Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #1

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New Sunline Owner!

Now the proud owner of a 2005 T-1950.

Picked it up in Midland, drove it 2 hours back home. Never pulled before and even though I have plenty of truck for it (Diesel) it pulled very well. Stopped to get some cider on the way back and had to back it up too, in a tight spot! YEAH me!

HERE IT IS in my driveway. Now I have to figure out what to do with it! I want to clean interior immediately because I plan on possibly painting inside and re-doing the interior ( I am sorry but where DO they get the material they use )

I thought I would just pull it closer to the garage and plug it in but I know it needs to be level and it isn't now so I need to get some boards and chocks

How long can I leave it where it is? Two days at max since you can see its not level and slopes backward somewhat

However for winter I thought I would just keep in in my drive close to the garage as I have the room

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #2

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats on your new to you Sunline!!!

I'm sure some of the guys will be chiming in about the leveling bit....or maybe Kitty - I understand she has quite a slope in her driveway as well!

Not sure what color interior you have but is it really that bad???

I always went for the "earth tones" rather than the blues or greens and thought they looked relatively nice.....what color is your interior? pic please!!!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #3

SUN #1546
Thank you!

It's that "Southwestern" material HERE are a bunch of pictures I took when I first went up to look at it

I want to paint the interior a creamy light golden yellow and re-do the interior in kinda of a Retro theme Michael Miller has some great retro "trailer" fabric and the Fruit Ladies (yup) have some really neat fabric too.

I have a friend that is a wonderful seamstress and I want her to do a slipcover for the couch. Will recover or possible take down some of the window valances. I would love to redo the floor with wood flooring, surplus from a company here but I am afraid it would be too pricey and a really big job to boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
Congrats on your new to you Sunline!!!

I'm sure some of the guys will be chiming in about the leveling bit....or maybe Kitty - I understand she has quite a slope in her driveway as well!

Not sure what color interior you have but is it really that bad???

I always went for the "earth tones" rather than the blues or greens and thought they looked relatively nice.....what color is your interior? pic please!!!

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 10-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #4

SUN #93
Joan just a FYI - link to photos is not working....and I think your interior is Autum Sunset!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 10-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Congrats Joan on the new camper!!! Very nice. New campers are always good times.

On the leveling, there are a few ways to do this and many of us do it slightly different. All are OK for the most part.

In my case I went the 2 x 8 route. Cut them short enough so they can slide in-between the 2 tires then back up on them. I have 3/4", thick and 2 sets of 2 " nominal 2 x 8's which measure 1 1/2" thick. Much higher then that, find a different site. LOL

I also went the wood chock route and it works when the camper is up high or low to the ground. And for sure the TT is not going anywhere. You will drag the camper before they slip.

Some do the plastic lego blocks, some do 2 tire long boards. And for chocks there is a wide range on how to block the wheel from moving too.

This is just the beginning.... but it is all good and fun. You do not have to get everything at once and don't worry where you put it. No matter how hard you think you have put things in just the right spot, some how a year from now you will have rearranged the camper at least 3 times.... LOL

You for sure have a good truck there. I remember that body style well. Is that an 89 Chevy 2500?

Happy Camping

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #6

SUN #763
MOKID
Congrats on your new to you purchase. We have had the exact same trailer for the past 2 years. We purchased it in Warren MI and it was a 1300 mile round trip but it has served us well. Your driveway doesn't look that bad from side to side so you will be able to level it front to back pretty easy. The first thing I did was add a couple of level bubbles on the tongue. You may want to check the threads here on How to Winterize your trailer. Hope you have many great trips.
2014 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x4 Eco Boost
2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Motorhome
MOKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #7

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
Joan just a FYI - link to photos is not working....
Yes, I tried too and it only came to the same 2 pics of the camper in your drive way.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #8

SUN #1546
Try this link Picasa Web Albums - J Fab - 2005 Sunline ...

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 10-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #9

SUN #89
OK that link works. WOW very nice and in great shape by looking at the pic's.

Have fun

John

Old 10-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #10

SUN #1546
Thank you.....Truck is a 1997 Sliverado Turbo Diesel in cherry condition. It only has 112,000 on it. It handles very well.

A TN truck I bought it from the second owner an evangelist who travels to different churches and pulled a fifth wheel. He treated like his baby.

When I did research about this Diesel I found out the biggest potential problem was the injectors and he had replaced them, two new batteries also.

He sold it because he bought an even bigger Open Road 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Congrats Joan on the new camper!!! Very nice. New campers are always good times.

On the leveling, there are a few ways to do this and many of us do it slightly different. All are OK for the most part.

In my case I went the 2 x 8 route. Cut them short enough so they can slide in-between the 2 tires then back up on them. I have 3/4", thick and 2 sets of 2 " nominal 2 x 8's which measure 1 1/2" thick. Much higher then that, find a different site. LOL

I also went the wood chock route and it works when the camper is up high or low to the ground. And for sure the TT is not going anywhere. You will drag the camper before they slip.

Some do the plastic lego blocks, some do 2 tire long boards. And for chocks there is a wide range on how to block the wheel from moving too.

This is just the beginning.... but it is all good and fun. You do not have to get everything at once and don't worry where you put it. No matter how hard you think you have put things in just the right spot, some how a year from now you will have rearranged the camper at least 3 times.... LOL

You for sure have a good truck there. I remember that body style well. Is that an 89 Chevy 2500?

Happy Camping

John

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 10-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #11

SUN #93
very clean .......I know that we very rarely traveld with a TV when we had the 1950 and I used that TV shelf as extra counter space.....another thing we did was make shelves for the closet just above that swing arm - the closet over by the sink was big enough for any HANGING clothes we took - so made a fran=me to fit inside the closet with pins loccated and made shelves.....worked great - when we sold the 1950 we gave the "frame work and shelves" to Paul & Sherry - I think they still use them.

Good luck with the trailer and Happy Camping!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 10-19-2010, 06:30 AM   #12

SUN #213
Diane is an unknown quantity at this point
Congratulations on the 1950!! It's a great unit and I'm sure you will enjoy it very much. It is so easy to tow and such a nice layout.

BTW, the 2199 at Leo's has a "sale pending" on the website.
Former 2011 North Trail & 2014 Open Range
Current 2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #13

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Nice unit! When I first started reading your thoughts about redoing the various interior things, I figured it was a case of the unit having been trashed by previous owners. Well those photos tell a much different story don't they. It looks about new frankly, and so I wonder what's causing this redo idea...or is it just something your driven to do because you can...

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Joan,

WOW, that is a really clean looking Sunline. I'm with you, that is not my choice of fabric. But, like you said it "can" be changed.

OK, parking your Sunline so it's level. Well, first off, are you planning to keep in in your driveway ? "IF" so, I am guessing that you will be backing it in, and by looking at your one pic, I think that once you back in and disconnect from your truck, you will be able to lower the tongue jack enough to have it sit pretty level. But, photos can be deceiving.

It also looks like you will need a different hitch, as your pic shows the trailer nose high.

Once you tell us a little more parking & hitch info we'll have you all set to roll or park

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #15

SUN #1546
Just want it to be "me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodoleBob View Post
Nice unit! When I first started reading your thoughts about redoing the various interior things, I figured it was a case of the unit having been trashed by previous owners. Well those photos tell a much different story don't they. It looks about new frankly, and so I wonder what's causing this redo idea...or is it just something your driven to do because you can...

Bob

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 10-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #16

SUN #1546
ok my friend has a big pole barn with cement floor so I'll store it there.

I tried to back it into my driveway but gave up and a friend did it for me
So I sat and watched him while he did it. I was over steering

The dealer installed the new hitch and ball for me. The one I had was too high. The one the dealer installed is a Class 3 Husky with a 6" drop and a 4-3/4 " rise

Also when trying to back it up into my driveway the sliding table came off the glide. It was off when I looked at it and they "fixed" it.

I think they tried to fix it by bending out the glide slightly to put the casters back in instead of unscrewing the whole rail which I did and used my pliers to squeeze glide back into place. At least I think that is the problem and hopefully it's not a problem with the unit itself that it comes off the glide easily!

Also the service guy went so fast I can not remember everything he said about how to run things. I did Flip camera most of the walk through however I don't know "how to" turn the furnace on? I looked in the owner's manual and furnace manual but it doesn't tell you how to operate it?

Does the pilot light need to lit every time? There is an little plastic piece at the top of fixture that states "Off" but it can't be moved?

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 10-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #17

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
apackoftwo,

First, congratulations on your "new" Sunline! It is a very clean looking coach (although I'm not too fond of that material either). Do you plan to replace the chair?

We "froze" at the Midwest M&G last year because we couldn't find anything in the manual showing how to light the furnace (no need to). Your Sunline is newer than ours, so I doubt that you need to light a pilot either. In the morning we told Sunline Fan we were heading to Walmart for a small heater. He came over and slid the little tab on the botttom of the wall thermostat. Viola!, we had heat. The tab doesn't slide easily--it "clicks" over. Be sure to turn it to "off" when not using heat. Ours is off to the left and on to the right.

We had a tent before the Sunline and had never towed before. My brother was a great help in that area. He took us to the state park (it was pretty much closed for the season) and had my husband and I take turns backing into the sites while they where empty. Then we went to the beach parking lot at the other end of the park and he had me back it in between the lines (narrower than the campsite pad). I've been doing all the towing for 3 years now. I'm sure you'll do fine after some practice. The best tips I got were to take it slow, and steer from the bottom of the wheel (if the trailer needs to go to the left, move the bottom of the steering wheel to the left).

May you enjoy your Sunline for many years!
clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #18

SUN #1546
My "OFF" tab is on the top. The temperature regulator is at the top. The "OFF" will not budge. I have pushed, pulled and even used my key to try to push it and it will not budge
It's kinda flimsy plastic and I am afraid I will break it

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 10-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #19

SUN #1546
Here is a picture of the thermostat

"OFF" switch is at the top, can't budge it. Pushed, pulled, even used by key to try and it won't budge. I am afraid I will break it

I can slide the bottom temp setting at the bottom but not the "OFF" tab at the the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless campers View Post
apackoftwo,

First, congratulations on your "new" Sunline! It is a very clean looking coach (although I'm not too fond of that material either). Do you plan to replace the chair?

We "froze" at the Midwest M&G last year because we couldn't find anything in the manual showing how to light the furnace (no need to). Your Sunline is newer than ours, so I doubt that you need to light a pilot either. In the morning we told Sunline Fan we were heading to Walmart for a small heater. He came over and slid the little tab on the botttom of the wall thermostat. Viola!, we had heat. The tab doesn't slide easily--it "clicks" over. Be sure to turn it to "off" when not using heat. Ours is off to the left and on to the right.

We had a tent before the Sunline and had never towed before. My brother was a great help in that area. He took us to the state park (it was pretty much closed for the season) and had my husband and I take turns backing into the sites while they where empty. Then we went to the beach parking lot at the other end of the park and he had me back it in between the lines (narrower than the campsite pad). I've been doing all the towing for 3 years now. I'm sure you'll do fine after some practice. The best tips I got were to take it slow, and steer from the bottom of the wheel (if the trailer needs to go to the left, move the bottom of the steering wheel to the left).

May you enjoy your Sunline for many years!

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 10-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #20

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by apackoftwo View Post
My "OFF" tab is on the top. The temperature regulator is at the top. The "OFF" will not budge. I have pushed, pulled and even used my key to try to push it and it will not budge
It's kinda flimsy plastic and I am afraid I will break it
Joan

Does your thermostat look like this? The thing that says Duo therm on it?

If so to turn the furnace on

• Turn one at least 1 LP tank.
  • Make sure the change over regulator is pointing to the tank you turned on.
  • Make sure the power is on the camper or at least that the battery is turned on. It runs on 12 Volts DC.
  • Make sure the "Fan" is on "Auto"
  • Then slide down the switch that says "System" to the "heat" position.
  • Slide the temperature slider to a temp hotter then it is in the camper.

The furnace should start. If your thermostate does not look like that take a pic and post

Hope this helps

John

Tags
2005 1950, michigan, new owner, october