Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-31-2008, 12:14 PM   #1

SUN #225
Mark
Looks like another expen$ive $ummer

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22919642/

Maybe worse than last year...

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:02 PM   #2

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gas Prices

Gas prices really turn out to be a small part of our travel costs. Last year we did a loop of the Unoted States from NH, to Seattle down the coast and back through the SouthWest, covering some 8000 miles. This amounted to 1000 gallons, or about $3000 or about $100 a week. This was in our 7.5MPG motorhome.

This spring we'll be towing our trailer through Newfoundland and Labrador, some 4000 miles and I expect to use about 200 gallons or spend about $700 over 10 weeks.

If we stayed home I'm sure we spend about half this much so I figure travel while we can.

Norm Milliard
2004 Honda CRV
1982 Sunline 15.5SB

Old 01-31-2008, 08:27 PM   #3

SUN #300
DF5.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
The price of gas/fuel is one thing. I would never try to put a price on the experiences we're giving out kids. We have a 12 year old daughter and an (almost) 8 year old son. They talk about our camping trips and vacations more than the Disney vacations we've been on.

1999 T-2970 Solaris SE
2007 Ford Expedition

DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 PM   #4

SUN #451
Sportsman Matt
I look at it this way, I bought my Truck and Truck Camper to go explore and enjoy camping . I figure I'll spend another $200 in gas versus last year to do the same trips I did last year . I look at it this way, if I worried about the price of gas too much, I wouldn't leave home even to go to work.

1989 Sunline C-750 Runabout
2002 GMC Sierra 1/2 Reg cab Long bed
4.3L V6 4 Spd Automatic 2WD
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #5

SUN #382
Mooney
As much as I hate to say it, driving is a choice. A somewaht necessary choice, but one nonetheless.

There are so many ways to save a few bucks to make up for the rising cost of fuel that it really isn't THAT bad (YET).

I have made back the money I spent on my bicycle within the first 4 months of owning it last year (too cold now for bike riding) in fuel costs alone. I use my bike pretty much for anything I need to take care of around town (providing it fits in a backpack); and it's cheap entertainment too....

It's funny, our cable provider, Comcast, has an office just down the street from where we live- it's actually CHEAPER to mail the bill in than it is to drive there and back (but free on my bike). I think it's 3 miles round trip, the gas alone (not fuel or wear and tear) is $.60
'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #6

SUN #115
emam
I agree that if you worry about prices of fuel, then you might as well sell the Sunline. Even if the cost of fuel doubled what it is now, we'd still be out here traveling. The memories and fun times we'll remember for the rest of our lives......Well you just cant put a price on that.

If we were to fly somewhere for a few weeks vacation, all in all, we'd spend the same amount if we were to drive there with the Sunline in tow. By the time you figure in airline costs and hotel expence, they always almot average out.

Just my two cents, or how we rationalize it to our ever thinning wallet...LOL

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote