Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #1

SUN #382
Mooney
New England Area camping shows

Here's a couple months of upcoming shows here near Boston (probably incomplete)....

Jan. 18-21 Bayside Exposition Center www.bostonrvexpo.com

Feb 8 - 9 and 10th. Gillette Stadium New England RV and Camping Show

Feb 15, 16, 17, and 18. Springfield Expo (Big E)

Feb. 22, 23, and 24th. Worcester Camping Show at the DCU in Worcester

Feb. 29, Mar 1 and 2. Providence, RI (at the Rhode Island Convention Center (NOT the Dunkin' Donuts Center) http://macevents.com/show.cfm/eventID/102

Kelly and I will probably make it to at least the Boston one (maybe Providence too). Lots of chances to see the new stuff (and save up for anything expensive ).

'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #2

SUN #492
GhettoMedic
Re: New England Area camping shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney
Here's a couple months of upcoming shows here near Boston (probably incomplete)....

Jan. 18-21 Bayside Exposition Center www.bostonrvexpo.com

Feb 8 - 9 and 10th. Gillette Stadium New England RV and Camping Show

Feb 15, 16, 17, and 18. Springfield Expo (Big E)

Feb. 22, 23, and 24th. Worcester Camping Show at the DCU in Worcester

Feb. 29, Mar 1 and 2. Providence, RI (at the Rhode Island Convention Center (NOT the Dunkin' Donuts Center) http://macevents.com/show.cfm/eventID/102

Kelly and I will probably make it to at least the Boston one (maybe Providence too). Lots of chances to see the new stuff (and save up for anything expensive ).

Greg, what day are you going to the Boston one?? I may go on Sunday

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...9/mycamper.jpg
GhettoMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #3

SUN #382
Mooney
Saturday. The traffic on the highways will be something to avoid on Sunday due to the Pats game, especially where I live. It would ruin all the fun for me to get stuck in game traffic for hours...

You would have it much better than I on Sunday due to your proximity to I90 (plus, it's a 3 pm game- I know where my cold beer and I will be ).
Old 01-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #4

SUN #492
GhettoMedic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney
Saturday. The traffic on the highways will be something to avoid on Sunday due to the Pats game, especially where I live. It would ruin all the fun for me to get stuck in game traffic for hours...

You would have it much better than I on Sunday due to your proximity to I90 (plus, it's a 3 pm game- I know where my cold beer and I will be ).
Also don't forget I work on the bus on Saturday, if trolling around downtown look for me.
https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...9/mycamper.jpg
GhettoMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #5

SUN #379
2beagles
We'll be at the Boston show on Sunday.

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
2beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #6

SUN #382
Mooney
OK, just got home from the show. It WAS our first, and nothing like I expected.

It was billed as an "RV and Outdoor Expo". Try a "RV, REI (had a full priced retail setup in the middle, and ONE overpriced RV accessory dealer" show. To be fair, there was a tent setup WAY in the farthest corner from the door selling Honda gensets (NICE!), some campgrounds trying to get folks to sign up, and the Good Sam group was there selling 2 year memberships for $24 (we signed up- seemed like a good deal if only for the magazine), and they offered their road service for $79 per year (we did not sign up).

Not much at all in the way of accessories, and lots of Class A's (some B's and C's) for sale.

Lots of 5'ers too.

A bunch of TT's, and many popups.

One vendor making routered signs from wood for good prices...

Mostly $75-100K and up Class A's though (or at least that's what it felt like).

NOTHING to compare to our Sunline. As one of the posters in the "going to an rv show" said, the chemical smell in SO many of the trailers (most by major players too) was so bad I couldn't stay in them long enough to take a second breath.

A few of the campers had neat things, and the class A's were, as normal, a bit over the top.

There were some of the new wedge-front campers, those were cool- but really nothing was THAT outstanding.

The disturbing things I disliked the most:

$12 parking. The lot is not owned by the people who own the expo center (for whatever reason). Seems a lot.

Children being encouraged by their parents to play with the pedals and buttons on the Class A rigs (compounding the air brakes, hitting the air horns repeatedly, going after the "big yellow button", etc.) I was not so pleasant when I asked the stuck up snot (the parent of one of the worst brats) how she was going to pay for the brake system if her kid blew it up (she had already said she couldn't afford the camper) form compounding the brakes (after the sales rep had asked her to remove said anklebiter from the driver's seat). She got huffy until another guy said I was right....

"NEW" campers being sold as show specials (only a couple G's off retail) with OBVIOUS (pretty major) damage (dents, a whole side beaten up on one, and the "best" was a trailer that had the rubber roof edge torn up- the sales puke was trying to sell that one to an older couple that didn't have a clue- saying that it was in perfect shape, yadda yadda yadda...which it looked like if you weren't standing on the stairs of the one across the aisle. They were eating it up....
Was it bad I showed them? Well, maybe for the salesperson... but my karma and self-image escaped intact. How I was brought up, you just don't let that happen.

The HEAT. Oppresively hot in there. Seemed like it was around 75 degrees. If you go, LEAVE YOUR COAT IN YOUR CAR. No place I saw to check your coat.

The scoop:
$12 to park, $10 to get in (with a coupon).

Leave your coat behind, and don't expect to shop for accessories. There aren't many there.

Some neat things to look at, but not a ton- the neat ideas were pretty standard and you can see them for free at your local dealer.

If you are looking for a 5'er or a self-contained- you may find a deal. Most of the regular TTs were kinda cheap seeming....

Good date with your S.O., but just kinda so-so for me.

We'll see what the Foxboro show brings in a couple weeks....

Later,

Greg
Old 01-21-2008, 06:55 AM   #7

SUN #379
2beagles
We were there yesterday, and I have to agree with you on most things Greg. It wasn't all that crowded because of the Patriots game.
I think the dealers were getting desperate. We talked to Ed, the sales person who sold us our rig, and he said sales were horrible. The only people who were buying were the ones who came in with the intention to buy. Otherwise there was nothing. The Boat Show last weekend was the same way. Apparently it's a combination of gas prices and the uncertain economy. People are holding on to any extra income.
He pointed us to the Silvertop sunroom booth where his ex Suline rep was working. Unfortunately he was'nt there when we got to the booth. I was really interested in talking to him.
There was nowhere near the amount of campers at the show this year as there's been in the past. Last year, we walked thriugh a bunch of half million dollar Class A's, and this year we saw one! There was actually empty space in areas of the floor. Even the accessory displays were smaller. Camping World's accessories were pitiful. Just a bunch of small stuff and lots of sewer supplies. I would have bought an electric tongue jack if there had been one on sale. There was a catalogue page of one displayed for full price.
We liked the layout of a couple of trailers, but the quality was horrible. On the way home we agreed that we'd stick to Sunlines for as long as we can. There's just nothing comparable out there. We're just spoiled now.
One thing that really stood out though was the fact that these dealers are trying to push these rigs, and it's darned near impossible to find a brochure on any of them. I realize that they cost money, but they're trying to sell campers for a lot of money! Give away some brochures!
Somehow I think the Gilette show is gonna be the same. There may be some dealers from Connecticut, but most everyone was there in Boston.
It was still fun though. We just like looking at campers.
BTW, that Montana 5'er is HUGE! No wonder you see so many of them on the road.

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
2beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #8

SUN #382
Mooney
I know that MacDonald's (from Plainville where we got ours) will be in Foxboro. The owner said they gave up on Boston due to time and cost/ benefit....

If anyone's around looking, they still have a couple Sunlines left- I'm sure they want them gone- the show may be a good time to speak with them.

Greg