Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-21-2007, 04:05 PM   #1

SUN #114
pamwinn
Quality Trailers

What other manufacturer makes trailers with quality similar to a Sunline? In about 5 years we are going to be looking for another trailer or 5th wheel and I am pretty much convinced (finally) that Sunline won't be coming back. What should I look at?

Old 05-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
We've started the search for the full timing vehicle and it's a sad state of affairs. We thought we'd like to know what we want NOW, so that when the time comes in a couple years we'll know what we want. We looked at everything on the Stoltzfus lot (Forest River products) and didn't like anything...well that's not true, we liked the leftover Sunlines. And we didn't go in the 12,000 pound Cardinal 5th wheel. Then, we were in Ohio and passing by an Airstream dealer, so we thought why not? We'll be selling the house I was even able to be "cheesed out" in an Airstream. Neither one of us like the way the windows open. They pop outward...how do you get a breeze with that? And the salesman said to be careful opening them because they have a tendency to shatter if you twist them at all. What? for $80,000 it's easy to break the window by simply opening it? And they have less storage space because of the curved walls. I hear they tow real nice though. Eventually we'll take a look at the Bigfoot. As you can probably tell my thought is that if it's expensive it might be nice. So far that hasn't proven to be true. Looked at the Nash. Online it sounds like a nice family owned high quality trailer. It was OK, and the best so far. BUT, when I see a cracked skylight in a brand new unit my first thought is how did that make it past QC? We'll probably take another look at Nash at some point. I think if the Bigfoot doesn't pass the "Sunline equivalency test" it's going to be a used Sunline for us when it's fulltime time I like to walk out of a trailer asking myself if I'd be excited to be trading in QUEtSE for what I just looked at. So far the answer is no.

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #3

SUN #114
pamwinn
We too are interested in taking a look at a BigFoot. There are not any around here. I've never seen one on the road.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #4

SUN #128
Tweety
THere's a dealer near Philly that has a Bigfoot and is expecting another one in a couple weeks. He's supposed to call us when it comes in. I'll keep you posted on what we think. I remember thinking it was pretty nice when we were at the Hershey RV show. Oh...I forgot...we also looked at Jayco and said no way. Again, we didn't go in any 10,000 pound Jayco Eagles. DH just isn't interested in towing anything really heavy. We had a funny conversation with the salesman there too. He asked how we like the Jayco, and DH said something like they were alright, but just didn't seem as nice as what we're used to which is Sunline. This salesman used to sell Sunlines, and he immediately commiserated that Sunline made a wonderful trailer and it's such a shame what happened to them. It's pretty telling when the competition readily admits that Sunline was the best around.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Old 05-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never even been inside one, but lots of folks seem to like their Sunnybrooks. Northwood Products (makers of Nash & Artic Fox) are closing their plant in Winchester VA, so they will only be built in the northwest plant. So, not sure how service would go with them. Excel, New Vision and Teton, but pricey and I think only 5th wheels. Holiday Rambler, many seem happy with them. Out of suggestions for now.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #6

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Pam,

I once heard of this brand called Sunline . I hear that they have excellent quality, unsurpassed by any competitor!

Well, why don't you consider another Sunline? If you want something to full time in, I don't think you will want to sacrifice any less quality than you have now because you will be using everything in it a lot more. Remember, the lesser the weight, the lesser the quality.

Pamwinn, I actually know people (three) who own Jayco 5ths. They all love them and the quality is very close to, but not at or above, Sunline. They all have the Designer Legacy model, which is now just a Legacy package. They all park them for the season (and compete for whose is cleanest), so I can't really tell you how they perform on the road. But, they can't be that heavy if they can tow a 39' trailer with a SRW gas truck. On the other hand, I know of someone who owned a Mobile Suites (made by Doubletree) and sold it because of the weight. It (36') was maxing out his SRW Dodge 2500 with the Cummins.

I agree, it looks like Sunline is gone, but the ad is still on eBay for the intellectual property. It should be interesting in five days when the ad runs out to see if another goes up. I haven't given up hope quite yet...

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:46 AM   #7

SUN #62
rich2500
we have been looking at bigger campers for a while now,we want a double slide with a bedroom for the kids and so far the only brands I would consider is the sunnybrooks or the KZ's,all the other brands we have been in don't even compare to sunlines solid structure,our last camper was a Nash 22H and that was also a very solid unit but there are no local dealers.we where at the valley forge rv show back over the winter and almost pulled the trigger on a rockwood,then I came to my senses and just could not own a forest river product and boy am I glad because friends of ours just bought a salem and the list of problems on that thing is a mile long,on their maiden voyage we had to reinstall the black tank that fell out after I filled the tank with my flush king,now that is quality.
01 F-250 V-10 4x4 Lariat supercab SB auto 4:30 LS
draw-tite 1200# trunnion wd,friction sway control,prodigy
happy camping Rich,Maryellen,Josh and Jake
https://www.campingpa.com/
rich2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:06 AM   #8

SUN #21
donreitz
If you search the rv.net travel trailer forum you'll learn pretty quickly the three manufacturers with the most enthusiastic owners are Sunline, Artic Fox/Nash, and Sunnybrook. While most manufacturers have owners that love them and hate them (Jayco for instance), you won't find many folks having anything bad to say about these three.

Airstream is a different story. You don't buy just a trailer, you buy a lifestyle--like buying a Harley-Davidson. If you get the lifestyle, then the premium you pay is worth it. If you don't get it, then an Airstream is an enormous waste of money.

My own thinking is this: if you've grown accustomed to Sunline quality you won't be satisfied with any run-of-the-mill manufacturer. AF/N or Sunnybrook might fit the bill. Also, you don't hear much about Bigfoot, but what you do hear is pretty encouraging. It's worth a look.

Hope this helps.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:48 AM   #9

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree and second Don's comments above.

If I were looking for a new trailer, I would start with Sunnybrook - the Titan LX. IMO Sunnybrooks are similar to Sunline wrt quality and type of company - small w/ good customer service. They also have a strong owners club forum, like ours - see http://www.sunnybrooktalk.com/. Before we bought our current Sunline, I was looking seriously at the Sunnybrooks and talking with many Sunnybrook owners on their forum. Great bunch of people, very similar to this group, which says a lot for the trailer and the owners.

Cedar Creek is ok, maybe a cut below Sunline wrt quality.

I'm not familiar with Nash/Artic Fox or Bigfoot but have heard a lot of good things about them in different forums.

And (saving the best for last), as Jon said, you can always look at a used Sunline. If it's been taken care of, you know what you're getting and how well it's made and how long it will last.

Good luck.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:20 AM   #10

SUN #125
1boomer
Although we have no desire to ever move on from our 2499, we would take a hard look at the HR Presidential. We've looked at them on a dealers lot and they seem to be well built and would be large enough for full-timing. Of course that would mean a new truck as our F150 wouldn't pull it.
This past January we went to the Cleveland RV Show and were apalled at the models on display. We came away with the idea that nothing there even came close to what we have now and agreed that we just wasted a bunch of time, gas and money to even look.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:20 AM   #11

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
A friend down the street from us has a SunnyBrook, top of the line model (he says), well it is real nice with 2 slides, washer/dryer and all the "glitz" I have to admit, I felt "at home" in !

I didn't go opening all the cabinet doors, the wife was showing it to me, but she has passed away, so no I can "snoop" and I know Jim won't mind! - He thinks I'm one of the guys anyway! Jim says he really like the way it is build (he has owned a few TT's in his lifetime) & only problem he had was a slide motor, which was replaced on his last trip out - brought home the old one and found absolutely nothing worong with it! He is a member of the SunnyBrook Club and went to their big campout and told the mfger rep about the motor, guy took it from Jim and sent him a check.....was not too pleased with the dealer for doing that and not checking futher!

Anyway, it sounds like SunnyBrook will compete for some of the Sunline business, when we all want to upgrade! We looked before we bought our 07 T2499 BUT the units we saw seemed too BIG for us - it is just the two of us and we didn't see the need to have anythiing as large as they offered! But that is just us! Hey I thought we would be happy for many years with our 1950 but then I got the bug for the 2499!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #12

SUN #175
2000T2980
I have looked at lots of trailers before getting the current Montana. The Montana Mountaineer 32 PRD has been just as good as my old Sunline was at this point so far. We have used it for about 30 nights out so far and no issues so far. I was leary of Keystone products but have learned that they do support them well. Dealer Support is very important in the support line so depending on the brand you choose that should also be a consideration.

I am very pleased with the Montana Mountaineer and my dealer on the sales transaction, and the PDI was done well.

Other bands I consider of good Quality, Bigfoot, Nash Artic Fox. Sunnybrook, Cedar Creek, Teton.
Hensley Hitch
Jordan 2020 Brake Controller.
2000T2980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #13

SUN #196
tinybluetj
We had settled on the McKenzie before getting a 'closing' deal on the Que. Made by Monaco.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:26 PM   #14

SUN #115
emam
I'd be hard pressed to find better quality then our Sunline. If there is one thing I would recommend, it would be to go to the RV Show in Hershey PA, as it's the largest one in the US and every manufacturer has Trailers there.

Bring a camera and a note pad and make lots of notes. DOnt just go to a local dealer. That is one reason I felt so comfortable with our local dealer, General RV. The manager even recommended we do this before we made our purchase to make sure we felt comfortable. We had already made up our minds as we had been tonumerous shows before choosing Sunline.

We killed two birds with one stone and ordered our Sunline a few weeks before the show, but made the trip to Hershey and visited the Sunline plant to watch our 2499 roll off the assembly line. After spending 10 hours at the show, with aching feet, we got into our car with a huge smile on our face knowing we had made the right decision.

This would be the only way I would buy another trailer. You get to compare everything on the market and see everything they offer. There are some great smaller companies out there, but you'll pay dearly for them. If you were looking to do it full time, then cost should be the last of your worries.

Good Luck

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:52 AM   #15

SUN #128
Tweety
Pat,
We have been to the Hershey show a half dozen times over the years, just for fun, and always came away feeling like Sunline was the best. What I'm wondering from you specifically is how is the size of your 2499 working out? Our plan is similar to yours...travel around for a couple of years. (and try to stay in nice weather Also, what options can you absolutely not live without - like generator? solar panels?
Old 05-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #16

SUN #115
emam
If you were going to move around like us non-stop, then the 2499 is the perfect size. Do I sometimes wish I had a slide? YES!

But I dont when we're in those back woods campgrounds where most other campers wouldnt dare go.

We have found that the Solar Panels are a huge help as they allow us to not have to worry about having to find a campground with hook-ups. We have been able to stay at a few places much longer then you normally would have if you were just running off of a normal set-up.

I cant imagine going without the lift-kit and the larger Norcold Rofridgerator, as they both allow us to stay in the back woods a little while longer.

We are thinking about getting a 2000i Generator, but havent felt the need to make the purchase yet. The Larger Thetford Toilet make sitting on the throne much more comfortable then the smaller standard unit. The only thing we both really wish we had more of is counter space, as we dont go out to eat and Cindy does all the cooking in the Covered Wagon or outside. I'd love to have one of those set-ups that attach to the side, so we could have a table that could be mounted, but we're working on that.

We might have another fresh water tank installed to make those back woods stays a little more lenghty so we dont have to worry about leaving to go refill our fresh, and not have to skimp on showers or washing up.

If you have a few years till you're ready to leave, then make sure you follow along and we can be your guinie pigs...LOL

Good Luck

Pat & Cindy

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #17

SUN #128
Tweety
Thanks Pat & Cindi for the comprehensive answer. We're following right along on your website. We aren't sure what our timeframe is exactly. The last kid graduates from college May of 2009 ! Not sure if we will wait that long or not. And to anyone who hasn't visited their website, you should...they're having quite an adventure
Old 05-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Fantastic Photo !!!

It's a shame Sunline is out of business, you sure could be their front cover photo.

I bet the Sunline employees that read this forum are thrilled to see the tests you are putting their product thru. It just proves that SUNLINE is the BEST COACH that was ever made !!!!!!

Happy Trails,

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #19

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Pat,

You may want to look at a portable water container before putting in an extra fresh water tank. A portable one would save on room when not using it.

Here's what Camping World sells to give you an idea of what I'm talking about: 45 Gal Portable Fresh Water Tank

Just a thought.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #20

SUN #114
pamwinn
hey emam, could you give me the model number of the larger toilet. If one would fit in a 1950, I might give my husband one for fathers day.