Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #1

SUN #6579
Relie is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem winterizing

Closed up my T2553 this weekend and had a problem. For the first time I tried to use the fresh water pump to put the rv antifreeze in the system. The pump runs fine but but wouldn't pull the pink stuff into the system. Have never tried this method before so, I was stumped. Any ideas? The motor runs and we tried to prime it but, nothing.
Also, can anybody show me open and then closed position on the low drains? I got sidetracked and had a heck of a time getting them closed again.
Many thanks..

Old 09-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Does it have a fitting for the hose? There should also be a small valve that needs to be opened.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #3

SUN #6579
Thanks for the reply but,Don't know what you mean by hose fitting. I'm talking about the pump on the fresh water tank. And the low drain shut offs, there are two.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #4

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you trying to wintertize putting the anti freeze in the fresh water tank or do you have a winterizing kit? If you have a winterizing kit there will be a two way valve in the line between the tank and pump with a piece of hose attached. You place the hose in the jug a of antifreeze and turn the valve so the handle points to the line to the jug. It should self prime. Make sure you turn the valve back to the original position when finished.

As to your low points look for two pipes coming from the underside of the trailer. They used two types of valves. A push-pull or quarter turns. Pull should drain, push should be closed. The quarter turns I had my wife watch the pipes then I marked the valve with a Sharpie.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #5

SUN #6579
Winterize

No, not trying to go thru the fresh water tank. Just want to use the pump to move the pink stuff thru the water system. I just wondered if anyone has had a problem like I had (pump running but, not pumping fluid). I used a hand pump that I've always used. Just want to try something new and easy.

As far as the low drain valves, I need some one with a 1999 T2553 to look at their valves and tell me which way is open and which way is closed. The valves have 3 positions left, center and right.
This definition of the problems might be more understandable. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #6

SUN #64
How are you getting the antifreeze in? If you have a winterizing kit, there will be a valve in the pump to tank line with an open ended hose attached to it. You'll need to turn that valve with the handle inline with the open hose.

BTW - The pump will not pull water from the city water connection. The tank-pump is seperated by a check valve from the city connection.

As I said before, The easiest way to determine the position of the drain valves is to have someone watch the drains under the trailer while you work the valves.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #7

SUN #6579
Winterize

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACK C-85 View Post
How are you getting the antifreeze in? If you have a winterizing kit, there will be a valve in the pump to tank line with an open ended hose attached to it. You'll need to turn that valve with the handle inline with the open hose.
>>>Want to use the pump to get antifreeze into system, not into the tank. Removed line coming out of tank and replaced it with a line going into bottle of pink antifreeze. Hope this makes a little more sense.<<<<<<<<<

BTW - The pump will not pull water from the city water connection. The tank-pump is seperated by a check valve from the city connection.
>>>>>Not trying to go thru the city water connection. Trying to pump antifreeze directly thru the pump into the system.<<<<<<<

As I said before, The easiest way to determine the position of the drain valves is to have someone watch the drains under the trailer while you work the valves.
>>>>This is what I'll do in the spring when I open, and I'll mark them.<<<<<
Thanks for the help..
Old 09-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #8

SUN #64
Ok, trying to eliminate possibilities.

Our you sure you disconnected the tank side and not the discharge? Not trying to be sarcastic, but I've done some strange things that had me questioning my own intelligence while working on these things [emoji15] Don't ask about the gallon or so of antifreeze I've put on the ground several tines forgetting to close those drain valves.

Make sure you're not drawing any air on the intake. Make sure your connection to the pump are airtight, you've got plenty of liquid to draw from.

Since you've got it a part get a two way tee valve and a piece of hose and install it in your tank to pump line with the piece of hose a on the third nipple.....instant winterizing kit!!

Old 09-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #9

SUN #6579
Winterizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relie View Post
Thanks for the help..
[QUOTE=MACK C-85;134148]Ok, trying to eliminate possibilities.
Don't ask about the gallon or so of antifreeze I've put on the ground several tines forgetting to close those drain valves.[QUOTE]

oh ya, I blew thru a gallon before I caught the mistake.

Since you've got it a part get a two way tee valve and a piece of hose and install it in your tank to pump line with the piece of hose a on the third nipple.....instant winterizing kit!!
[B]I don't ever use the water tank so, I just disconnected that hose and connected another hose directly to the bottle. I'm sure now that the problem is with the pump.[/B
Old 09-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #10

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
This might help

Open the faucet, hot and or cold when trying to prime the pump. Sometimes they catch prime better if they are purging air out of the system rather then trying to compress it in a closed up system

It sounds like you do not use your water pump from the fresh tank often, if ever. Then may be something plugged in the pump or a piece of dirt lodged in the pump internal check valves not allowing the pump to catch prime.

If you have a full gallon of pink antifreeze and the hose deep in the jug, the jug about level with the pump and the faucet open, it should prime and start pumping in 5 to 15 seconds. If not, something in the pump is bad or the discharge line is plugged. If you have an air compressor you can blow through the pump to confirm the pump or downstream line is clear

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #11

SUN #6579
Winterizing

Super ideas, I will try them in the spring when I'm not rushed. You are right about the fresh water tank. I've never used it. I'll blow some air thru it and try the open valve method. Let you know in the spring how it worked. Thank you very. Much and enjoy the Fall. (It's my favorite season).