Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #1

SUN #2190
bper1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lost Title for a Sunline Camper

Hello All,

I bought a used Sunline camper this year form an elderly couple and they didn't have a title for it. It was fine at the time because I didn't plan to move it far. Now I am trying to sell it and would really like to find one. Any ideas on where to start? They reside in NY and I live in PA

Thanks

Old 08-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
You may need to go to your DMV and get a new, replacement, title issued. In Rhode Island that would require an inspection by the local police department to verify the VIN and a bill of sale.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Definitely make sure you know the exact model year and VIN of your trailer before you try to apply for a title. Unlike cars/trucks, the VINs on these things can be anywhere and most police/DMV employees wouldn't know where to find them.

Like Gene said, a bill of sale is a good thing to have from them. Plus, if you have any problems, you may actually need the previous owner to come down to the DMV or police department with you in order to clarify everything for them.

If you need any help finding the VIN/model year, feel free to let me know.

If you still have issues getting a replacement title, you may have to go to the NY DMV with the previous owners and basically have them apply for a lost title but instead of issuing them a new one, they issue it to you instead.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #4

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration - Title Certificates and Vehicle Ownership

here is the link for replacing a title in New York, unfortunately the former owner will have to do it...........
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #5

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
I sold a mobile home over 8 years ago. When I sold the mobile the mortgage company took the title which I had signed. Now, after four other owners and eight years the current owner wants me to sign for a lost title since my name is still on the title so they can trade the home for a new one.

The problem is that the home does not have a lost title. The title is being held as collateral against the mortgage. If I filed for a lost title the mortgage company could sue me for taking property back and sue me for a large amount of money, theft and I could go to jail. I refused to file for the lost title so this latest owner is holding a mobile home that must stay where it is until the full loan is paid.

My post is to say that buying anything without proper documentation in risky financially. The innocent sellers that don't have a title could actually owe a balance on it and are just getting what they can and run. Filing for the title could mean you loose the camper or must pay the balance due to keep it. If it was stolen then you could be out money and camper.

It could be worth it to do some phone calling to see find the title and where it is registered. Hopefully the person you bought it from was the previous owner. Then maybe you can find out if there is a mortgage holder for the title. After all that then contact the person on the title to apply for a lost title, if they will.

Never buy anything without proper paperwerk. It can cost you more in the end.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #6

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Jim raises some very good points. When I bought my 2363 in Maine it was on consignment at a dealer lot. The previous owner had to pay off the balance and get the title released from the bank and sent to the dealer. I then took that title to RI where I had to have the local police department verify the VIN in 2 locations. The sticker on the outside was easy but we looked all over the camper for the second until I realized the paper glued to the closet door had the VIN. The RI DMV took all that paperwork and issued a new title. In RI whenever a registration changes hands a new title is issued.... for a hefty fee!

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:08 AM   #7

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gene, Fees keep our taxes low, LOLOL!

Glad you found the VIN.

jim

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote