Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
Putting a Hitch on my F-304 SR

Well I just got back from the Auto and Boat Show in Harrisburg, and on a whim I bought a Jet Ski. Now I'm wondering about putting a reciever on the back of my trailer. The frame of the 304 is really heavy duty (the trailer weighs a lot compared to other makes in this size) and I already have a rack for the rear. The P.O. made a heavy steel rack that slides on the rear of the trailer. He welded steel square stock to the frame and drilled two holes in each side to bolt the rack in. The rack has slightly smaller tube stock which slides into the stock that is welded to the frame. I've been using the rack for a bicycle carrier, but always wondered how much weight it would hold. The rack and supports are really heavy stock so I'm not worried about that end of it, just the stress on the frame. I'm about 270 lbs and I can stand/jump on it and it doesn't budge. My idea is to weld another piece of tube stock to the center of the rack to use as a reciever for a small drawbar I have left over from my days of driving a VW. The Ski weights about 800 lbs + I figure about 300 lbs for the little trailer. It has virtually no tongue weight to speak of. Does this sound like a legit idea? I've seen plenty of people towing a small Motorcycle trailer behind their fiver, but I'd like some more input. This isn't going to be something that I'm going to tow behind the trailer all the time, just on the occasions that we go to a lake or the shore.
All input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Lowell

2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Lowell,

I can’t really help much on your questions.
But I do know that some states don’t allow triple towing and many states that do allow it have strict regulations on the hitch & setup.

I would suggest that you look at if there are any state regulations in PA for triple towing. That may give you some information if you need a specific receiver or if there are guidelines on how the receiver needs to be attached and if there are any restrictions on triple towing.

I would think that if you got a good receiver and had it welded to the frame it would work.
Then it’s looking at how the receiver and tongue weight of the loaded ski trailer affects the tongue weight of your trailer.
And also how the additional weight (i.e., receiver + loaded ski trailer) affects the GCWR of your truck.

Hope this was of some help.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:50 AM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
You may find this helpful in looking up towing regulations for the various states:

http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html

(One note: The "Max Weight" listing seems to be the max weight you can tow without trailer brakes, I believe. I thought NY was 1000#, but they say 3000#. Without starting a long debate, my personal take is that anything over 1000# needs to be looked at closely before towing without trailer brakes. For example, my Dodge 3500 would probably tow 2000# safely without trailer brakes, but I would be very reluctant to tow the same load with a mini SUV without trailer brakes.)

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #4

SUN #115
emam
Hey Lowell, I think towing the small Jet Ski wouldnt be a big deal with weight issues, but have you ever towed a double? It's a nightmare!!

I used to drive gravel train and backing the doubles are so hard. I cant imagine backing the camper with a very short tongue trailer behind that. We had a small tongued lawn trailer and I could barely even back that thing up by itself.

If I were you, I'd look into some sort of rig that would allow you to haul the Jetski in the bed of the truck, and they with a set of wheels, remove it from the truck and onto a small trailer to bring into the water. I know they make them for our kayaks and canoes, but they probably have soemthing for the bigger jetskis also. Actually I remeber seeing them on the beaches in Hawaii by the life guard stands. All the life guards use Jetskis for rescue.

Just a thought

Good luck
Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
Well I went out today and took a real good look at the set-up I have for the rack. The steel tube stock the P.O. welded to the frame goes under the trailer about 5 foot or so and is welded to two cross members. I'm thinking this is plenty sufficient for the job. The Ski and trailer should weigh in at approx 1,000 lbs. The draw bar is rated for 2k, and even with adding the weight of the ski and trailer I'm still going to be under the GVWR of the trailer. It's rated at 12,500 lbs, and it's dry weight is 10,090 lbs. This leaves a cargo carring capasity (CCC) of 2,410 lbs. If the ski weighs 1,000 lbs. that still leaves me with a CCC of 1,410 lbs. I don't usually tow with any water, most places we go have full hook ups. I'm almost certain that if I figure the ski's weight into the trailers GVWR I'll still be in under the limit. My truck is rated to tow 13,700 lbs. so that won't be an issue.
The limit on towing a trailer without brakes in PA is 3,000 lbs. I 'm not positive but I don't think that the miniscule tongue weight on the ski trailer will alter the pin weight of the fiver onto the truck. The pin weight listed by Sunline when the trailer is dry is 2,400 lbs. I'll still have to pig tail off of the trailer lights to be able to power the ski trailer lights.
Hutch, the legal towing procedure in PA I think may be my only hurdle. Like you stated all the states are different. I do have a question into PennDOT as to the allowance for towing doubles privately.
Steve I'm with you on safety when towing thats why I figured the weight of the ski into the trailers GVWR. The trailer brakes are designed to handle the GVWR of the trailer, so even with the added weight of the ski I'm still under that rating.
Pat your exactly right about trying to back doubles, almost impossible. With a tiny little trailer behind my coach, impossible. I'd love to be able to put the ski in the bed (which was the plan before we bought the new trailer) but the new Sunline is a fiver.
You guys let me know if any of my rambling makes any sense, or I'm trying to make it work too hard.
Thanks Again, Lowell
Old 01-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #6

SUN #406
chuck & lori
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms.../chapter49.pdf

§ 4904. Limits on number of towed vehicles.
(a) General rule.--No motor vehicle shall be operated upon a highway towing more than one other
vehicle except as otherwise provided in this section.

Found this, I think this answers your question.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #7

SUN #382
Mooney
I wonder if the DOT offers a doubles/ triples license for regular drivers?

Interesting....

I have doubles/ trips on my CDL- it was not hard to obtain (knowledge test only)....

I know you can get airbrake and hazmat endorsements, on a regular non-CDL, so why not ask that too?
'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:36 AM   #8

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Lowell,

My other thought, as Jon mentioned above, is the inability to see what’s happening with the jetski & trailer when towing. This would be a constant worry to me.
You may want to look to see if you can find an inexpensive camera to mount on the back of your trailer so you have the ability to check on the trailer and jetski while towing.

If you find problems with PA DOT laws allowing triple towing, you could consider an alternative approach similar to how Pat carries their motorcycle on the back of their trailer. Would the jetski fit on one of those cargo carriers that fit into a receiver?

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
PennDot eventually referred me to the Motor Carrier Division. The MCD told me that I cannot tow two trailers, "Doubles". The only exception is for tractor trailers towing "doubles", which is 2 28 foot trailers connected with a converter dolly. I did mention getting the combinations (doubles, triples) endorsement added to my lisc., still illegal. I did have all of my permits, and took all of the CDL written tests about 6 years ago, just never got around to taking the road test. I'm completely knowledgeable to do it, but they say no.
I still may do it anyway. It's not like it's going to be an every tow event. I just want to be able to take the ski to the shore, and maybe to Raystown. So we are talking about twice a year. I have to check into some other options though. I may be able to register the trailer in another state to get around the PA law.
I really don't want to put a hitch on our Volvo to tow it, and I don't think I can use a rack on the rear of the trailer. The ski is 10 ft long and weighs 747 lbs dry. I'm sure I'll figure something out eventually, it'll probably be that I'm licked and just forget it.