Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #1

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
My awning gave me a BIG surprise

Hello Sunline Friends,
Today I opened up the awning for the first time. I wanted to see the pattern on the fabric and just use the mechanism to assure good operation.
I let it stay open in the beautiful afternoon sun, and eventually decided to close it up. That's when the surprise came. Please note I do know how to use the typical RV awning as I've had an RV for near twenty years now. So I grabbed the metal rod in hand and went to the control switch and flipped it to the raise position and noticed the rolling action wanted to really get moving so I grabbed it to stop it's rotation and study for a few second to see if there was something different about this awning mechanism. All looked normal so I started to walk over to the center to grab hold of the strap as is my usual habit when raising an awning, and I typically rest my hand on the tube to prevent it from running up until I can get the rod hooked into the strap loop. Well this awning was under SO MUCH SPRING TENSION that it just absolutely flew up and slammed hard against the trailer with a loud crash. I could not stop it from happening either it was THAT POWERFUL. I'm not a little ole man either. I'm strong as an ox and yet the rotaional force of that awning assembly was overpowering. Well I unfurled it again and checked to see if anything had been damaged. All looked fine thank goodness. But the incredible tension is still there and I had to have my wife flip the switch as I held the strap loop with the rod hook to prevent it from getting away again. This is now a two person job!!! I never had such a bad time with an awining before. I have no clue what's going on with this awning. Who can help me?

Bob

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Bob,

When I had an awning that did that, I ended up sliding the strap to the end of the tube so I could use one hand to hold the tube down while I used the other hand to flip the latch. Then I was able to slide the strap back towards the center and let the awning wind up. I actually remember that awning staying "rolled" tighter during travel than others, and it also got less moisture inside of it. Not sure if you could try this approach or not. I pretty much use the same procedure now on the 2499.

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:37 AM   #3

SUN #21
donreitz
I'm with Kitty on this. Slide the black nylon strap to the end with the latch and FIRMLY hold onto it as you release the latch. Slowly let out the strap so the roller slowly takes up the awning. Works every time.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #4

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Thanks Kitty & Don,
So your both basically saying I need to get use to an extremely tight sprung awning. Gee I was hoping for some sort of little known adjustment procedure that I could use to "normalize" it's tension. Well I will use your technique or else my DW will have to help each time. It's nearly as aggressive as a mouse trap mechanism...almost scary.

Thank you!

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:08 AM   #5

SUN #62
rich2500
I do the same as don and kitty,I agree these awnings do have a good deal of tension on them.
01 F-250 V-10 4x4 Lariat supercab SB auto 4:30 LS
draw-tite 1200# trunnion wd,friction sway control,prodigy
happy camping Rich,Maryellen,Josh and Jake
https://www.campingpa.com/
rich2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Bob

Yes, the recoil action is, well "fast"......

This is hard to describe in words but I will give it a shot. Coming down is easy as you know. Now to go up.

(This is somewhat what Kitty is saying but a few more things)

This starts from having the side arms already collapsed and the roller down to the lowest height ready to roll up. Like 4 feet off the ground.

1. Slide the black strap to the end where the roller release latch is.

2. First you need to flip the release latch, again which is heavily preloaded from all that force. I use my right arm and push down on the awning roller. I make a cradle in the fabric to the roller. This takes that massive force off the flip latch. Now the latch flips with 1 finger.

3. Now you have to hold it down or it will fly up in a heartbeat. Since I had my right arm holding the tube down when I released the latch, I keep holding it down and now scoot me and the black strap towards the middle.

4. Once in the middle I now transfer from my arm holding the tube down to holding the strap.

5. No under my control I easily let the roller tube roll up under control. My 2004 is low enough I do not use the awning rod. I'm a 6 foot guy and can reach it. Your 2006 is about 2 inches taller and might just be out of reach. May have to use the rod.

6. When I get about 6 to 8 inches from all the way up, I can let it go in 1 last quick wind up to keep it tight.

Trust me until you do this a few times, it is almost rocket science.... or at least it feels that way.

My biggest issue was the spring latch. Until I figured out to push down on the roller to take the pressure off, I swore I was going to break something. I knew there had to be an easier way. Duh, just push on the tube and unload it.

We all learn.

Hope this helps.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote