Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #1

SUN #246
Janalee
Locked IN..

How about locking yourself IN ! Recently experienced this while camping...A friend came to visit and closed the door when she left. I realized I needed to give her something,tried to open the door and the handle fell down between the screen door and the door! There is a very small pin that holds the handle assembly together--it had slipped down and out causing the handle to fall apart! Thank heavens she was still onsite and rescued me as it DID work from the outside.There was no way for me to even retrieve it due to the screen door. I have a temporary fix right now awaiting more permanent measures to be taken. Janalee (presently a 1995 model 1950)

'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Janalee,

Glad things worked out. That can be scary.

Last year I had a friend get locked in her bathroom of her T264SR. Seems the bathroom door had a lock in it. Why in a camper??? But it came from Sunline that way even a pin key in the manual to unlock it....

She was by herself and was getting worried as hours were going by. She lives in a remote location and started yelling out the bath window. Finally a neighbor heard her and sent her husband up to see what was up. Fortunately the outside door was unlocked so he could get in and open the door for her. She did not have her keys with her either. She was at her house even... That bathroom lock was quickly replaced with a standard closet door handle.

It is a good plan to pre think how would get out of the camper in an emergency? Does yours have a larger emergency swing out window? The newer ones do, I do not know about the older ones.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Janalee,

Are you talking about the whole plate assembly with the grab handle and deadbolt toggle (held on with four screws), or just the actually flapper part that opens the latch? Either way, I've never heard of it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Last year I had a friend get locked in her bathroom of her T264SR. Seems the bathroom door had a lock in it. Why in a camper??? But it came from Sunline that way even a pin key in the manual to unlock it....
Doesn't the bathroom door have a toggle on the inside handle to turn to lock/unlock it? I think it is nice to have it lockable, but it seems weird that it couldn't be unlocked from the inside. I'm pretty sure mine is like that.

The '80s/'90s vintage use a latch system for the bathroom very similar to a pop-up door latch of the same vintage, except I think that is keyed. The Sunline bathroom door has a small metal pin sticking out above the latch on the inside, and it slides from one side to the other to lock/unlock. On the outside, there's a push button that opens the latch, and it has what looks like a key slot, but it isn't. It's just a shallow spot that you could put a screwdriver, knife, etc, and just turn it to release the latch. If you have a good grip, you can just grab the plastic button or push with your thumb carefully and turn it without tools.

Quote:
It is a good plan to pre think how would get out of the camper in an emergency? Does yours have a larger emergency swing out window? The newer ones do, I do not know about the older ones.
Most never did if they have two entry doors, but the older ones with a single door- there's a jalousie window that's actually an emergency exit too. In the case of both my 1550 and this 12 1/2' MC, the emergency exit window is on the ODS, in the back corner, opposite the door. The jalousie window unit operates as normal, but the frame is hinged and will release with a handle to swing out to the side. I should test this one and report with pictures, so people know how to operate it. It's a good idea to test these for good operation.

Now that I think about it, I do have the emergency exit on the 286SR, at the dinette window. Must be because of the slide, and distance to the entry door, that they needed to put one in. My 2251 and 286SR both had this style- a small jalousie/crank out on the side with a main escape window pane that hinged out.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #4

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Janalee,
I had the front door latch (paddle) fall apart at the Mid-West M&G several years ago (remember, Jon?). Fortunately, the 1997 T2363 had another entry door in the bedroom so I could get out. We were able to open the front door from outside, get the pieces and reassemble the latch. Glad your friend was still within hearing distance to rescue you.
clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #5

SUN #246
Janalee
Well, guys ..it is fixed..
***Yes Jon, it was just the "flapper" part with the pin that slid out..My brother took a stainless steel bolt,ground it down to size and replaced the faulty one that had no head on top to keep it in place.
***JohnB..I do have an exit window at the head of the bed..it would have to be one heck of an emergency for me to get out of it and then I would probably need help!!
And i am glad to hear I wasnt the only one to experience this!
****As for the 2363 model with 2 doors-- we managed to lock ourselves out of that one. Had the front door locked..went out the back door and didnt realize the latch on it was activated..Voila! Glad I had a key outside!
****Now a word of caution for 2653 owners. If you will take notice of the little window by the swivel chair and how close it is to the door latch--thats how we were broken into a few years ago.They broke the window and reached right in to unlock the door, all while we were in a restaurant staring at the "wrong" side of the camper! First thing I did when we got home was to attach a piece of white vinyl covered shelving on that window as a deterrent.(must have worked since it was the only occurrence..LOL!)Made me feel better anyway!
2002 Solaris T-2363
Old 07-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #6

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post

JohnB

Doesn't the bathroom door have a toggle on the inside handle to turn to lock/unlock it? I think it is nice to have it lockable, but it seems weird that it couldn't be unlocked from the inside. I'm pretty sure mine is like that.
I do not know what the original Sunline lock looked like. She had it changed out by the time I saw it. For whatever reason, the lock got jammed and she could not get out.

In our camper setup we have no normal locks on the bath door. With just Cindy and I, it is not an issue. And in general, why a lock in the bathroom of the camper? Who in the camper is going to come in on you? Does the bedroom have a lock? And in some floor plans, even a door?

Now that I think about it, our T310 "might" have some kind of flip lever in the sliding door. I know the flip is inside the bathroom side, cannot recall if it is outside. The clip only holds into 1/8" luan and I hope no one ever tests it as I will have to fix the holes in the wall.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:28 AM   #7

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless campers View Post
(remember, Jon?)
Hmm, no I don't! It kinda rings a bell now though, but still very fuzzy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janalee View Post
****Now a word of caution for 2653 owners. If you will take notice of the little window by the swivel chair and how close it is to the door latch--thats how we were broken into a few years ago.They broke the window and reached right in to unlock the door, all while we were in a restaurant staring at the "wrong" side of the camper! First thing I did when we got home was to attach a piece of white vinyl covered shelving on that window as a deterrent.(must have worked since it was the only occurrence..LOL!)Made me feel better anyway!
Ever since you had that happen, I've been cautious about leaving that window open when I leave, and the dinette too. It's easy to crawl through the dinette window, I remember doing it as a kid when I came back from the pool early. Those large patio windows are still my favorite part of the 2653, so I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Quote:
In our camper setup we have no normal locks on the bath door. With just Cindy and I, it is not an issue. And in general, why a lock in the bathroom of the camper? Who in the camper is going to come in on you? Does the bedroom have a lock? And in some floor plans, even a door?
I can see that. When I have my parents along, it's certainly nice to have, and if I had any company staying with as well. RV bathroom doors are usually naturally closed all the time, since there isn't the room to leave it open like a house bathroom door. So the lock just prevents surprises, especially with guests around.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #8

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
I can see that. When I have my parents along, it's certainly nice to have, and if I had any company staying with as well. RV bathroom doors are usually naturally closed all the time, since there isn't the room to leave it open like a house bathroom door. So the lock just prevents surprises, especially with guests around.
Good points. Thanks for explaining. Never had that situation come up but understand how it can. We all camp differently and all ways are good!

Thanks

John

Old 07-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #9

SUN #246
Janalee
To clarify---In this post of mine I meant I used a piece of vinyl coated WIRE shelving...

Now a word of caution for 2653 owners. If you will take notice of the little window by the swivel chair and how close it is to the door latch--thats how we were broken into a few years ago.They broke the window and reached right in to unlock the door, all while we were in a restaurant staring at the "wrong" side of the camper! First thing I did when we got home was to attach a piece of white vinyl covered shelving on that window as a deterrent.(must have worked since it was the only occurrence..LOL!)Made me feel better anyway!

2002 Solaris T-2363