Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #1

SUN #3872
mike71654 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question about the carpeting / flooring?

Does anyone know how the carpeting is held down and is the linoleum from the factory under the carpet in my 2363? My carpeting is warn and I would like to remove it from the living area of my camper but I am not sure what is under it and how the carpet is put down.

Mike & Rose
2000 Sunnybrook Fifth Wheel
2006 Ford F 350 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel
mike71654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't pulled mine up but several members have mentioned that the carpet is held down by enough staples to build a battleship .... well ok, maybe not quite that many but enough to leave many pinholes in the lino. I understand the linoleum does not extend all the way to the front or back of the 2363. Also the walls and cabinets were built on top of the carpet so you will need a razor knife at the edges to cut it loose.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #3

SUN #246
Janalee
Funny you would ask about this right now...just came on here to say I just carpeted my living area in my 2363! I tried to take up the carpet but about 3 minutes into it and a dozen teeny tiny staples in my hand...I QUIT THAT FAST!
So on to plan B.....I installed right over tbe old one! WHY NOT?! Bought an 8' piece of flexie tap down carpet trim, made a template for the curvy part (dont bend it inside-!-use your thigh as a "bending tool" so you dont crimp it), installed that right to the outside of the curve onto the lino, stapled the other edges and VOILA!! Looks beautiful! It took me about six hours even though I have carpeted before ...but this old body had a tough time down on that floor dealing with a small area...worth every minute! Good luck ...Janalee
PS..I used a tight weave commercial carpet so had to use that trim but if you use a plush style,you can just turn tbe edges after slitting them,and then use a carpet stapler...
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #4

SUN #4162
hburkholder is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes there are lots of staples. Some of us have opted to install laminate flooring. This is how our 1950 turned out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3140068.jpg (76.2 KB, 6 views)
'14 Evergreen Ascend
'04 T-1950
hburkholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #5

SUN #967
Finelinevan
Laminate flooring is an easy project for most

Taking the rug up is a lot of work, but its really only a small area your dealing with. Its easier if you get a carpet razor knife double sided blades to make job easier double sided and it will slice through neat and on one try, they dull fast so keep changing blades till the jobs finished. Then pull all the staples till the bare floor is clear and smooth. Depending on coach the carpet may go under couch under water tank into storage area etc. like in 2753 seating area. I would just take out rug where you will see it. Under say the couch its probably not soiled that bad anyway and will be fine left alone.
The laminate you want to get is a little more per box but you only need maybe 2 boxes at maybe 60 per box for the best stuff out there....anyway it has the foam backing attached to each plank, this way you don't mess with laying down a foam blanket its already glued to back of planks.
Its like a jig saw puzzle and make sure you don't let the seams all line up in the same place stagnate planks may cause you to waste some material but its for a better look. You may need 3/4 corner round molding to cover where it meets a wall you want to leave 1/2" so the floor can float or move you don't want to pin it to the plywood it will buckle ...needs to float. A power mider saw is a must. Its a day project. You can do this. I would say if you want to do entire floor you can go right over linoleum it will be fine, not over carpet though.
I had a 2753 for 10 years we loved that coach, I miss all the fun we had with the kids growing up.
I added link with flooring job I just did on our new coach where I pulled out all the carpet from pervious owner this past few months where I added laminate flooring and real oak moldings to show how nice this project can make your sunline.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=bef700a26f
Old 08-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #6

SUN #5360
SunlineKy is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been going through a lot of the things that you are asking about. I removed all the linoleum and the carpet out of my T2370 and ran 8MM laminate flooring all the way through it. I am still working on finishing my project but if you have questions feel free to holler at me. If you can run into it with the floor then I have probably had to deal with it.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ace-14941.html

As you can see I have even tore out my dinette to add space and built cabinets.

For the floor removal you can do everything with a box cutter razor, carpet knife, and vise grips. Regular pliers are good but some of those staples are upwards of an inch and a 1/2 long and take some real pulling.

Let me know if you have concerns
Old 08-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #7

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janalee View Post
.. ...but this old body had a tough time down on that floor dealing with a small area....
This old body has an even tougher time getting back up.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #8

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finelinevan View Post
Taking the rug up is a lot of work, but its really only a small area your dealing with. Its easier if you get a carpet razor knife double sided blades to make job easier double sided and it will slice through neat and on one try, they dull fast so keep changing blades till the jobs finished. Then pull all the staples till the bare floor is clear and smooth. Depending on coach the carpet may go under couch under water tank into storage area etc. like in 2753 seating area. I would just take out rug where you will see it. Under say the couch its probably not soiled that bad anyway and will be fine left alone.
The laminate you want to get is a little more per box but you only need maybe 2 boxes at maybe 60 per box for the best stuff out there....anyway it has the foam backing attached to each plank, this way you don't mess with laying down a foam blanket its already glued to back of planks.
Its like a jig saw puzzle and make sure you don't let the seams all line up in the same place stagnate planks may cause you to waste some material but its for a better look. You may need 3/4 corner round molding to cover where it meets a wall you want to leave 1/2" so the floor can float or move you don't want to pin it to the plywood it will buckle ...needs to float. A power mider saw is a must. Its a day project. You can do this. I would say if you want to do entire floor you can go right over linoleum it will be fine, not over carpet though.
I had a 2753 for 10 years we loved that coach, I miss all the fun we had with the kids growing up.
I added link with flooring job I just did on our new coach where I pulled out all the carpet from pervious owner this past few months where I added laminate flooring and real oak moldings to show how nice this project can make your sunline.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=bef700a26f
Thanks for sharing the pics, Ed. Your BT looks in excellent shape now, and since you can keep it inside/under cover, it should last a good long time like that. I remember seeing a few of those when they first came out, but it's not something you see much these days.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #9

SUN #3872
mike71654 is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the laminate....I may just have to go that route.

Mike & Rose
2000 Sunnybrook Fifth Wheel
2006 Ford F 350 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel
mike71654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #10

SUN #967
Finelinevan
Laminate floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike71654 View Post
I like the laminate....I may just have to go that route.
Mike I found that if you go with a laminate go with a wide plank look. They look like 1 piece of of wood flooring 5 inches wide and look more like real wood floors plus when you have to cut in I found it just easier. Also look for the laminate with the foam glued to the plank its well worth it. You will be happy and the laminate holds up very well under normal use. Keep the extra boards when your done in case you have to replace one down the line. Good Luck!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #11

SUN #967
Finelinevan
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Thanks for sharing the pics, Ed. Your BT looks in excellent shape now, and since you can keep it inside/under cover, it should last a good long time like that. I remember seeing a few of those when they first came out, but it's not something you see much these days.
Thanks for the kind words. Like Sunline has faded away, Gulfstream has downsized and do not make any motorhomes of any kind anymore just trailers. So the Gulfstream BT cruiser I own with 25k miles now I guess will soon be a classic in time as anyone with a Sunline.
So Your right garaged is how to go. My Sunline was also garaged from the day we got her and when I had to sell it I had a handfull of people who wanted it, even a 11 year old unit and got way above book on it. It was all fiberglass exterior and Sunline when I order it took the queen bed out of the 2753 and custom built bunks for us for the 4 kids ( 1 of a kind 2753) My wife and I slept on the sofa worked perfect for us all those years. I should post the pictures of interior bunks. I have some pictures of outside on my profile showing last summer we had it, I it was 11 years old.
It was like new in and out when I sold her and we used it all summer and traveled all over this country 11 years worth and 60, 000 miles on her with never an issue. Pulled by 98 Econoline van with 5.4 which was also garaged she was perfect cond in and out as well only used as tow vech for Sunline otherwise sat covered in garage it was a perfect matchup.

I do wish someone would buy the rights to Sunline and start the factory up using same building practices with modern new alum framing. They have such a customer loyalty and if they stayed to just Travel trailers would probally do ok.
I always compare interiors to sunlines and the new Trailers on the market are no where to their quailty.
The BT I own surley is done very well and has all solid oak cabinet doors and even stills, interior quailty same as sunline. Sunline was the only trailer that had a great wood like laminate that did not fade like most rvs mixed with solid wood frames.

I am always looking for a Sunline trailer low priced to restore and resell. One that just needs some TLC and a good cleaning, new flooring etc. They are made well even with wood framing. Thanks again for the compliments. Ed