Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #1

SUN #3152
cuffer101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Propane

Hi all, can anyone tell me if you can hook a coleman grill up to the outside pipe and run the grill off the tt propane instead of the small bottles?? Chuck

Old 12-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Chuck

The "pipe" on the side of the camper is low pressure, in the 0.5psi range.

Many of the grills or 2 burner stoves are high pressure. Meaning the little green bottle has a regulator on it to take tank pressure down to either 7.5 or 5 psi. It depends on the stove.

If you try it direct to the low pressure pipe and it is a high pressure stove you won't get much heat. And if you hook from the low pressure pipe to the regulator where the little green bottle hooks too odds are high it may not be enough to open the spring in the regulator.

I'm not saying every grill or stove is this way, you need to know if the grill is a high pressure or low pressure grill. If it is made for the little green bottles, odds are it is a high pressure stove designed to be used outdoors.

The stove, oven, HW heater, furnace and fridge are made to run on low pressure inside your camper and that feeder pipe is regulated down to low pressure, 11" of water column (WC.)except the stove that is even further regulated to 10" WC. It's a safety requirement and you have a 2 stage tank regulator to get it that low.

Some of the real big cast iron burner stoves like a Camp Chef are made to run on high or low pressure. On high pressure you can get 35,000 btu burners and on low pressure maybe 1/2 that.

I have heard something about the Weber Q series but do not know for sure if they can be converted to low pressure. Have to research that some more.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #3

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Chuck,

If the Coleman grill is a Coleman Roadtrip, like I have, you can make it work. As John mentioned, the quick connect is low pressure but if you remove the regulator part from the connetion on the back of the Roadtrip it works nicely on the low pressure quick connect and you have the flame adjustment on the front of the Roadtrip. The regulator does unscrew from the curved pipe.

Here is what I put together for mine.

Gene

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #4

SUN #3152
Angry

Thanks Gene and John, looks like I owe Tim ( the parts man at my local tt place) an apology. He showed me a grill that would run off the tt propane line that was quite expensive. I said no, don't need it. Well, You know what they say,,,, alittle bit of knowledge is dangerous in the hands of an idiot.

Chuck
Old 12-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes if you hook directly to the tank. I have one works fine, same with the MR Buddy heaters. There is a fitting available to just what you are talking about goes between the tank and the TT regulator. RV Direct Online Store
Old 12-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #6

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
I bring an extra 20 lb. tank. I have a 16 inch "christmas tree" fitting on it with three outlets. One goes to my Coleman stove for cooking breakfast, one goes to my full size grill for bigger meals, and I can hook up a coleman lantern to the top for camping in the wild. Saves the battery by not needing outside trailer lights.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #7

SUN #3152
Hate the idea of dragging another tank around, that's why I was looking at hooking up to the tt supply. Chuck