Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #1

SUN #501
grannytosix
More roof repair questions

Hi again,
I am still working on a way to repair my 1995 T2670 roof leaks that have caused damage under the bunk areas, water tank area and under part of the back bathroom floor. I have an RV repair guy coming next week to do a leak test as other campers at my campground thought this should be done to find out exactly where the leaks are. Cost is $307 (Canadian). Does this sound like a reasonable first step? Being a single granny with no trailer experience I am relying on advice from friends and campers at the campground. This guy then does roof leak repairs for $75 hr plus supplies. This is for patching I think not replacing the roof. I did go to an RV service place but they wanted to remove the trailer from its permanent site to repair it over the winter for a cost of approx. $5000!!!! way to much for this retired person.
Once the roof has been patched could the inside repairs be done by a carpenter...repairing the rotted wood, replacing the floors etc? Do the outside walls need to be opened up to do this or can it be done from the inside? If the roof has been patched professionally, do I still have to have the roof replaced?
I am way in over my head with this trailer, wondering where my sanity was when I bought it! Right now the only joy it is bringing me is that the grandchildren love coming to it.
Sharon

Old 07-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #2

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if the water has already caused interior damage to the walls and floors, paying someone to do the renovation work (unless it's a friend who doesn't require much in the way of income) would most probably exceed the value of the trailer. I'm speaking from experience (check the pics of my 1992 Solaris rebuild on my photobucket site in my signature). The only difference between you and me is that I did the work myself. Of course, I saved the labor cost outlay, but the lost time was priceless!
If the floor is not rotted to the point of being a hazard to walk on, you might just want to use it as it is. The mildew odor could be a problem, and if bad enough, you would then be dealing with a health issue. The big problem with rot from leaks is that it will most probably have affected areas that are buried within walls and flooring. To get to those areas means tearing out the interior walls, flooring and of course everything attached to them. Sunline cabinets etc, were screwed in from the outside before adding the siding, so to remove them means prying them away resulting in broken wall paneling. Removing the siding only will do nothing for changing interior paneling.
Either go as minimal as possible, or bite the bullet and have all the work that is needed done, but don't consider the cost as a factor. To pay an experienced carpenter to do it right, you would have to be left in a hole money-wise.
Rich

vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #3

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I see my usual picture is not coming up unless you click on the link to my photobucket site and that only brings up what used to be my signature picture, so check out this link:
Sunline restoration pictures by VCRT - Photobucket
vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote