Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #21

SUN #149
nasa42a
Ulp! I shouldn't do this, but I just can't resist!

==> Given Stan's profession, he's become the only known Sunliner whom we can't regard with suspicion for blowing his own horn!

Frank

nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #22

SUN #115
emam
Now that's Funny Frank!!

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #23

SUN #736
Stan47
1!!

You guys are picking on me, and I love the attention...

On a getaway type trip, I will take just one horn, to stay in practice. Specifically bought an old used horn, of good quality, to keep in the truck. (You never know when there's an opportunity to practice.) That horn actually survived the crash, and didn't even get any new dents! I have to upload a photo of it, 'cause it's one of the ugliest trumpets I have ever seen...

When we were snowbirding, it was a different story. I found a jazz society in Gulfport, MS that conducts a monthly jam session, so I wanted one particular trumpet to use for that, plus the cornet I was carrying at the time. That led to me being invited to sit in as lead trumpet with a rehearsal band. If I were to go back to the Gulf coast, I'd want to carry maybe three instruments. Now that I've joined the musician's union there'd be a good probability of finding work down there, especially during Mardi Gras.

We were in Mobile for Mardi Gras season, last trip south. I was invited to sit outside of an art gallery that was having its "first Thursday" show and reception, and play whatever came to mind. I picked up about $65 in tips.

But the bulk of the instruments I own are either fairly specialized, or duplicates I bought because they were cool, or I got a good deal. I have a tendency to haunt the pawn shops while we are traveling.

Miss Peggy on the other hand can't pass a bead shop without shopping for a few hours...
[/img]
Old 01-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #24

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan47
... My current job is bugler for veterans' funerals, ...
That made me think of the funeral of my neighbor accross the street several years ago. He was a Navy man from World War II and proud of his service and the Navy, a real veteran. I knew him for about 20 years before he passed away. His funeral was with full honors at the Veterans Cemetery. Despite the shortage of buglers locally there was someone there to play Taps. That sad day was warmed a bit by having someone there to honor the memory and service of my friend Mike with Taps. As the family was departing I had to take the time to find the bugler and say thanks, it meant a lot to have him there.

Stan, what you do is important to many people.

Gene

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #25

SUN #736
Stan47
Gene,

Compared to this work, I don't think anything else I have done in my life has the slightest bit of significance.

I am honored and blessed to have this job, and to be mentored (and managed) by the man who is considered the foremost authority on bugling, living or dead.

The men and women I work with daily are National Guard members, almost all young enough to be my children (if not grandchildren). It is a real privilege to know these people and be accepted as a part of their team effort.

My own army experience was 1969-72, the entire hitch spent stateside. While I did nothing to be embarrassed about, it was probably the most indistinguished service imaginable. This job provides me an opportunity to atone for that, and to feel that finally I am genuinely serving my country. It is humbling.

S
Old 01-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #26

SUN #778
Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Climate change

Norm,
Thanks for the link to Rutan at Oakosh!
Just watched the six segments.
Very intersting!
And Mark, I know what you mean. You were lucky to have 40 m². I grew up in an apartment of 36 m². Good thing my parents had only one child.
Roar
Old 01-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #27

SUN #953
Ron & Alice
Norm - we just arrived in Satsuma (south of Palatka). Where are you? Anybody close by?
Ron & Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:05 AM   #28

SUN #115
emam
Stan, in reply to you playing at Funerals, I was going to send you this as a PM, but I figured other members might get a kick out of it too

Bagpiper Funeral
As a bagpiper, I play many gigs.

Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a grave side service for a homeless man.

He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Kentucky back-country.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost; and being a typical man I didn't stop for directions.

I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight.

There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch.

I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late.

I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place.

I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.

The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around.

I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends.
I played like I've never played before for this homeless man.

And as I played 'Amazing Grace,' the workers began to weep.

They wept, I wept, we all wept together.

When I finished I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car.
Though my head hung low my heart was full.

As I was opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say,
"Sweet Mother of Jesus, I never seen nothin' like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

Ok, thought you'd get a kick out of that...LMAO

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #29

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Concerned

Today, the second warm day in a couple of weeks, we were working on our Hot Water heater.

The week before Christmas it started leaking, water running out the bottom of the rear corner of the trailer. Between my bout with the flu and the cold water we just by-passed it.

Yesterday with the warm weather I pulled it out and applied some JB Weld to the obvious hole. A pressure water test this morning has shown it's working.

While re-installing today, a neighbor stopped by. She said she was so glad it warmed up because she was concerned about us living in such close quarters, a nice enough thought but it makes me wonder about others because we never think about it.

Hooray for J.B. Weld $5 versus $250 for a new hot water heater.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #30

SUN #736
Stan47
Cindy, I have heard that joke a few times but it always makes me chuckle.

BTW, my nephew plays the bagpipes, and does a lot of funerals.

I guess it runs in the family. My mom's father and uncle were superintendents for a cemetery, and lived on the premises. Mom lived there from the age of one or two to age 17, when she got married. My uncle James lived at the other end of the property until his death in the early 70s. And my first job was at that place.

By his own telling, my dad was quite a hell-raiser with the ladies before he met Mom. They were introduced by a mutual friend, as a blind date. I never had the opportunity to ask him, but I'd love to know what was going through his mind when he went to pick her up for the first time, at the cemetery gatehouse...
Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #31

SUN #953
Ron & Alice
WOW, very interesting subject. Norm & Pat, I definitely agree that bigger is not always better. We lived for years in our 32-ft boat, and now live contently in our 26-ft tt. And Ron & I have always been close, amazing both our families & friends. Every business Ron had, I worked right alongside him. About the only place we don't go together is 'window' shopping and that is more than ok.

How many couples do you see that are sitting across from each other at the table, and they have nothing in common to talk about? But, how many are also comfortable with the silence as well? You really do have to like each other to live this lifestyle.

Ron & Alice is offline   Reply With Quote