count the ladder rungs. The platform is a little over 4ft off the ground. Then anther 4 feet on the platform and you are on the roof from the side.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:33 AM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The ropes do involve two people one each side start in the front.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:37 PM   #6

SUN #4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi Jim,

I have been thinking on this. I only used a tarp cover once, so I am not the expert on this, but this much I did learn.

I tried to use a rope to pull the tarp up and over the roof. Had one rope on each end. It sort of worked, but what I learned is, the rope rolling over the gutter rail Dicor caulk, started to create a half round groove in the caulk due the rope burn. That was not good and I learned on that rubber roof, that was an issue, need to try something different next time.

Maybe try this. Adding to what SunlineFan stated here https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...tml#post154808

One of my biggest issues is hauling the monster cover up the ladder on a bigger camper. The box or cover roll is so big and bulky the 50 to 60# of cover is not something I really want to haul up a ladder.

I thought you said once on the forum you have one of the 6ft high rolling scaffolds. If you still have one, and your driveway cooperates to allow it to be level enough for the scaffold next to the camper, then:

- On the ground, pre-roll the cover so that is will unroll the way you want it on the roof.

- Set the scaffold platform to about 4 ft high.

- Lift the cover beast up onto the scaffold platform.

- Using a ladder, get on the platform and lift the cover beast up onto the roof.

- Use the platform, reset height as needed, and start to unroll the cover and use SunlineFan's broom lift method to get the cover out.

Sort of like this. I am taking the siding off in the pic but the ladder and platforms are setup like I was describing. I use this same method to take roof AC units off the roof. Way to heavy to lift off onto a ladder only. This Sunline camper is close to the same height as yours, just there is no axle flip lift done to it.

You can count the ladder rungs. The platform is a little over 4ft off the ground. Then anther 4 feet on the platform and you are on the roof from the side.

Hope this helps

John
Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I do have a 6 ft. scaffolding. I'll have to try that.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #7

SUN #703
SimonKenton
I like your tagline. Had the exact same setup. I do miss my Duramax. Towed my Sunlines cross country twice.
For the cover: You can walk on the roof just be careful that you step on the rafters. I was able to pull the mass of cover up from the front then drag it back to the rear and climb down the ladder. If you are careful it is doable.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #8

SUN #4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKenton View Post
I like your tagline. Had the exact same setup. I do miss my Duramax. Towed my Sunlines cross country twice..
My Duramax 524,000 miles on it. Can't afford another like it.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #9

SUN #402
flbradjr
We have a 2753 and we prefold our tarp in front of the trailer.
Then we use 2 garden rakes (not leaf) and hook the tines(?) to the tarp.
The rake handles give us the extra height to pull/push the tarp to the back.
And a ladder helps me to get the tarp over the a/c.
Then we use bungie cords to secure the tarp.
Good luck. Hope this helps.....
Foster & Janice
Old 02-15-2021, 07:28 AM   #10

SUN #11959
BrendaB. is an unknown quantity at this point
We used two 1x2x8 wood studs. Unrolled the cover and found the bend where it goes over the back and used clothes pins to pin it up so it wouldn't catch on anything, put the studs in the very corners of the cover lifted it up and over the top. With 2 people it was easy peasy and took all of about 15 minutes to do.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #11

SUN #4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
In trying to put a cover on an trailer. I don't have a walk on roof so putting cover on is all from the sides. I'm no youngster so hauling a cover up a ladder to and on to the roof is well quite daunting.
Any Ideas??
I should have said putting the cover on by myself.