Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-12-2007, 05:33 AM   #1

SUN #242
srusnowangel
Question about the water system.....

Hello All,
Sorry but I have some more questions for the experienced Sunline owner. We are not familiar with using the water system on a travel trailer. So my husband and I were wondering the following:

1. We want to use the water system this weekend on our trip but are afraid it will be too cold. What is a good rule of thumb on the temperature it should be outside to use the water system?
We planned on flushing it all out tonight and preparing it for the weekend. But thought we would find out first before we started it.

2. With a water heater: Do we just light it turn it on and the water will get to it? Is there anything else we need to do or check?

We don't want to ruin our system so any help from the experienced traveler would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Janette

Old 04-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
We camped over Easter and it got down to 29 and our water system was fine. With the heat on and the hot water heater on the pipes stayed above freezing. The frist night our hose to the campground connection froze. The second night we disconnected the outside hose, drained it, and put it under the camper so that it wouldn't freeze. Then just reconnected in the morning. If you're a coffee addict like I am make sure you fill the pot with water the night before!

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Make sure the HW tank is NOT bypassed and filled with water before igniting it.

What Pam said about disconnecting the water hose at night is a good idea if the temps will drop below freezing at night.
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #4

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
We are headed out to the Quarryville, PA Jellystone this weekend and from what I've seen the predicted temps to be, you shouldn't have an issue in the Central PA area.

Flush your system out then sanitize it by adding 1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gallons of fresh water capacity to the tank. After you fill up the tank with water, run the solution through all the outlets until you smell bleach. Let sit for an hour or so then drain the tank refill and flush until the bleach smell is gone.

As for the the Hot Water Heater, check the water line feeding it, there may be a bypass valve (isolates the heater so you don't need antifreeze) if there is you will need to open it to get water into the heater. After you get water in the heater run a hot water faucet until you don't get anymore air, then turn on the heater. Don't turn on the heater without water in it.

I'll second what Quetse said, disconnect the water supply hose and drain it if it is going below freezing. We ordered our coach with fresh, grey, and black tank heaters to extend our season, but there isn't much you can do about the supply hose freezing.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #5

SUN #225
Mark
I am not used to having a DSI heater system. I believe I turned my heater on for about 20 minutes by accident. The system is still winterized, and I assume it would have little to no water in the tank.

How long do you think it would take for damage to occur?

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:16 AM   #6

SUN #238
MikeM
Hi Mark

Typically you burn up the electric heating element in a relatively short time if the tank is empty.

I am not sure about the gas. The manufacturer probably can tell you if there will be a serious damage if the propane is lit.

MIke