Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #1

SUN #8
camp4fun
Price Justification?

I am looking for a new travel trailer and spent last Saturday afternoon at my local Sunline dealer. I like the trailers, but they are much higher priced than other travel trailers I am looking at, like the Jayco. I have heard good things about Sunline, but is the price difference really worth it?

Old 08-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #2

SUN #9
ljkwe
Yes, it's worth it

Sunlines are simply better built and with better materials. One way I like to check the quality of a unit is the windows and drawers. Do they open easily? Is the movement smooth? I was amazed by how cheap some of the windows were in the other brands we looked at. Ans who wants to fight with drawers every time you open one?

Old 08-18-2006, 08:22 PM   #3

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
The average trailer, and so many are just that...AVERAGE...will be the product of a hurry up and get it done production facility, and if a screw gets driven in crooked or not at all or even worse.... into something causing damage well it will stay that way and you will be the one to deal with it. That's a tiny example of how cheaply so many of the common trailers are being built...Sunline doesn't follow that build style..they are looking to make the best trailers they can within the parameters of a reasonable price structure. Their prices may seem excessive, but trust me when I say you do get what you pay for with a Sunline. Compare them to other high end trailers...and there are precious few out there....then decide if they are to pricey....me thinks not!!

GoodoleBob
Old 08-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Jim

SUN #24
Jim
I bought a cheaper model that was supposed to be the same quality as the sunline I now have. Due to poor design I had a major roof leak and a broken shower drain trap. I was able to fix the shower trap and fabricate a replacement panel with help from my Father in law. The roof was a different story. I ended up trading in for my current unit and the only issues I have had has been two tire blow outs. One was a staple and the other seems to be a defective tire. My other issues have been a loose cold water faucet handle and a defective microwave oven that was replaced immediately with no questions asked. This was not a problem that was a fault of Sunline, but the microwave manufacturer.

We were passing through Denver PA on a return from vacation and stopped at the factory and took the tour. I was impressed with the employees I dealt with and the quality of the materials that were used.

We have put nearly 6,000 miles on our unit since delivery last July and I continue to be as impressed today as I was 3 years ago when I stepped inside one at a show. It was to heavy and to much money at the time. Didn't take me long to make the change when we were less than pleased with our first purchase. I do not believe you will be dissapointed, especially when you start looking at hundreds of units at several shows. My opinion is that it is priced fairly for the product. I do not like to spend the money any more than the next person, but so far it has been well worth it in time spent camping and not fixing or making appointments with the dealer. So far I have not been back to the dealer.

We had been in at least 50 units when we stepped in the sunline. After doing that you will soon see things that stand out. Moldings that fit, clean caulk jobs, drawers that are quality and logically placed storage, nice touches like wall switches in the bath, self storing shower door, china toilet, nice looking faucets, fabrics and window treatments that makes the unit feel home like etc.
Good luck with your decision.
2017 Siverado 6.0 4x4 4:10
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:51 PM   #5

SUN #21
donreitz
What you get in quality, reliability, and longevity you'll pay for in weight and a comparatively high price. Do the benefits outweigh the costs? That's up to you. I'd say in general that if you have a suitable tow vehicle, appreciate high quality workmanship, and are willing to pay a reasonable premium for that workmanship, you'd make a good Sunline owner.

We found our Sunline by stopping at the dealer on the way back from visiting another dealer. After spending all morning having toured a variety of units of indifferent quality and uncertain design, stepping into the Sunlines was a revelation. Here was an RV you could feel comfortable in knowing it was well built and things would work as intended when you got to the camp site. Right there we decided the premium price was worth it (after suitable discounting). We haven't regretted it.

The good customer service is an added bonus. La Rue Lengel at the factory is very helpful.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the search.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote