Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Kittys Storm Report

Well, if you watched any weather last week, you might have noticed that WV got hammered by VERY high winds, here is the tale of my storm incident:

YEAH, I have power. We had a terrible storm, mostly wind that cause LOTS of damage. I live on a private dirt lane, about 2 blocks off the sorta main road. Well, of course it's tree lined on each side, and the power lines are just a "PRIME TARGET" for falling trees. There are four homes on this lane, myself, my son and 2 other families. Well, a large tree came down around 2am wednesday morning and took out major power & cable lines, but that was happeing all over the state due to the winds. My son (lives right next door) his home is also total electric like mine, so when his house started to get cool, that woke him to discover no power. He was out at 4am along with neighbor cutting the tree into pieces so it could be moved, BUT they had to try to watch for the wires also. I woke at 6:38 and I normally get up at 5:30 and go out to pre-trip my bus at 6:40. Talk about throwing clothes on, HAHA. I skipped the pretip to make it to my bus aide and first stop on time. When I returned home, I called the power company and got told "Best estimate for power to be back on was sunday afternoon" I was not happy to say the least.

So, I pulled out 3 kerosene lamps, and the kero heater and that was my heat and lighting for thurs, friday, and saturday morning. Power company got power back up "temporarily", and cable was down until today. But there are STILL lines laying on the ground, and we are not pushing our luck, so we are using power sparingly.
I don't appear to have any damage to my home nor do my son or neighbors, just lines down. There is a lot of damage county wide, roofs tore off, trees down, a mobile home pulled off it's foundation, sheds tossed around and ruined, so we were very fortunate.

Thursday evening was the start of the series "Survivor" which I like to watch, but I had no power, so, HUM , I thought wonder "IF" tv will play in the Sunline with it under the RV PORT ? So, I go out to start generator, won't start, DUH, needs battery, carry battery out of house to trailer, darn, it's dead, ok, will have to pull truck over to jump battery, NAH, pull bus over to jump battery, use their fuel , ok, got that all hooked up, George drives in and he went inside to connect TV and crank up antenna (can't crank up all the way due to RVPort), thank goodness I have flashlights with good batteries in them. OK, will genny start ? crossed fingers, I push the button and wahoo, I have power. Turn on tv, and channel 9 came in crystal clear. OK, now I want to eat, so we run over to little convience store, get subs, back in time for start of survivor, eat dinner, watch tv, left bus running the whole time. After Survivor, turned things off, and friday after work, I shut things up again, brought battery back in and when power fixed correctly I will hook up the battery minder that I bought a month ago

Friday, still heating with kero heater, and no cable for TV or internet (I got bored). I had gone over to my girlfriends on thursday morning and got large buckets of water so I could use toilet, and heat water on the kero heater. friday morning, son borrowed a generator and got it connected so well pump would work so we could have running water.'

Saturday(2/14) morning electric company arrived, got us power but they said it's "a TEMPORARY FIX", try to limit useage to prevent overloading it (Son & I have total electric homes), but we are trying to conserve. I saw cable company here this am (2/15), and now internet working, cable was working yesterday. So, I feel "almost" whole again.

OK, while all this was going on, I was babysitting a greyhound for friend on vacation in the Carribean, and I had picked up another grey on tuesday night from a home that did not work out, so I was fostering that one until saturday. I know most of you will say I was nuts having 3 greys in the house, but honestly, having them here kept me occupied and kept my mind off of having no conviences. KD & Harley had no problems with the 2 extra greys being here. So now I will probably become a "foster mom" whenever I can , for greys waiting to go to their forever homes

SO, that's a shortened version of my past 4 or 5 days, and it's times like these that I often think about how nice it would be to have another person in the house to help me out.

OH another note, got call from nursing home about mom, she is now refusing to eat, no matter what they try for her, and they wanted to ask me about any favorite foods she might want. So, I don't know what's going on there, but will be dealing with that issue tomorrow, oops no, can't have to see dietician, then bone density test then mamogram plus my morning and afternoon bus runs SO, check on moms situation is now on wednesdays list, when will I ever catch a break

Kitty, KD & Harley

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #2

SUN #115
emam
Hey Kitty, glad to hear that you survived the storm. Cindy and I were passing through your neck of the woods and sat out that same storm over in Lewisburgh (SP?) about an hour below Charlestville (SP?)

Probably one of the scariest nights we've ever spent in the Sunline. There were times I thought the thing was going to levitate due to the winds and a few times you could hear dishes banging in the cupboards!

We spoke with some other friends we just stayed with in Virginia who told us their camper is where they spend their days anytime the main power goes down.

He was saying that it's like a little mini vacation because the whole area will be without power, but they have a generator like you, so they'll just go sit out there and watch tv, play cards or hang out till the regular power comes back on.

We were talking saying that us RVers really dont have to worry about losing power, as we have a fully self supported guest house already to go

Glad to hear you're ok.

As for your mom, she'll be in our prayers.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #3

SUN #382
Mooney
"We were talking saying that us RVers really dont have to worry about losing power, as we have a fully self supported guest house already to go"

Yeah, I tell Kelly that all the time- we don't have to worry about (insert issue here with weather catastrophes, landlords, jobs, etc...) that, we can just jump in the camper and go if we need or want to!

Kitty, I hope everything improves quickly for you- I have a friend up here that lives in Yarmouth, MA who is a big-time Grey supporter, she has adopted two now (awaiting one still)- the first is Social Twist, who was a great racer, and the second has freshly retired- but I forget that one's name.

Greys are pretty cool animals- like a cat, but a dog...and I still don't believe how fast they are.
'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Greg,

Things are just about back to normal, except the hole in the roof of my mobile home, I have bought the new plywood, flt paper & shingles, now son will fix that ASAP. But we got snow, sleet & rain today

I am amazed at the disposition of greyhounds, they are so like having a cat, pretty much like to nap about 22 hours a day, don't smell when they get wet (no oily skin), walk so calmly on a leash, and they are just beautiful animals. I have become very involved in greyhound rescue and love doing the work.

KD is from Seabrook, NH, her registered name is "Birdie Putt", and she was born 11-28-04. She was seriously injured in her first race, and well the rest is history. I adopted KD on 8-18-06(she wasn't even 2 years old yet)

Huge "ROOS" to your friend for being a greyhound adopter.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote