Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #1

SUN #2265
shirleybird is an unknown quantity at this point
New Tires

We have a 2007 T2753 TT that we are going to purchase 4 new Maxxis tires for. I am currently running tires that are ST205/75R with a C load rating. Looking at maybe increasing to a D load rating. We have the black star aluminum 15x5 rims. Over the phone, both the Treadit company we bought the rims from and the local dealer we are buying the tires from say it will work. What are your thoughts. This purchase is going to cost me a fortune. I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money.

Thanks for all of your input.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
I upgraded the 'C' rated tires on my utility trailer, with 'D' rated ones. I had to move the trailer's fenders for clearance. It was a tight squeeze already and the bigger tires wouldn't clear.

If you have plenty of room, I see no reason not to upgrade!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
According to this chart, M8008 ST Radial Look under spec's

Maxxis does make a 205/75R15 D range tire that is the same OD as the 205/75R15 C range tire. Both are listed as 27.1" OD

That for sure is something to verify as the low ridding Sunlines do not have excess fender clearance.

The D's are also 65psi tires. I'm making an assumption that your rims are rated for 65psi? Yes/No?

If you do get the upgrade request high pressure valve stems. They really do not cost much if anything more then the standard stems but are a better stem. They look like this. See the long brass stem verses the standard all rubber on the outside.

I'm also assuming you know to request that all tires are ideally 6 months or less old and no older then 1 year. You can see the dates on the DOT code. They have no problems selling you 2 or 3 year old tires as new if you do not ask. You may have to wait a few days but it's worth the wait.

Now to upgrade to D's or not. Taking your camper to the scale and getting an actual axle weight is a good thing to do. Then you know what load your putting on the tires and how much safety cushion you have. The good news is Sunline would build the camper using the axles, springs and tires to be able to hold the entire GVWR of the TT. Not all TT makers do this. The tongue is held by the truck so it you are staying at or under the TT GVWR you should not run out of tire capacity providing your evenly loaded enough left to right and your towing close to level.

Now do you add the extra safety cushion of D range? If you rims can take the pressure/load and the OD checks out then in your case it comes down to the extra dollars of the C to a D. The C's have a total load capacity of 7,280# and the D's 8,600. So your gaining an additional 1,320# on all 4 tires or 330# per tire. If your camper loaded come in at say 6,500# and the tongue is 13% or 845# as a estimate then that leaves 5,655# on the TT tires. On the C's you have now that would be 1,625# total or 406# extra per tire if left to right loading was equal which it is not. Going to a D will bring you up from 406# to 736# safety cushion per tire close to almost double. On paper it looks like a good upgrade. Then the question is will a tire pressure monitor system on the C range gain you a similar safety upgrade? Good question.

OK what is the price difference between C and D? After looking at it on the weights the difference in price may be easier justified or not.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 AM   #4

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
"OK what is the price difference between C and D? After looking at it on the weights the difference in price may be easier justified or not".

Was that a definite maybe? LOL!
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote