Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #1

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Phone Service

As long term Rvers we no longer have a land line and have been long term users of Verizon's phone service and wireless broadband. Verizon is an expensive provider but has excellent service and the widest coverage of any provider by a wide margin.

Recently Walmart has entered the phone market with Straight Talk. For $30/month you get 1000 minutes a month, 1000 text messages, 30 MB data. For $45 you get unlimited calls and texts and 30 MB data. Most amazingly Straight Talk uses almost all of Verizon's network.

If nothing else this should cause an industry pricing shake up. Unfortunately we just renewed with Verizon or we would be considering changing carriers. There is no requirement for contracts with Walmart.

Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
Thanks Norm. We find this type of information that you post very useful
Keep it coming!

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #3

SUN #292
More

I'm attempting to learn more about Straight Talk. On the $45 unlimited plan, the data is also unlimited. The data allotment can be used to surf the internet. This means you can send and receive email.

We presently have a similar plan on my blackberry and it is nice to get emails with out going to the computer. I don't know if it works as well on the cell phones as my blackberry but later this winter I will buy one for a month and try it.

As well I want to determine if these phones can serve as a modem to my computer.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #4

SUN #549
frank
Re: More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda03842
I'm attempting to learn more about Straight Talk. On the $45 unlimited plan, the data is also unlimited. The data allotment can be used to surf the internet. This means you can send and receive email.

We presently have a similar plan on my blackberry and it is nice to get emails with out going to the computer. I don't know if it works as well on the cell phones as my blackberry but later this winter I will buy one for a month and try it.

As well I want to determine if these phones can serve as a modem to my computer.
Norm,

You will find they don't support tethering, so you will be limited to the limited WAP browser in the phone..

- Frank
Old 10-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #5

SUN #292
Tethering

Frank,
Before we had Verizone wireless broadband we used to use our Samsung phone to tether our computer. (For those who don't know, tethering is using your phone to connect to the internet.)

I'm not an expert in this area and seek advice. I did find that you can tether a Motorola Razr cell phone, one of the phones offered by Straight Talk though I have not tried it yet. The following You Tube site gives some tips.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:00 AM   #6

SUN #549
frank
Re: Tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda03842
Frank,
Before we had Verizone wireless broadband we used to use our Samsung phone to tether our computer. (For those who don't know, tethering is using your phone to connect to the internet.)

I'm not an expert in this area and seek advice. I did find that you can tether a Motorola Razr cell phone, one of the phones offered by Straight Talk though I have not tried it yet. The following You Tube site gives some tips.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #7

SUN #292
Over ride

Tethering is not technically kosher with many phones but possible non-the-less. I know people that tether their Iphones. As long as you don't exceed 5GB a month everything seems to be OK, i.e. the carrier ATT seems to remain unconcerned.

For example it is not legal to tether the Blackberry on Verizon without paying Verizon addtional fees, yet many people do it. The software is available for a small charge on line.

I haven't tethered my BB phone yet though I doubt I would feel much guilt considering I'm already paying a healthy amount every month to Verizon.

We presently have Verizon BB Wireless with unlimited data; newer plans are limited to 5GB. We find this a very satisfactory plan though expensive. We have a wireless router for the broadband that allows up to 5 users.

Actually though we wre on-line many hours a day with two computers we rarely exceed 500MB per month.

Though we find Verizon expensive our on the road schedule means that we have no cable internet or TV at home or land line phone service, We use cell phones, Satellite TV and verizon wireless for Internet.

I will say Verizon works well, their 3G network is virtually every where. During our 8000 mile loop of the USA we were never out of touch with Verizon 3G, even when camped way out in the Dakota badlands.

It's an interesting area with rapid changes occuring. We all definitely need to keep our eyes open for new value solutions to fight the falling value of the dollar and the corresponding inflation caused by the fall. As an example the recent rising prices of fuel is caused by the intentional weakening of the dollar's value.

Sharing our value finds will help us all camp longer aqnd more frequently.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #8

SUN #115
emam
Norm, does this mean the Straight Talk plan also offers a Boradband card, or do you have to use the phone to get on the internet?

I'd be interested in that $45 plan, because our Verizon bill is pretty high each month

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #9

SUN #292
I haven't bought one yet though I intend to once Christmas is out of the way. As best as I can tell from reading, the plan uses the Verizon Network and the phone has broadband capability as a standalone, much like many Verizon phones. I have not determined if it can interface to the computer.

My Verizon Blackberry can serve as a modem for my computer. You can buy the functionality from Verizon or you can buy the software for $39 and avoid Verizon's monthly charges to use your Blackberry as a 3G modem. It seems that Verizon does nothing to block it as long as your usage is not beyond 5Gbytes per month.

The Smartphone does not claim modem ability however I suspect there's some software you can download to add the functionality. I plan to see if the software exists.

I need to study it more but certainly the service seems good when I read the on line reviews. Some people complain that they do not offer fancy phones like the BBerry but phones are a relative thing, changing so fast that last month's phone is replaced by more feqatures next month.

Our Verizon bill, two phones on the family plan, one a blackberry, texting, and a wireless broadband card with unlimited data - it adds up. We now also have a router for our BB card to allow us to be both on line.

As I study the situation I'll post more but probably not until January. The following site has a lot of online Smartphone chatter.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...386089&page=15
Old 11-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #10

SUN #953
Ron & Alice
Is anyone aware of a phone we can use on both sides of the border, without costing a fortune??

Once we move out in January, no more landlines, no house, no bills, no nothing (yahoo!). Just might be fulltimers...
Ron & Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #11

SUN #597
henryj
We've had very little luck with 3 different phones over the years. The only one that worked well was a Bell pay as you go that I had set up with Bell to ding my credit card non-stop while we used it. It was for emergency use only and one time my son called because he hadn't heard from us for awhile, and whoa, what a bill

We have a Rogers pay as you go now with a $200 credit on it that is supposed to work in the US, but have yet to find a place it works. Mostly though we haven't been in the densely populated areas. It hasn't been to FL yet, so we'll find out there in March. With so many Canadians down there you'd think they'd have roaming agreements.

The only phones that work reliably are the high dollar business accounts that specifically include a US plan. When my son travelled he had a company Blackberry that just plain worked. When I called him, the first thing I said was, "Where are you?"

If it's any consolation, US companies are no better. My brother's phone either doesn't work in Canada or costs a fortune if he can roam. He just turns it off.

I can pick up my home phone and call anywhere in NA for 0.99 for 2 hr.! That our cell phones don't work in each other's countries is solely the fault of greedy corporations who think they are somehow protecting their turf.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #12

SUN #292
I know thre three solutions.

First you can get a phone that works internationally. This particularly good if you do not have high usage outside of the USA. Our Blackberry has ths ability.

Second you can get a phone that has wireless ability in addition to phone ability. In Canada at least you can get on wireless in all the little towns that we've been to visit and I'm sure there are even more opportunities in the cities. Once on wireless you can use a service like Skype (Internet Phone) and call anywhere in the world for a very small charge.

Third if you're phone doesn't have wireless (like the newer Blackberrys) you can use your laptop with wireless to get on Skype and again connect to anywhere.

I used to have a Verizon plan that included wireless calls in Canada but I don't think it's offered any longer.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #13

SUN #292
Skype to Skype calls are free.

Skype to landline or cellphones are $1.95 per month, not per call for the US and Canada.

Voice mail is inluded in $1.95.

http://www.skype.com/
Old 11-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #14

SUN #953
Ron & Alice
HENRY - we only pay $0.05/minute so that is even better than your plan. I don't hesitate to call anywhere in NA either.

NORM-- I forgot about Skype, so thank you. Our boater friends use it all the time, but it kinda sounds like a walkie-talkie, you have to pause in order to let the words catch up with you.

BIG help, thanks! We will probably head down without a phone for this year, and worry about it when we come back. After all, what on earth did we do in the dark ages: no TV, no cell phone, no emails, etc. We still have no TV or cel phone, lol.

Alice
Old 11-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #15

SUN #292
I came across this web site that describes one person's solution.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...pg2.html?cat=9
Old 11-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #16

SUN #292
http://b2b.vzw.com/productsservices/...idecanada.html

The Verizon site. You also might look into the Canadian side of this plan in terms of the company in Canada mentioned in the previous email to see what they offer.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #17

SUN #292
http://b2b.vzw.com/productsservices/...idecanada.html

The Verizon site. You also might look into the Canadian side of this plan in terms of the company in Canada mentioned in the previous email to see what they offer.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #18

SUN #953
Ron & Alice
Thanks again Norm. I will definitely check out Verizon to see if they offer the plan here or if this is something I would have to check out/organize in the US.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #19

SUN #292
AT&T

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...requestid=4305

AT&T has a national plan including the USA and Canada for $59 that provides 450 minutes of time a month plus another 1000 minutes of nites and weekends.

It also includes rollover so if you don't use all you minutes they carry over to the next month.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #20

SUN #292
"BIG help, thanks! We will probably head down without a phone for this year, and worry about it when we come back. After all, what on earth did we do in the dark ages: no TV, no cell phone, no emails, etc. We still have no TV or cel phone, lol."

We started off our travels nearly 10 years ago without most of what you mention but now we have 700 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, texting (good with the grand kids), high speed wireless for the our two computers, and satellite TV. We are gone a lot and we now recognize that we need to keep in touch, not just for our sake but for the 'others' sake who do apparently do miss us.

I suppose it's not just keeping in touch with our relatives and friends but also keeping in touch with the world via TV and the Internet. As well we use the Internet to email our travel log when we're on the move.

The computer is also good for pre-exploring our trip (and keeping in touch with our Sunline friends).

The Satellite TV is interesting because on our plan we get stations from both NY city and San Fancisco, giving us a national view. On top of that the web provides us access to nearly a dozen papers on my favorites list.

For years we had a single computer in our RV but it was unfair because I tended dominate usage. They are so inexpensive these days ($300 for a good computer) that it made sense to get two. I'm actually surprised how much Ginny uses her's.

As to the Phone we do have Verizon because it does have very good high speed coverage in the USA. AT&T has similar coverage but a lot less high speed coverage. Ginny uses most of our minuets by at least 2 to 1, and does most of the texting.

Of course we are dunces compared to our kids, grand kids and nieces and nephews when it comes to electronics. I'm sure it's impossible for us to catch up. It's kind of funny to have 5 year olds using my computer, getting on line and destroying me in any computer game.

One obvious advantage of computers is that it allows us to handle all our bills and banking via the computer. Without the computer life would be a little more difficult.

Like you we started off with a little electronics, partially because we were not sure we'd like RVing, but now we're fully loaded. I will say the last thing we would give up would be our RV. It is the traveling and good cheer, the new friends we've made, the neat places we've been - just a wonderful way to live.