Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #1

SUN #26
jeevee
Mouse (or mice) in my Sunline

Took my Sunline out this weekend for a quick 1 night getaway. I had not been in the traielr for 2 weeks and was shocked when I opened the drawers to see chewed up insulation and mouse droppings. It was in all of the drawers and lower cabinets. What do people do to keep mice out? I shineda flashlight into all the spaces on the floor that I could see, and no mouse and no mouse nest. Help! It is so gross!

Old 08-21-2006, 08:09 AM   #2

SUN #19
Sunline1
Jeevee,

Can't say for sure it works. I put clothes dreyer sheets in some of the draweres in my camper. I also put moth balls in some old socks, on top of the tires on my camper. I have read about these items somewhere. All I know is I haven't seen any droppings etc. in my camper.
Good luck.

2002 Sunline model T-2975 (large Bath)
Sunline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:59 PM   #3

SUN #21
donreitz
Here's what works for me. Make trays out of scrunched-up aluminum foil and add a small handful of mothballs in each one. Then place the trays in various compartments where mice are likely to hide. We started doing this over the winter after a pretty messy mouse attack one year. No more mice since then. When Spring arrives, simply fold up each tray and throw them out. You'll need to air out the unit thoroughly afterward.

Of course it goes without saying that you should remove edibles and anything else that might attract rodents from the unit before storing it.

Hope this helps.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:17 PM   #4

SUN #26
jeevee
Thank you everyone for the advice. This site is great! After fully inspecting the bottom of the trailer, my hubby and I could still not figure out how the mouse got in. We fully cleaned out the trailer and then when placing moth balls outside the trailer I happened to notice a small opening at the top of the right wheel well. We're sure that is how he (or she) got in. Tonight we will seal the hole and also see if the two traps we set got anything. Frankly, I kind of hope the traps are empty and the mouse simply moved on.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #5

SUN #391
Sun-n-Fun
Mouse Proofing

With cooler weather coming and not using our campers as much
we should mouse proof our campers for the season, Here's some of
my things I do.

First I seal all holes around water lines propane lines and
electric lines, and any other I can find. Like Storage compartments.

I have had good results using the expandable foam products, however
steel wool or other means can be used.

Remember a mouse can enter through any hole the size of a pencil
or more.

I always put my drain plugs in all my drains, kitchen and bath
room lavatory and shower/tub, This keeps the critters from getting
in through the vent pipes and crawling up the drains.

Also check your refrigerator vent and make sure it has a screen to keep
the critters out. Most have a screen but I find the screen has holes
big enough for the critters to enter.

Here's another hint but must be used with caution if you have pets.
I place mouse bait behind my drawers on the floor and under kit sink,
and one in back of the refrigerator vent door.and other places that
pets or children can get to!!!!.

Also I see many use moth balls with good results!!!

https://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3...net2261ry6.jpg
Sun-n-Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #6

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
I keep mouse baits (D-Con) AND ant baits in several places in the trailer year 'round:

1. In the cabinet space behind the lower drawers in the kitchen. (Remove drawer - insert baits way back - replace drawer.) I place several ant traps here as this is directly under the stove and sink area.

2. In the main electic cable compartment.

3. Under the bed in the master bedroom.

4. Under the couch in the storage area by the fresh water tank.

5. Way in the rear of the compartment under the bathroom sink. This is where we store extra rolls of TP, and mice just love that stuff for their nests.

All of these places are inaccessible to grandchildren and pets.

Where the main power cable exits the trailer, I place a piece of round pipe insulation over the cable so that it fills the opening. That stops (or at least slows down) mice getting in.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #7

SUN #128
Tweety
Mice can get anywhere! After camping in 100 degrees with no A/C this August I decided it was time to resurect the old Coleman Camp Stove. Got her out last weekend and started sanding the rust off. I noticed some blue fuzz coming out from between the crack around the edge where the silver top plate is attached to the bottom, so I unscrewed the burners. Lo and behold the blue fuzz was a mouse nest. Luckily there were no droppings or mice, just nice clean fuzz. Ooooo ick! Got it all cleaned up and painted it, so next time we need to cook dinner in 100 degrees we can do it outside on the picnic table!
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #8

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Year round Decon

I keep Decon in the out of the way spots, compartments, near tanks, under draw sets and so on. In seven years no mice. Mice eat and go outside to find water and die.

Norm Milliard
Old 09-10-2007, 06:57 AM   #9

SUN #4
sunlineclub
In my experience, the only way to keep mice out of your trailer to is prevent them from getting in. We keep our Sunline outside at a storage facility. Unfortunately, where our Sunline sits is right next to a small field along a railroad track. Heaven for mice... After fighting mice for a year and trying everything, we finally jacked up the trailer and found small holes in one of the wheel wells and then six months later another small hole where the black tank tubing exits the bottom of the trailer. No more mice since we fixed the holes. But we do keep a few mouse traps in the trailer just in case. I won't use the poison because I am a afraid a mouse will die somewhere inside the trailer that I can't get to.

Sarah
Old 09-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #10

SUN #254
Galaxiedriver
My favorite mouse eliminators are the wood Victor mouse traps with a dollop of peanut butter on the bait tab. This is deadly. These traps are very cheap, and last time I checked were still made in USA. When successful, which is nearly always if there is a mouse about, I just throw them away, dead mouse and all.

In the garages, I place/keep a packet of Havoc bait on the floor by each wheel but on the inboard side under the car, not outside the wheel. I have found that Havoc seems to work faster than D Con but can't say for sure. My brother the Vet says Havoc works faster.

If I see that a mouse has gotten inside the trailer or car, in go the traps with peanut butter.

www.62ford.com/registry

Galaxiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote